THE ARTOIS ACCOUNT

Phoebe202

Woodcut.thumb.jpg.7db6c1df81e67384e9873fc93db35c8b.jpg

Amico Aspertini - Female Saint Holding a Book

THE ARTOIS ACCOUNT

In the aftermath of the Brascan separation, many have come forth with questions about what occurred. Now, after an extended period of silence nearing a full year, I, the Baronne d’Artois, have come to inform the masses whom are clearly nothing short of ravenous for answers.  I had intended to post this one the one year anniversary, but this silence has beencorroborated by all others involved, and recent developments involving Aaun and Veletz compelled me to speak sooner. As I’m sure many recall the dazed sort of mood I was in shortly after all this, I guarantee to the public that the events which transpired have been supported by the accounts of my husband, Lord Aldric Barbanov-Ludovar, who was in perfect health at the time and thus has nothing afflicting his memory of what transpired. – Or at least the parts he was present for.

In month of the Sun’s Smile of Atstana de

Regne Petrère 89, The Baron af Brasca issued a public letter in which he demanded a moot to try and force my father from his position as the head of House Halcourt, the reasoning for which being his advancing age and retirement from all other governmental posts. My father swiftly replied, asserting his ability to lead the family – and that the implication that he was too old for such was an insult not only to himself, but also to Her Majesty, as they are the same age.

A copy of the letters exchanged can be viewed here:

In the month following, the Baron and Her Majesty, Renilde of Petra met to discuss the fate of House Halcourt with no prior notice given towards the Branch of Artois, the result of which being the forfeiture of the Brascans’ identity as members of House Halcourt. Those of Artois were ordered to vacate Beaumont instantly, and the Margraviate of Clermont was dissolved.

When the Baron-Consort heard this news, he flew into a blind rage – his Raevir values of honor and loyalty found this act unacceptable and of the worst sort of treachery. After confirming the safe return of myself and our children to Chambery, he and his cousin marched on Beaumont demanding satisfaction – a simple duel, to protect the honor of his sickly, bedridden wife and the honor of his children – to which he was denied. Was this such an abominable request? Should a peer of the realm not be supported by their consort? Was the quickness to anger on the part of Her Majesty and the Baron af Brasca culturally insensitive in regards to Aldric’s upbringing in Haense; and the Raevir standards for honor and familial duty? Especially considering Her Majesty’s own consort, also of Raevir descent not to mention a Prince of Haense, fought for her honor in a duel to the death against her prior consort following the Petran Civil War?

The Crown of Petra ordered myself and my father to meet with Her Majesty to determine who the holder of Artois would be, and upon our arrival we were met with nothing short of an ambush.

A copy of the message detailing the standards of the meeting (myself, my father, and Her Majesty) is included herein:

Upon our arrival, swords were drawn against Aldric and myself. Aldric, too, drew his sword in an effort to protect me. Aldric was ordered to sheathe his weapon, to which he stated: “I sheathe my blade when this fiend sheathes his. It was not I that pulled blades first.”  In response to the notion that harming an expectant mother was uncalled for, one of the men in question declared “Heard some funny things,” – “Risk it, friend.” It should be noted, too, that the onlookers were not only Petran – I saw many wearing attire commonly found in Aaun and Veletz. They watched on silently as this atrocity was carried out, despite being perfectly capable of intervention.

Aldric challenged the Baron to a duel once more, this time publicly. And was denied once more. Furthermore, the Baron stated that he has no honor, stating: “I am no knight, nor bound by honor.” Is it so surprising that a man who publicly admits his lack of honor would usurp his family so?

To quote my husband’s own words regarding the incident; “[That] Not accepting a duel laid before you is an act of cowardice, and thus it shall be known.”

The queen spoke of meeting with Aldric about things privately, but that I should be returned home given my prior medical state – I refused to leave his side, for the same demands that shall be spoken of upon my reasons for his remaining.

During this, the doors were blocked off and demands were made that Aldric should be returned to his home country of Haense, to which I objected as we were united in Holy Matrimony before the people of the Commonwealth and before GOD; and thus could not be separated. This basis was denied, however, and Aldric was torn away from my side.
He has spoken of going to the church about the cruelty shown to myself - then an expectant mother - and I have no doubt he followed through with this promise.

At this point, knowledge regarding a misspelling in public patent for the Margravate of Clermont became a point of contention, and the gathering was dismissed for a break while Her Majesty looked into it. Upon returning, the discussion devolved into an argument of if House Halcourt had the original copy of the document in their possession, or a mere copy, as the official one was the only copy Her Majesty deemed valid.

The Letters Patent, official and publicized, deems this for the Margavate of Clermont:

Willing and by these Bestows granting for Us Our heirs and successors that he and his heirs aforesaid and every of them successively may enjoy and use all the rights, privileges, pre-eminences, immunities and advantages to the degree of a Marquisate duly and of right belonging which Marquisates of our Archducal Commonwealth do at present use and enjoy.

