[✗] [Amendment] Corcitură buff

KKgame1

In their current state, the strength of the Corcitură only differs very slightly from the descendants they hail from.

In my opinion, this "weakness" hampers the Corcituri's abilities to perform as actual threats toward somewhat combat-ready descendants.

I hope to make a Vampire more of a threat by adding two one passive boon to their kit.

Before beginning, I'd like to also add:

Due to the Siliti being shelved, the dichotomy between lesser vampires and greater vampires, which once perfectly justified the corcituri's weakness, no longer exists.

Hence why I'm making this post.

Additions:

Boon 1:

Enhanced Perception

[Manifests at Tier 2 (4 OOC weeks after infection)]

Spoiler

As the influence of Eireamhan's cursed blood spreads through a fresh corcitură's veins, they will find their senses greatly enhanced.

Beyond the darkvision that all their kind are privy to, they will be able to detect even very slight sensations, the kind that seems nigh unnoticeable to a normal descendant, at a glance. 

Be that the metallic smell of an escaped victim's blood, the stench of a pursuer's sweat, or the slightest smell of poison in their drink.

Beyond the realms of smell, they may hear the barely noticeable sound of crackling torches or the silent footsteps of an assassin, ready and primed to hunt the corcitură down.

Corcituri of this stage may also be able to hear conversations they previously only heard as muffled mumblings.

Due to the enhancement of their senses, very pungent smells may be very uncomfortable for a corcitură, possibly overwhelming their senses and making them blind to the more fine smells.

Particularly the horrid smell of rotting corpses and the pungent smell of freshly cut garlic will completely overwhelm corcituri, almost entirely overloading their senses, reducing even their fine hearing and enhanced eyesight to that of a normal descendant.
This, of course, also applies to deafeningly loud noises like explosions, those being downright painful to corcituri and possibly deafening them momentarily, if one is close enough to be affected by the noise.

In addition, due to their more sensitive eyes, any blinding light, like the blinding flash that flash powder produces, may blind a corcitură for longer.

Outside of combative use, this ability would also allow for Corcitură blacksmiths or artisans to make masterworks of their craft, being able to detect even the slightest flaw in a blade, cloth, or canvas.

Mechanically:

- Corcituri may listen in on #q conversations that they hear as *muffled*.

[This may be done by having both sides of the conversation /msg their respective posts to the corc in question, or having the corc OOCly enter the room to listen in while IRPly standing outside the door.]

Redlines:

- This only slightly increases a vampire's perception, while giving them an advantage it does not allow them to perfectly spy on people from across a city.

- If within 10 blocks of an explosion or a similarly deafening noise, the corcitura 

- Corcituri may only listen in on #q coversations as long as they can see the "[Persona name]:*Muffled*" message.

- The enhanced senses of a corcitura get completely nullified when within 6 blocks of either a rotting corpse or garlic.

- Blinded corcituri stay blinded for 1 turn longer than normal.

- While Corcituri may sense the presence of people on the other side of walls, this can only be done in an 8-block radius.

Boon 2:

Enhanced Agility.

[Manifests at Tier 3 (12 OOC weeks after infection.]

Spoiler

Once the writhing curse within their blood takes complete hold of a descendant, they are afforded a mere fraction of the speed their greater siliti counterparts possess.

Movements begin to feel easier to a bearer of the cursed blood, this allows them to greatly outmatch their normal descendant counterpart in direct speed.

In addition to their increase in speed, their reaction times increase to suit the freshly matured coritură's newfound agility.

This allows them to easily outmatch a single descendant in direct battle, making it much easier to block or avoid any incoming attacks while following up with a blindingly quick flurry of claw swipes.

Even outside of the boon's use in close-quarters combat, the vampire might use their speed to avoid foes, quickly outrunning most who give chase.
In very rare cases, curcituri might even be able to catch an arrow mid-air, though this is known to be a great feat, even amongst their cursed kind.

