How To Role-Play Physics

The Media Wizard

~ Guide on "How to Role-Play Physics!" ~

Hello there! Today I will teach you how to RP with everyone's favorite topic, PHYSICS! Yes, I know, you all "know how to use physics in RP", but I have seen many not use it reasonably countless times. So, hopefully, I can shed some light on some repeating topics that I find strange in RP, mostly RP fights.

--------------------------------------------------------

~ The Laws of Motion ~

[Just in case you want to brush up on the basic laws]

Spoiler

First Law - Every object in a state of uniform motion tend to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Second Law - The relationship between an object's mass, its acceleration, and the applied force is Force = Mass x Acceleration. Acceleration and force are vectors [as indicated by their symbols being displayed in slant bold font]; in this law the direction of the force vector is the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.

Third Law - For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

~ Role-Play Instances ~

Swinging Melee Weapons

The first one is probably one of the most misused on the server. When swinging any sword, dagger, or other melee weapons, force is still acting upon the object. Saying an object "doesn't weigh too much" doesn't account for the object's mass and its acceleration which give us the force.

In a misused instance, a player might emote something like:

Player swings his longsword down at the man, grasping it only by his right hand

Then, if the counter is a sidestep, dodge, or perhaps a block, there are two different ways to take this:

Player suddenly brings their sword across in the same motion, attempting to slice the dodging man in a horizontal slash

Player stumbles forward from the force of their missed attack, having to regain their balance, stance, and grasp upon their weapon

After exerting such a tremendous amount of force in a downward strike, you would have to regain your balance before being ready to strike once more. This happens due to the Second Law of Motion.

Dodging

When in combat RP, one will usually attempt to dodge an attack at some point. Depending on what you emote your current stance is like, you may or may not be able to actually dodge. One thing most Role-Players should know about preparing to move quickly in a fight; EMOTE HAVING A GOOD AND STEADY STANCE. Without this, you might as well be standing straight up and down.

Dodging from a crouched or sunken knees position is usually the most accurate. In American Football, players are taught to always be balanced, squared forward, and have BENT KNEES. These points aid in helping a player move quickly and react faster. Take this into Role-Play and you have a stance that can react quickly to another player's attack.

Now, dodging projectiles is quite difficult to explain since it usually varies. I would recommend the dodging distance of a Bow to be about 30 meters. For a crossbow, I would say about 25 meters. Make sure to ask for the other player to /roll before actually emoting back since not all players have actually bowman training. BUT, dodging bolts and arrows from the previous distances should only be attempted if you SEE your attacker. This would be the most realistic form of dodging.

Kicking

Although not incorporated in Role-Play combat too often, kicking is both a useful and dangerous form of knocking an opponent with a solid hit.

Kicking is easily one of the most powerful forms of combat. The legs of the normal body are one of the most powerful muscles on the body, and can exert an amazing amount of force. If it is a traditional Front-Kick, always attempt to aim for your target's gut, or solar plexus. When the solar plexus is hit, even slightly, it has to power to knock the air from an unsuspecting opponent's lungs.

But, kicking is often a dangerous way of fighting. When kicking, your body is heavily off balanced and can be easily knocked over. Balancing on one leg also opens you up for wild kicks unless you RPly train your balance. Make sure to always kick quickly, solidly, and try not to go for any crazy Hurricane kicks or Round-House kicks, as both are either for show or for quick stuns.

----------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was just a quick and simple Guide for Physics RP! I hope you enjoyed reading it and incorporate it into your next RP combat session. If you have any questions or would like me to clarify anything, feel free to send me a PM or post below!

~ Zilldude ~

Yay, I know how to fight with physics!

The first example looks disturbingly like an example I once read in a strike or ban report, but otherwise it is a great guide. Even for Vets. :)

A much needed guide, hopefully people will see it and notice the part of how if the shooter is close or your back is turned to them that odds are, you won't be able to dodge much.

I'd like to see something added on altering the direction of an attack. I feel like people don't realize that a punch can change course with relative ease. Otherwise, good guide, Zill

One thing most Role-Players should know about preparing to move quickly in a fight; EMOTE HAVING A GOOD AND STEADY STANCE. Without this, you might as well be standing straight up and down.

Dodging from a crouched or sunken knees position is usually the most accurate. In American Football, players are taught to always be balanced, squared forward, and have BENT KNEES. These points aid in helping a player move quickly and react faster.

The rest of the guide is pretty decent (if a little over-complicated), especially the kicking section, but the quoted section is just advocating people to powergame. Some people will just crouch the entire fight and just say that they can dodge anything.

I'd like to see something added on altering the direction of an attack. I feel like people don't realize that a punch can change course with relative ease. Otherwise, good guide, Zill

Changing the course of a punch mid way into your blow isn't that hard but you loose most of your power.

When I did Krav Maga we'd spend hours fighting or training with punching bags, and changing a punch direction can give you one of two things: Severly grazed knuckles or a powerless hit on your adversary.

This is just a Minecraft server so it's no use getting to technical but all that to say,; changing a punch direction isn't the best of ideas.

Changing the course of a punch mid way into your blow isn't that hard but you loose most of your power.

When I did Krav Maga we'd spend hours fighting or training with punching bags, and changing a punch direction can give you one of two things: Severly grazed knuckles or a powerless hit on your adversary.

This is just a Minecraft server so it's no use getting to technical but all that to say,; changing a punch direction isn't the best of ideas.

Keep in mind, I'm talking by a slim distance, here. Not like a hook, or anything, I mean a total of three inches

Keep in mind, I'm talking by a slim distance, here. Not like a hook, or anything, I mean a total of three inches

Then changing directions wouldn't do anything at all. Traveling 3 inches when punching is going to take a second, if less. You wouldn't have the time to change directions.

Good guide once you get past the comic sans. I would recommend doing a section dedicated to center of mass, because it is vital in understanding how to handle the different kinds of weapons (spear, sword, axe, warhammer), their strengths and their weaknesses. It also addresses the balance issue best.

Good guide once you get past the comic sans. I would recommend doing a section dedicated to center of mass, because it is vital in understanding how to handle the different kinds of weapons (spear, sword, axe, warhammer), their strengths and their weaknesses. It also addresses the balance issue best.

I don't think it needs to get more technical than it already is. This is a game, not Physics 101 after all.

A lot of people might not want to have to memorise every little technicality to enjoy a good fight.

Anybody who wants to be a skilled swordsman should have a firm OOC knowledge of physics, as well as sufficient IC experience, or training from another character who has figured this out already. If you don't have both of these, you'd definitely be a rookie fighter – mediocre at best. While combat is so prevalent that we cannot afford to have a "Combat Team" like we have a Magic Team, I do believe that those claiming to have extremely skilled characters should be held by others in the community (not officially, of course) to a high standard.

If you can't be bothered gaining at least a superficial knowledge of how force, velocity, acceleration, etc. work on bodies with differing masses, and how they are likely to affect each, your characters can stay at an average level of skill.

I don't think it needs to get more technical than it already is. This is a game, not Physics 101 after all.

A lot of people might not want to have to memorise every little technicality to enjoy a good fight.

S-someone who gets it.

It makes very little sense to me to make a guide to Physics and then put a limit on the amount of Physics in the guide.

Don't like it don't use it and all that. But the one thing you DONT want is people starting an OOC fuss on incorrect assumptions, thus in this case having a guide be as complete as possible helps a ton.