Sword Of Aestus - The Accursed Blade

Natalie

UITYrR1.gif

Explanation: 

The entire idea of this closely resembles that of Delaselva The Ender Pearl, except that in this instance I would be playing the role of an equivocal longsword. The sword itself is embellished with various markings of different origins, but whilst they greatly improve the looks of the sword they serve no real purpose. The sword itself has but two abilities, they being the following:

The sword has been granted the ability of speech, but will only communicate with the wielder whenever it is unsheathed, whereas if sheathed will become entirely mute. The wielder may also find that the sword will attempt to imitate their speech patterns, as well as their attitude. It should be noted that the Sword of Aestus does not have any pre-existing vocabulary, and won't speak before sufficient knowledge of the wielder's tongue has been accumulated. The sword's attitude, knowledge, and speech pattern will also reset if seperated from the wielder for more than two elven weeks.

The sword's weight, usability, and sharpness would depend on the wielder's abilities, thus rendering it completely useless in the hands of someone without any fundamental combat experience. If wielded by say, something along the lines of a weathered, fierceless brute, the sword would gradually adjust itself to suit their style of combat correspondingly. It would of course require much caution, and time, for this process to be complete, seeing as the likelihood of the sword switching wielder is more than likely to occur if word gets out about this mysterious armament.

As time progresses the sword will either bond with the wielder, or if constantly kept sheathed, become unreliable and attempt to get rid of the wielder by dulling itself whenever the oppertunity strikes. Of course, seeing as nobody would know this in-character the latter is the most probable as the user will undoubtedly attempt to keep it a secret if they happen to be lucky enough to discover its true abilities. I mean, who wouldn't want a sword that impersonates you?

Also, while it may seem that the sword's only means are to help its wielder, it secretly has an entirely different goal with its existence.

History:

Long ago in the Realms of Aegis existed a man who had dedicated most all of his life to the arts of magic, and whilst he had the potential to excel in his profession there was one hindrance that kept drawing his attention elsewhere. Of course, most would think that whatever this disturbance was it could easily be dealt with, but this wasn't the case for Aestus. He was hopelessly in love with a girl of noble blood, and he knew that she was far beyond his reach.

Aestus had long attempted to impress her, but magic never did seem to fancy her in the least. He hadn't been gifted with noteworthy looks, and he often found himself stuttering whenever he had gathered enough courage to talk with her whenever she wasn't caught up with being admired by flocks of guys who longed for her just as he did. Despite the previous results of his attempts to impress her, he continued to search for a way for the two to one day end up  together. Then it struck him - what if he discovered a way to force her into liking him using magic? "Nothing short of a perfect plan!" he thought to himself as he began studying his hardest, hoping to one day fulfill this burning desire that always seemed far-fetched.

Countless years passed, and Aestus had yet to come up with any solutions. Frustrated, he threw the stacks of books aside, making them land all across the dark halls. He had become old, and his perception of reality was twisted beyond repair. His body was frail and malnourished - he had lost everything in his search of an answer for a question he'd long forgotten. 

It was then that the sound of lightning striking nearby filled his chambers. It was too late, he knew what was about to happen. He quickly ran to his desk, his hands rummaging through the drawers as he'd drag out what appeared to be a longsword, well knowing what fate he was about to fall victim to. The doors were quickly rammed down as the unrelenting horde of undead made their way inside, leaving him with only one option left if the many years of research were not to be in vain - he had to complete the ritual.

Alas, Aestus had sacrificed himself in order to complete the ritual in order to finish this accursed blade. The blade itself held already one soul, the noble girl's. Yes, his twisted mind had tricked him into making him believe that by sacrificing her he would one day be able to ressurect her, only this time she wouldn't have the option of denying him of her love as she'd done once already. Yet, his dream fell short and he had been forced to lock her soul up into a non-living object, the sword that once belonged to her family, through unforgivable means.

The sword felt satisfied, then. It remained within the ruins of what used to be Aestus' chambers for many years until the day came when a band of lawless bandits crossed by, appearing to have been drawn by its presence. It promised the wielder power beyond what they could fathom, and eventually they would find themself lost to insanity, and once their reached the peak - death. The sword would always test its wielder, and if unable to resist its deceitful nature they would be sure to suffer the same fate as Aestus, and then the cycle repeats itself.

It has now found its way to Anthos, and is in search for a new wielder to either benefit from its companionship, or to otherwise fall victim to its true desire to selfishly sate its thirst for blood and warmongering.

Note: the sword can easily be dispelled, but will as a result lose all of its abilities, including speech. It will not only promise them power beyond belief, but will also tell the wielder that their greatest desires will eventually be fulfilled as long as they show their undivided trust to the sword.

So technically anyone with good combat ability have a bigger advantage in using this sword or am I just mis interpreting this?

So technically anyone with good combat ability have a bigger advantage in using this sword or am I just mis interpreting this?

Basically, but regardless of their skill they would eventually fall into insanity and will have themself killed if nobody intervenes in the steady process.

Hmm. Interesting but to avoid powergaming how exactly are you going to avoid that?

A very nice read, and I think it would be interesting lore to see implemented. How is this insanity caused, though? What kind of process would you use in RP to make that happen?

A very nice read, and I think it would be interesting lore to see implemented. How is this insanity caused, though? What kind of process would you use in RP to make that happen?

Whenever the sword is unsheathed, as in whenever it's in its active state, it will

through to you which will eventually drive the character insane. The process could easily take years, but since a year in-game equals the same as two weeks in real life it wouldn't drag out all too much. I guess some additions could be added to this, like the wielder being able to picture the  past wielders' last moments, or something like that.

I rest my case on this sword, you have my support you've shown a lot of work through it and I would hate to see it to go to waste.

+1

Hah. I was in the process of writing lore almost identical to this, but yours is better. +1

It's a cool sword, so yea, it's gonna give you a higher combat advantage. It's kinda the point.

The sword seems wicked cool for it's concept. I like it.

If the idea persists as is, I don't have any major issue. However, a sword adjusting to the user's preference wouldn't grant a massive advantage over the opponent.

I do have another question, how long does it actually take the blade to alter to the user's preference?

If the idea persists as is, I don't have any major issue. However, a sword adjusting to the user's preference wouldn't grant a massive advantage over the opponent.

I do have another question, how long does it actually take the blade to alter to the user's preference?

It would depend entirely on how often the blade's used in combat as it would have to learn their various combat patterns, but if it's specifics you're looking for then I'd say somewhere between 4-7 days (OOC) if the wielder is someone who frequently makes use of the weapon. This is debatable though as the process might be too slow / quick.

Also, I could adjust the sword's abilities if you feel that it's necessary, in case it's imbalanced (also implying if it's underpowered).