Mechanically:

- Within CRP, the corcitură may move 10 blocks instead of the usual 8.

Redlines:

- While this does increase their speed, this boon does not increase a corcitură's strength

- Despite outmatching descendants in a 1 on 1 fight, corcituri will still find themselves struggling against groups of foes.

[Cut, only left in the text to make comments make sense]

Though I've run this through two seperate spelling checkers, english is not my first language, so there may still be some grammatical errors.

Edited by KKgame1
Boon 1's description and redlines have been expanded

for however long the siliti are in purgatory I fully support corcitura taking up the mantle of the scary vampire trope honestly. however it's also important to note that, to my recollection, the corcitura were distinctly written as a curse/infection, so whether or not they should even be stronger than they currently are is debtable. either way here's my feedback

I think the first boon is pretty cool and could benefit from some more redlining that better defines the limits of this ability. can they hear through walls? can they hear a whispered conversation nearby? can they smell the blood of an opponent sneaking up behind them? etc. these questions are important to ask during lorewriting because if it's not written, somebody will find a way to powergame it. I think an ability like this is best utilized for flavor RP, such as the idea that corcitura can pick up on the most subtlest details of a person's complexion or disposition. maybe they notice if a person has recently been crying, can detect the scent of another corcitura they may have contacted, etc. things like that.

second one however is just extremely OP and is better left to mechanics-based speed that can be tangibly measured and determined. any lore that allows for speed-based agility in combat leads to extremes where people literally dodge every single attack, no matter how impossible or unfeasible it is to dodge because "lore says I can," and corcitura are a rather unrestricted FA, so I'd sooner expect this to just lead to powergaming incidents en-masse and lead to the creature getting shelved

I would rather just see the cap on 12 weeks before they're unpurgable be removed. 

28 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

for however long the siliti are in purgatory I fully support corcitura taking up the mantle of the scary vampire trope honestly. however it's also important to note that, to my recollection, the corcitura were distinctly written as a curse/infection, so whether or not they should even be stronger than they currently are is debtable. either way here's my feedback

I think the first boon is pretty cool and could benefit from some more redlining that better defines the limits of this ability. can they hear through walls? can they hear a whispered conversation nearby? can they smell the blood of an opponent sneaking up behind them? etc. these questions are important to ask during lorewriting because if it's not written, somebody will find a way to powergame it. I think an ability like this is best utilized for flavor RP, such as the idea that corcitura can pick up on the most subtlest details of a person's complexion or disposition. maybe they notice if a person has recently been crying, can detect the scent of another corcitura they may have contacted, etc. things like that.

second one however is just extremely OP and is better left to mechanics-based speed that can be tangibly measured and determined. any lore that allows for speed-based agility in combat leads to extremes where people literally dodge every single attack, no matter how impossible or unfeasible it is to dodge because "lore says I can," and corcitura are a rather unrestricted FA, so I'd sooner expect this to just lead to powergaming incidents en-masse and lead to the creature getting shelved

1. For the first boon you perfectly caught my intention yes, it is mainly ment to serve as flavor, I'll expand the redlines and definitions when I wake up.

2. Very fair. Though I still wish to implement this to some extent, for now it's been cut.

Edited by KKgame1

1 hour ago, KKgame1 said:

they will be able to detect even very slight sensations, the kind that seems nigh unnoticeable to a normal descendant, at a glance. Be that weak spots in an opponent's armor

looks very powergamey

'dude how are you slicing through my armour every swing'

'i feel ur weakspot bro im a corc'

needs a redline to fix it and clarify what is actually noticeable via these 'sensations' or just remove mention of finding weakspots in opponents armour

1 hour ago, KKgame1 said:

Outside of combative use, this ability would also allow for Corcitură blacksmiths or artisans to make masterworks of their craft, being able to detect even the slightest flaw in a blade, cloth, or canvas.

cool flavour lore.

