The Oren Inquisition

Chaqery

The Inquisition

Inquisition.jpg

Agents of the Emperor

The newly reformed Inquisition of Oren seeks to rise from the ashes of it's past. With a radical priority shift, and the authority vested in it by the Inquisitorial Edict, the Inquisition's role is to serve as the elite agents of the Emperor himself. Their specialty lies in their ability to seek out, investigate, and pass judgement upon all other Imperial persons and Organizations in order to cleanse Heresy, Incompetence, and Treason. They are handpicked by the current members of the Inquisition, and each is said to be devoutly loyal to the Emperor above all.

Part I: The Inquisitorial Edict

As the Empire would be nonexistent without the Emperor himself, and as the Inquisition must seek to uphold the Empire, the Inquisition must be the executors of the Emperor’s will. It must safeguard the Empire from Treason, Incompetence, and Heresy.

The Inquisition is to be completely autonomous; it should not be beholden to, under the authority of, or held responsible to any Imperial organization or person except his Divinity the Emperor himself.

Because the Inquisition are the watchdogs of the Empire, answerable only to themselves (And the Emperor), given almost absolute power, along with such broad jurisdiction, corruption is an ever present danger. Its integrity should therefore be upheld by constant self-policing and scrutiny. Such a task falls to the inner circle of the Inquisition, to be named.

As a completely autonomous Imperial organisation beyond the power of the Nobility or Church, the Inquisition is the power of the Emperor. As the Inquisition's duties involve the scrutiny and policing of the other organisations of the Empire, the Inquisition itself is answerable to no higher power except the Emperor. No one, except the Emperor himself, is beyond the scrutiny of the Inquisition. This power is officially known as the Inquisitorial Edict.

Because of such, it shall no longer be required that an Inquisitor first be made a Knight of Oren. To retain this requirement is to suggest that the Inquisition relies on the Holy Order of the Red Dragon, which is false. Even the aforementioned Holy Order is not spared the potential scrutiny or investigation of the Inquisition, as treason, incompetence, and heresy are most heinous crimes, especially when committed by men of such high stature and trust. None but the Emperor are immune to the effects of corruption.

The same applies to the officials of the Church. The Pope, Archbishops, Bishops, Priests, and any other recognized officials and agents of the Church are not spared scrutiny or investigation by the Inquisition if it is believed they have been affect by corruption. It is, however, understood that to investigate a suspicion of treason, incompetence, or heresy within the Church is a very serious matter and must be handled with the utmost respect and gravity.

Section II: The Inquisitorial Code

24459.jpg

The Inquisitorial Code is the foundation of all Inquisitor's beliefs.As an acolyte, they are taught the deeper meanings behind the code, as well as the tools they are equiped with in order to accomplish their rather daunting task of keeping Oren safe, efficient, and just. The Code is as follows:

Suffer not the Traitor, the Incompetent, the Heretic.

So long as the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, there can be no peace.

Seek always the truth.

Protect the innocent at all cost.

Be ever vigilant. Corruption can touch even the most noble.

The Emperor is the ultimate authority.

Section III: Recruitment into the Inquisition

Potential Inquisitors come from all walks of life, from humble farmers' sons to highborn nobles’ daughters. It is a matter of who shows the most promise as opposed to who is the most well-born. Let it be noted though, that while there is not a prejudice against women joining the Inquisition, it is much more difficult for a non-human to enter the ranks. This is due to the nature of the Inquisition itself. They are, as stated before, the elite agents of the Emperor of Oren, an officially human empire, ran by a human (though thought to be divine) Emperor.

As is the case with all the aspects of the Inquisition, the matter of recruitment is not a centralized process but the power to invest it within others is left in the hands of the individual Inquisitors. Some are known to not recruit at all and instead spend their years of service in pursuit of their enemies as well as dedicating their hours to duty for the rest of their lives. Others, however, feel that it is one of their many burdens to bring about the next generation of Inquisitors who are destined to carry forth the battle that the Inquisition must wage. Ultimately, the matter is left to the judgment of the individual Inquisitors who are subject only to the scrutiny of their peers. A majority of Inquisitors typically leave such matters to chance or perhaps to fate in regards to picking a suitable candidate from amongst the groups of individuals whose paths cross that of the Inquisition. There are a number of Inquisitors who are more rigorous in regard to the pursuit of apprentices and will spent a proportion of their time seeking suitable candidates - sometimes from the ranks of other Imperial organizations.

