ON MY PREVIOUS REMARKS ON THE NORDLINGS AND OTHER AFFAIRS RELATED TO THE BARD BATTLE

Malins Welcome

OOC:

Spoiler

[!] An Elf sits down, expression haggard, stares into the camera, and sighs deeply.

A Public Letter

Some have marked with annoyance some remarks I made a number of Saint’s Days ago wherewith I rhetorically severed Norland from all cultured lands. Indeed, this may seem to be an uncharacteristic example of malicious slander on my own part, but nothing could be further from the truth. I had been told by very reliable sources that certain gestures that represent common courtesy in every single other culture known to the descendants of Man represented in Norland a grave insult. From this information it was naturally concluded that likewise grave insults would be considered a common courtesy in those lands, and that was the true intention of my opening salvo. Now I see my error: that both courtesy and insult are considered insults alike in Norland, and, having no other ways to interact, I will trouble those people no longer.

I did bow as I left the room. However, this bow was directed not at the Nordlingers, but at Headmisteress Inny Yuln’aher, who, not being Nordlingish, I trusted to be able to interpret the bow in a way that was not the diametric opposite of how everyone everywhere interpreted bowing. I hoped that she had not forgotten the reading of gesture as she seemed to have forgotten any Bardic practice that does not involve a connection to her mana, or even as she seems to have forgotten the procedures of a Bard Battle. As eager as she was to throw down on her own terms and in a crowd most positively disposed toward her, now several Saint’s Days have passed and neither myself nor my second, Rhosyn Stafyr, have been contacted by herself or her second to negotiate terms. I don’t blame her if such events have simply slipped her mind in the midst of her excessively busy schedule, but this sort of delay will begin to raise questions if it drags on for too long.

I await your response as I once awaited response from my previous communications to you.

Friend

The Head Researcher on Breaking The Laws of the Cosmos and Limits of Mana listens to the audio-narration of this letter. "He already surrendered didn't he?"

"I only hear a coward making excuses." A certain Norlandic bard scoffs as she crumbles up the letter. From her window, she unceremoniously tosses it to the Ashwood.

The Freysson Purifier only makes it two and a third sentences in before promptly ripping the paper up. “Better to be used as Kindling. Even then, it would be an insult to use his words to warm our young and cook our food.”

"Ignorance is often a misadventure many trek upon willingly." The High Keeper mused, having looked over the publicly addressed letter, thoroughly. "The act of bowing, or any form of prostration is not truly an insulting gesture upon whoever such submission is given towards, but an insult toward the self. As per the belief of the Red Faith and thusly, Norlanders. Such gestures are frowned upon due to our belief that no mortal man is worthy of reverence only imparted upon divinity, enough so that his fellow man is beneath him; such faith is placed only in the Father, our Red-Lord. Verily, this act of submission is often considered 'insulting', since it is a display of submission toward another mortal man, and thus the submitter lacks any sense of dignity or self-respect."

"...Who finds bowing offensive? I thought you're supposed to bow to people to show respect?" The extremely confused Musin asked out loud. "Bigguns are weird." They sigh.

Farian Malto-Gylldene, owner of the land on which Friend insulted his home country, lets out a sigh as he reads through the entirety of this apology, speaking in his usual monotonous tone. "...is it not this man's job to study cultures?"

Spoiler

OOC: The Great Norlandic Ratio.

A bard who should not be a bard finally got the missive after several years as is common for his forgetful self "Huh"