Annually Season & Weather Effects

Lym

First of all, let me say that I wrote this topic specifically for some of the weather phenomena I mentioned below. I'd just like to say that seeing more people actively roleplay season changes and weather would be totes cool, how often have we all seen some lovey-dovey couple standing in the rain for goddamn 3 IRL hours, not giving a single **** about catching a cold. Oh love (and RP), you silly thing.

Event Planners, MC Names:

Lymdil

Event Type:

Annually recurring season changes that affect weather, harvest and animals; generally making more use of the calendar system in RP

Event Date:

Whenever the in-game calendar sees fit

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/wiki/index.php?title=Time_and_Calendars

Factions/Nations effected by the event:

Pretty much all areas excluding the following: Kharajyr Island, Orcish Desert, (maybe) original snowy dwarven area, the North, any other region that would realistically not be affected by seasons.

Event Location:

See above.

Summary:

Back in the realm of Aegis, far before the appearance of Iblees and his minions, the land was calm and nature spread. With its spread, the seasons eventually came. Even The Wandering Wizard acknowledged this fact and started using the season names for his journal entries. It was only a matter of time until the season of harvest was over and the cold, harsh winter would come. Back then, farmers realized the massive impact seasons had on their farming and the nature overall, so some of them sat down and tried to find rules regarding when they should make use of their seed and when it's best to wait.

Of course, this knowledge wasn't exactly fascinating for any outsiders, but stories regarding it were spread anyway:

'Pankratz and Servaz are wicked brothers,
what the First Seed has brought gets destroyed by them.
Sophia is called "the Cold" because she brings cold and wet weather.
Before Bonifaz no Sun's Smile, after Sophia no frost.'

This simple rule of thumb was created by mere gardeners and farmers at first, soon however proved to be very efficient. Pankratz and Servaz represent the pretty much regularly occurring cold period with night frost hazard around the middle of the First Seed. Essentially, this means summer flowers and any seeds should only be sown after Bonifaz, the last of the brothers, to make sure the harvest does not get destroyed by a sudden cold period. It is generally recommended to wait for Sophia to pass or to put up torches to protect the seeds, plants and flowers from frost.

Around the middle of the First Seed, every year a phenomenon called "Sheep's Cold" would occur. This represented a delicate cold and sometimes even rainy period which would relieve the first few hot weeks of the beginning of the warm season. Farmers smiled like fools when they realized it wouldn't affect their plants and seeds as much as Sophia and the three wicked brothers, however they forgot about their shorn sheeps, and more importantly, the lambs. Some of them didn't manage to survive the sudden dangerous cold without their thick wool. The farmers added this to their repertoire and wisdom, hoping they wouldn't do the same mistake.

As the seasons passed and years turned into decades, the knowledge was forwarded to the coming generations of farmers (or should I say "peasants"???) and those interested in the arts of "gardening". In Asulon however, due to the natural steady climate, some of this wisdom was lost and not used anymore, soon to be forgotten. With the transition to Anthos though, farmers realized the climate there was more drastic, yet similar to the one in Aegis. After the North first attacked and cold breezes would stroke the lands nearly every day, it became very apparent that those rules would be needed soon again. WINTER WAS COMING!

Concept Images/Screenshots

seasons-bro-seasons.jpg

Other Information:

TL;DR With the calendar system finally being put back in place, I feel as if it's time to roleplay seasons, and the weather they bring, properly.
TL;DR2: You try to sow your field in the middle of the Deep Cold? Cool story, bro, not going to happen.
TL;DR3: You have a livestock standing outside in the snow during the Snow's Maiden? Too bad, dey gon die, m8.

Inb4 people complaining about this being "too restrictive", I'll just say that this is the reason as for why we have seasons and calendars. Roleplay it, for the love of Aeriel.

Inb4|2 druids going ham on me lel

Also, I didn't feel like making this a Lore suggestion simply because it's something very natural to my understanding at least. Having seasons and weather affect RP (and farming/harvesting RP) should definitely play a role.
Aaaaaaaalso, as some of you can probably tell, this is heavily inspired by actual real-life weather/season phenomena so don't bother telling me this is unrealistic ^^

Do you need the Event Team's assistance?:

Mhm!

If so, do you require actors and/or builders?:

I guess, yeah. Someone has to kill animals and destroy some seeds so why not them?

I already did tornadoes and storms as a GM, get better.

I already did tornadoes and storms as a GM, get better.

Do yours occur annually, punk? Jokes aside, you and Braxis actually gave me inspiration too and seeing how the event was welcomed overall and people seemed to like it, I thought I'd give this a try. Props to you and Braxis!

It just becomes a hassle to keep with updating the map with seasonal changes. However things like the Abresi Winter that Ever and Freya did do seem to work. It is a smaller controlled area. I can work on doing the same for other areas but to filter through the seasons on a server-wide scale would either require all of my time to build/switch the biome/voxel away it when its done or a plugin. 

It's easy to change regions and make them snow/icemelt deny for a wintery effect. Enforcing crop/farming restrictions seems a bit too much for me, I know I really don't wanna do that, lol.

It's hard to do other seasons besides COLD AND SNOW and WARM AND NO SNOW.

It's easy to change regions and make them snow/icemelt deny for a wintery effect. Enforcing crop/farming restrictions seems a bit too much for me, I know I really don't wanna do that, lol.

It's hard to do other seasons besides COLD AND SNOW and WARM AND NO SNOW.

^ Yea. Although that doesn't mean it can't be done. It just can't really happen on a strict scheduled basis.

I'm fairly sure a plugin can correspond with the calendar one and slow down crop growth and so on, maybe even decrease spawn-rates/breeding "success" during winter time.

I summon thee, Tech Team!

I'm fairly sure a plugin can correspond with the calendar one and slow down crop growth and so on, maybe even decrease spawn-rates/breeding "success" during winter time.

I summon thee, Tech Team!

...we'd have to have the calendar plug-in released first ):

/me would like to see the calendar plugin released before next year.

...we'd have to have the calendar plug-in released first ):

/me would like to see the calendar plugin released before next year.

AND HERE I WAS THINKING THIS WAS ALREADY IMPLEMENTED, OKAY. MY BAD.

AND HERE I WAS THINKING THIS WAS ALREADY IMPLEMENTED, OKAY. MY BAD.

oh god this is hilarious

TECH TEAM PLEASE

SHOPS AND CALENDARs

but shops first

please

oh god this is hilarious

TECH TEAM PLEASE

SHOPS AND CALENDARs

but shops first

please

get off my lawn topic, you damn shop peasant.

Nexus-Calendar

Author: Telanir

This long awaited plugin finally rolled out onto the live server a few days ago after brief maintenance, and provides for a way to streamline the time process. We have begun on year 1442 which was calculated by rittsy, and now recording the time of significant roleplay events becomes easier than ever before.

I heard this deserves a bump now that the core plug-in supporting my suggestion is (finally) implemented.

I like the idea but why not be creative? Why not make new seasons? This isn't earth so we wouldn't necessarily have the same seasons as earth. That being said yes there can be dry and winter seasons but why not make rainy seasons where there are thunderstorms constantly, also with that seasons don't need to pertain to the calander. For example, seasons could possibly happen every year or every other year it could change the season. This would reduce the hastle of contantly changing the seasons and the only season you would really need to voxel in with a large enough impact is really winter. Anyways, alltogether I like the idea the animals dying and farms not working shouldn't be a gm's job but be entirely up to the playerbase and be roleplayed accordingly. As even during snow seasons or wet seasons there are certain plants that wold grow so maybe people can change their farms from carrots to potatos during the snow seasons (Just an example). +1