There exists no set criteria in regards to physical condition for a possible candidate when being selected to join the ranks of the Inquisition. All that is required is proof of intelligence and loyalty which are key requisites for such a choice though there is no proper method of judging these attributes until later in life. However, there may exist an extraordinary circumstance which are uncommon practices which leads to an Inquisitor choosing a boy or girl whilst they are still within their teens though this is only the case if the subject shows exceptional ability. Generally, an Inquisitor will take note of an individual if they are a free-thinking person with willpower and determination as well as unflinching principles. If a suitable candidate is found, they will become part of the Inquisitor's retinue where they may serve in a minor capacity whilst the Inquisitor continues their evaluation. Those that later prove their worth whilst working with the Inquisitor can be taken into the greater confidence of their lord or lady.

Over the years that pass by, the apprentice will begin to learn what they can of the Inquisitor's knowledge and their many duties. Certain Inquisitors often refer to these semi-skilled individuals as Interrogators though they are more commonly known as Novitiates, Neophytes and as Approbators. At this stage, the individuals can undertake missions of their own or control operations in concert with their master or mistress though ultimately they are still subordinate to them until the Inquisitor fully invests in them. In normal conditions, it is required that the consent of three Inquisitors or an Inquisitor Lord is needed to bestow the full powers of an Inquisitor on an apprentice as well as grant them the Inquisitorial Seal. Whilst this is typically done, there have been occasions which warrant an apprentice taking full Inquisitorial powers immediately. This is likely the case where the Inquisitor in charge has been killed which means the apprentice inherits their master or mistresses' position.

Apprentices may pass from one Inquisitor to another as fate dictates and through this way, the ideals of the Inquisitor are passed and spread during the generational growth. This in turn allows the factions and institutions of the Inquisition to propagate across the centuries. In addition to philosophy, the student also learns what their teacher knows of the internal workings of the Inquisition. An important tradition amongst Inquisitors to earn the knowledge that is theirs as well as the respect of their peers. However, such knowledge cannot be freely given and it cannot be taken without effort as that would devalue the knowledge itself. This goes in line with the saying "Knowledge is Power; Guard it Well."

All Inquisitors begin as Acolytes, apprentice-Inquisitors given over to the tutelage of a more experienced member of the Inquisition. Acolytes accompany a fully experienced Inquisitor in his Inquisitorial duties. He may perform a number of tasks such as warrior, scribe, and interrogator. After a set amount of time, his master will give him a recommendation to the Inner Circle of the Inquisition to advance his pupil to full Inquisitorial rank. After this, the Acolyte is a full Inquisitor and begins his own agenda and operations. Although the Acolyte/Inquisitor is no longer bound to his old master, they will have formed a bond and may work together and help one another in the future.

Section IV: Ranks of the Inquisition

The Emperor - The officially recognized head of the Inquisition is the Emperor himself. While the level of involvement he devotes to the Inquisition is entirely of his own choosing (It’s more than capable of running itself without him, if he so desires), the entire focus of the Inquisition is to carry out his will more directly and ensure that the people or Oren are safe from internal threats, in addition to ensuring that everyone and every Imperial organization is in accordance to his Divinity the Emperor. The Emperor is the ultimate authority.

Inquisitor Lord - Also known as Lord Inquisitors or High Inquisitors, Inquisitor Lords exist to help maintain the integrity of the organisation, and to watch over and guide its members. The title is a recognition of an Inquisitor's power and influence rather than an absolute rank, and is more a formalisation of a position enjoyed by the Inquisitor rather than an actual promotion. Promotion to the ranks of Inquisitor Lord is by invitation only; an Inquisitor must be nominated by an existing Lord and have his nomination approved by two others. It is an honour that is only extended to those that have proven their courage, ability, loyalty and integrity numerous times. The rank of Inquisitor Lord brings with it the highest tier of Inquisitorial authority short of the Emperor himself. The Inquisitor Lords make up the members of the Inner Circle of the Inquisition, and are responsible not only for the regular duties of an Inquisitor, but also policing and scrutinizing the rest of the Inquisition to ensure no corruption seeps into its ranks.

Inquisitor - The standard rank of the Inquisition. The vast majority of the Inquisition is comprised of these individuals, and their responsibilities are all-encompassing. While I can't go on about them for an entire paragraph like the Inquisitor Lord, their role is just as (if not more) important. They seek out and investigate reports or suspicions of heresy, treason, or incompetence, as well as take it upon themselves to pass judgement for these crimes if given suitable evidence. Passing the induction and training of an Acolyte is a task that very few accomplish, and to be named a full Inquisitor not only signifies having earned the respect of the Inquisition (because you're induction has to be approved by three Inquisitors or an Inquisitor Lord).