(maybe unintentionally?) ties into siliti lore, reminds me of illia's bloodline and it's dowsing ability

Bring back siliti, dis gud tho

It's an interesting contrast for me in that a CA shouldn't NEED powers or progression to make a good character -- like Unwillingly points out, it's a curse/infection and pretty easy to get cured.

The contrast comes in that while Corcs aren't personally impeded by a lack of power, they can't readily fill the role of a threatening CA to the community at large because they don't have any tools to be a threat with.

When you break it down, Vampires are really more of a pest than ... Well, Vampires in the more traditional narrative sense. 

I agree it would work a lot better for Corcs beyond 3 months of infection to get some kind of enhancement so they can better fill antagonistic roles. 

For context, I play a Corc and he's really fun. However, I can never really be a threat to other players with him - I can only ever be somewhat vampiric via socially engineering in RP get a character in a disadvantageous situation, which is obviously very hard to do in the current climate where everyone is on high alert for Darkspawn.

So, it's moreso a question for ST -- do they want this CA to fulfill a more traditional Vampire niche, or remain as a pest?

If they do want to make it more threatening, though, I think a few more comprehensive changes than the ones here ought to be proposed. I just don't really think what's set out in the OP actually does a whole lot to realize a threat.

6 hours ago, rukio said:

I would rather just see the cap on 12 weeks before they're unpurgable be removed. 

I would be pretty opposed to this though, narratively this makes it pretty hard to justify your character being a Corc at all. It really renders the point of the CA null if the curse can be undone with a widespread cure.

1 hour ago, Xarkly said:

I would be pretty opposed to this though, narratively this makes it pretty hard to justify your character being a Corc at all. It really renders the point of the CA null if the curse can be undone with a widespread cure.

I would agree if it was harder to be turned into a corc. 

19 minutes ago, rukio said:

I would agree if it was harder to be turned into a corc. 

How come that's contingent on it though?

Being able to turn people with ease is one of the few current vindicators for Corc being a threat to RP communities in that they work more like an infectious disease. 

I think it's somewhat self-regulating since Corcs are very actively hunted both passively (i.e. aurum tests in cities) and actively (i.e. anti Darkspawn factions). So, if you comply with the terms of the CA and feed regularly, it's a fairly impressive feat to survive over 3 months so I think passing that milestone and becoming incurable is a good junction to upgrade from pest to threat.

Granted, the above is assuming Corc PK if killed if they are caught and refuse a cure, but people not PKing is always an occupational hazard.

Unless we did a Corc PK clause .....

8 hours ago, KKgame1 said:

Enhanced Perception

Hide contents

As the influence of Eireamhan's cursed blood spreads through a fresh corcitură's veins, they will find their senses greatly enhanced.

Beyond the darkvision that all their kind are privy to, they will be able to detect even very slight sensations, the kind that seems nigh unnoticeable to a normal descendant, at a glance. Be that weak spots in an opponent's armor, the metallic smell of an escaped victim's blood, or the barely noticeable sound of crackling torches, ready and primed to hunt the corcitură down.

Redlines:

- This only slightly increases a vampire's perception, while giving them an advantage it does not allow them to perfectly spy on people from across a city.

As long as this isn't use to find weakspots in armor where there typically are none

For example, a Corcitura shouldn't be able just "*slashes at the weakspot in their armor!" even though realistically slashing through a full plated opponent's armor would be very infeasible. 

Corcitura should still go through the same measures to defeat armor as everyone else

9 hours ago, KKgame1 said:

Boon 1:

Enhanced Perception

Hide contents

Beyond the darkvision that all their kind are privy to, they will be able to detect even very slight sensations, the kind that seems nigh unnoticeable to a normal descendant, at a glance. Be that weak spots in an opponent's armor, the metallic smell of an escaped victim's blood, or the barely noticeable sound of crackling torches, ready and primed to hunt the corcitură down.