The full document may be seen here:

Following this, mon pere was labeled a traitor, and the argument devolved yet again – to complete and utter chaos. I informed Her Majesty that if the meeting was not going to occur any time soon, I would return home with Lord Aldric. To this, Her Majesty stated: “Theonuses, bring Lady Ludovar to Haense with her most loyal husband.” A most painful remark from Sovreign to one of her most loyal peers, her own goddaughter. The woman entrusted with caring for the legal heir to the Commonwealth of the Petra, an orphan, on top of that. An orphan who was brought forth to witness these events, at least in part, at such a tender age where if she were not the heir, would only be concerned with matters such as schoolwork and making friends.

Following this, someone attempted to set off a bomb in the palace, and everyone present was detained – even myself, after Queen Renilde’s prior decree. Things settled a bit after it was revealed to only be Cockatrice gas, but nevertheless, I was held in such a state whilst handicapped and heavily pregnant. But, why? In what world would this act be acceptable?

Shortly after this, I was transported to Haense. An especially cruel measure, given that it is currently experiencing a blizzard and I was not given so much as a blanket to keep myself warm on the journey there. Non, it is a miracle I am alive at all.

I shall end this summary with a mere line of questioning: Was this chain of events at all acceptable? Should a sovereign intervene in familial matters such as this without giving prior notice to all involved parties? If a peer is deemed too old and incapable of holding their position, should the sovereign demanding such not be obligated abdicate at the same age as the peer?

On a separate note, I am overjoyed to announce that two months following the events, I safely delivered my secondborn child and firstborn daughter, Marceline Josefina d’Artois de Clermont.

Spoiler

Signed, 

The Right Honorable, Elara Athénaïs Halcourt d’Artois de Clermont, Baronne d’Artois, Royal Governess to the Children of the Petra

The Right Honorable, Lord Aldric Hektor Ludovar, Baron-Consort of Artois

Sir Laurens ‘the Unwavering’ Halcourt d’Artois looked upon the missive submitted to the Realm by his daughter the Baronne d’Artois and nodded approvingly. 

“What has been done, mon fille Elara, is most tragic.” Muttered the former Marquis du Clermont; taking in a deep breath. 

Princeps In Omnibvs.

The Heir to Celia'tahn, Azrael Adiler reads over the letter from his residence in Celia'tahn. "and the full story comes to the light, how intriguing." The elf sighed, thankfully it was not his problem to deal with and so he brought the missive to the Baron of Celia'tahn for him to comment on.

Elara's mother had been close by to her during her time in Haense shivering like a leaf. 

"Ei want to go home! Vy must be joking mei if vy think Ei will be stuck here without the rest of my children. Where are they?" 

With her strawberry-blonde locks cascading like a fiery waterfall, Odelia Af Brasca gazed upon the account, eyes filled with a tumultuous storm of emotions. "The Halcourts," the eldest Brascian lamented, her voice trembling with sorrow, “Ils ont été une famille plus intime à mon cœur que ceux liés par le sang.” - “In utter dismay, I must declare that the torment that has befallen them is utterly unjust."

Lord Aldric Hektor of House Ludovar gripped a wooden training sword as he beat against a wooden post, waiting for his time.

The Baron of Celia'tahn received the missive from his son Azrael, and read it over, shaking his head once he finished. Folding the missive, he looked back to his son "Seems it's time to request an ordinance with the Queen. Azrael, do send a letter to Sir Laurens, and give him and his family our regards" the elf hummed, thinking for a moment "Perhaps invite them for tea"

@Kaii

While recently taking her trip to norland on her trip around aevos, a bird came down and delivered the missive to her, scowling, the woman ripped it to shreds and tossed it into the flames of the ashen tree " Our nation has gone to shit, let it burn just like its predecessor has before, i will no longer bleed for it thats for sure " Reaching to her shoulder she ripped her patch off of her pauldron, the patch that was supposed to be a symbol of peace in petra, one of honor and stability, yet it was soiled so easily.. Estrid sighed, allowing the candles to burn the patch into ash, afterwards, she pulled her red cloak off of her back, the one gifted to her by philip, one of the best generals to grace the petra guard, with sadness, she threw that to into the flames as well, watching everything she had worked for turn to ash. Stiffening her form, she saluted " Flowing water, let the tyrants of the commonwealth perish. " and with that, the woman watched, she watched as everything she once held dear to her heart burned and fizzled out with the wind, though she did not cry, for she had no more tears to shed for something she had mourned long ago

On 10/9/2023 at 3:35 AM, MockingbirdArt said:

The Baron of Celia'tahn received the missive from his son Azrael, and read it over, shaking his head once he finished. Folding the missive, he looked back to his son "Seems it's time to request an ordinance with the Queen. Azrael, do send a letter to Sir Laurens, and give him and his family our regards" the elf hummed, thinking for a moment "Perhaps invite them for tea"

@Kaii

Sir Laurens smiled as he received a letter from the Baron Adiler, thanking him warmly in a return letter with haste.