Acolyte- Servants and aids of Inquisitors. Though not of the rank of Inquisitor's, they are nonetheless considered agents of the Inquisition.

Section V: Justice of the Inquisition

In accordance with the Inquisitorial Edict, the Inquisition has the right to judge all that falls beneath it’s gaze. Nobody is safe from the investigation of the Inquisition except the Emperor himself. It’s this authority that inspires an aura of fear about the Inquisition. The people are never sure whether or not the Inquisition is investigating them, and as a result treason, incompetence, and heresy are often deterred merely by their presence.

In many cases, the Inquisitor is entrusted with being Judge, Jury, and Accuser all at once. They are specially selected from only the most loyal and intelligent of the Emperor’s subjects, and trained (through their time as an Acolyte) to appropriately investigate suspicions of corruption (being treason, incompetence, or heresy) and determine a fitting punishment. It is this authority that permeates fear of the Inquisition. The very presence of an Inquisitor is said to even cause rowdy nobles to step in line and mind their actions and tongue. This authority is also important to bringing about swift justice to critical areas without slowing down the process in a flood of bureaucracy.

The manner in which many Inquisitorial duties are carried out is via the dispatch of an Inquisitor or team of Inquisitors to an area in order to investigate reports of suspected treason, incompetence, or heresy. Using whatever means necessary (usually a sharp wit, clever tongue, and subtle application of authority), the Inquisitor investigates the reports and discover the truth. Alternatively, Inquisitors are expected to travel often, and make routine visitations to the lands within the Oren Empire. This way the true intentions of the Inquisition may be kept secret. A local noble or official will have no way of knowing whether the Inquisitor is there because he happened to be in the area, or if he is tasked with rooting out suspected corruption.

In special cases, the Inner Council of Inquisitor Lords may convene to hold a more formal trial. This is more often seen in the case of accusing a high ranking Church official or head of a Noble family of charges punishable by Inquisitorial authority. This official trial is held to respect the gravity of such accusations, and so that the presence of all the Inquisitor Lords will ensure that the case is very fully and thoroughly reviewed.

In any formal case, the Emperor is welcome to join. If his presence is blessed upon the Inquisitor Lords, then the decision he makes is the final and official one. The Emperor is, after all, the ultimate authority.

Inquisitors have the authority to condemn an entire settlement to Dies Irae if it is deemed to be irredeemably corrupt. Dies Irae is only resorted to when the level of corruption present in the region or settlement is so monumental or irredeemable that it cannot be cleansed by any other means.

insquisitor.pnglordinquisitor.png

((And here's the Inquisitor Armor I skinned! YAAAAAY!))

download1.pngdownload.png

((More skins. For you magic types out there. The Oren Inquisition - stomping heretics in style.))

A handprint is left here, made by an ink-dipped palm pressed against the paper.

I've only heard whispers about the Inquisition... to me that's a good thing. The element of surprise is one of great power. I'm a man of humble status, nobody you've ever heard of, but I don't necessarily want to change that. Sometimes it's good to be nobody. I'd very much like to meet with you, discuss the Oren Inquisition, how you operate, et cetera. I suppose this isn't the most orthodox method of recruitment, me finding you, but I'd like you to know, I'm very interested. I can usually be found lurking around the inns of New Oren. Perhaps the Prancing Pony...

Signed,

The signature here is large, flamboyant, and strangely foreign-looking.

Teryn Vor'qel

* As Corvus leans back in his chair, a man knocks on his door and enters the faintly lit room and places a book on the desk in front of Corvus. The man walks out, and Corvus picks up the strange book, and opens it. All it took was the title of the book to gain Corvus' attention, and as he read down the page, a pleasing grin spread across face*

*Corvus thinks to himself: "Hmm, a well known man I am not. The chances of this book finding me; rare. The chances of the them coming to me, very rare."*

*Corvus stands up, pulls his coat of its hanger and puts it on as he walks out the door, leaving the book on his desk, open at one page. At the top of the page, it says 'The Inquisition'*

((OOC: Hopefully it's clear enough that my character is seeking to join the Inquisition. If you feel like making it much more easier for me, feel free to come find me :P 

((I get the feeling all of Malinor is going to be getting a Dies Irae.))

This current Guild has been deemed inactive and has hereby been moved.<br />

<br />

If you wish to appeal this decision you must present evidence to myself proving the guild is still active.