Redlines:

feels very abusable in CRP. a nice flavour idea but unsure if going so far as to point out weak spots in armour without proper red lines is a sensible idea - perhaps make it flavour only? it'd be great lore if it was

36 minutes ago, satinkira said:

feels very abusable in CRP. a nice flavour idea but unsure if going so far as to point out weak spots in armour without proper red lines is a sensible idea - perhaps make it flavour only? it'd be great lore if it was

Tbf I don't really understand the point of the weak spot inclusion nor the criticism of it.

Anyone can aim for the weak spots in someone's armour (i.e) joints, so I hardly see how that's at all abusable, nor how it's a product of any kind of heightened sense. Seems redundantly underpowered rather than OP.

1 hour ago, Xarkly said:

How come that's contingent on it though?

Being able to turn people with ease is one of the few current vindicators for Corc being a threat to RP communities in that they work more like an infectious disease. 

I think it's somewhat self-regulating since Corcs are very actively hunted both passively (i.e. aurum tests in cities) and actively (i.e. anti Darkspawn factions). So, if you comply with the terms of the CA and feed regularly, it's a fairly impressive feat to survive over 3 months so I think passing that milestone and becoming incurable is a good junction to upgrade from pest to threat.

Granted, the above is assuming Corc PK if killed if they are caught and refuse a cure, but people not PKing is always an occupational hazard.

Unless we did a Corc PK clause .....

The part about feeding I'd agree with if there weren't so many people who admit OOC and IRP that they just willingly let corcs feed on them. It isn't hard to stay fed as a corc, I've watched multiple corcs mald OOC when caught through RP, witnessed some just flat out log off if I show up to purge them. 

We live in a world of "oh you want to test ME? That must be metagaming".

Corc being unpurgable made more sense to me when Siliti existed and there was something higher they could become. It already requires OOC consent for them to be purged and has terrible side effects. I'd even be down for there to be a harder to do cure needed after the 3 month period but I think something SHOULD exist, especially for people who don't want that narrative for their character anymore. 

Despite all the annoyances I've experienced from people not PKing when they've been hunted down and killed for things they did (esp. when it led to someone else being pk'd) I am very anti enforced PK clause. Let people enjoy their characters.

13 minutes ago, rukio said:

The part about feeding I'd agree with if there weren't so many people who admit OOC and IRP that they just willingly let corcs feed on them. It isn't hard to stay fed as a corc, I've watched multiple corcs mald OOC when caught through RP, witnessed some just flat out log off if I show up to purge them. 

We live in a world of "oh you want to test ME? That must be metagaming".

Corc being unpurgable made more sense to me when Siliti existed and there was something higher they could become. It already requires OOC consent for them to be purged and has terrible side effects. I'd even be down for there to be a harder to do cure needed after the 3 month period but I think something SHOULD exist, especially for people who don't want that narrative for their character anymore. 

Despite all the annoyances I've experienced from people not PKing when they've been hunted down and killed for things they did (esp. when it led to someone else being pk'd) I am very anti enforced PK clause. Let people enjoy their characters.

Yes, a lot of this does come from the vacuum created by the loss of siliti. Rather than a more advanced cure and the 3 month marker, I would much rather see Corc grow stronger, though. I still feel as if a cure at that stage largely undermines the CA and further removes any weight and threat it provides. It feels more like doubling down on the pest aesthetic which I think is the more boring route to take.

I'm kind of with the school of thought that a CA shouldn't be easy to cure and that it's a core component of your character that should not be trivialised. That Corc can be cured for 3 months is very suitable for the narrative of them being cursed, but after that point it feels like a very conscious decision to keep your character cursed and I think the cure remaining accessible just kind of cheapens that, when instead we should encourage people who make the conscious choice to forego the cure and KEEP their character cursed lean more into the vampire aesthetic.

With that in mind, I think the natural solution is just an upgrade for the CA after 3 months.