Cirdanoth

Messy Medieval: A long-winded, sporadic guide

Otherwise known as ‘The Book of Rob’

5SnmzYY.png

(Skip the following few paragraphs if you wanna get to the actual building.)

Introduction and Gratitude:

MessyMedieval is… Both simple and complex. It attempts to use every block/item, and each to its best ability, in a sensible environment, themed around ‘medieval fantasy’.

It was developed centered around roleplay and meant to create the most immersive experience, which would not rely on texturepacks but the right mix of materials, depth and function.

While it would be easy to claim all the glory as the one whom ‘discovered’ MessyMedieval, many techniques were discovered well before ‘Messy Medieval’ became a term, by many different people.

Some served as inspiration, while others aided in the further development of the style.
Some were teached by myself, and teached me in turn. Experimenting and daring to do something different from the rest has brought MessyMedieval to what it is today. A unique experience.

My thanks to:

TheCrackerJack:
For his undying support, even when I was lazy or didn’t feel like building, and
all the opportunities he’s given me to advance my building skills. I can’t thank
him enough.

Korthos:
For being a critical and great student of the style, and master of his own.
Many times, his builds have amazed me, and made me see new ways of making my
structures better. He is both rival and friend, and surely my equal in many ways.

Beggin_Bill:
For being a great student, and all the townhouses he’s build. If not for him,
MessyMedieval wouldn’t be as rich a style, of many faces and possibilities.

Mr_S4Mz/TheNorthernBrit:
For having patience with a fool, in the early days of MessyMedieval.

Laserbeam3:
For being a great student, and all the good times.

Cjmate8:
For all the minas and great rp. Without him, I’d be a pauper and not have all
the blocks I’d like.

Stykernag:
For being a respectable leader, whom led me to the discovery of ‘MessyMedieval’.

Cakeski:
For being a good ‘bad example’.

Project Targa: For being a grand, entertaining challenge.

Civrp: For being the craddle of MessyMedieval.

Cast Carrion: For living with MessyMedieval.

The World: My sincerest gratitude.

fl8bAmv.png

Before we begin...

This guide will not make you a great builder. It simply cannot.

It can only show off a number of tools for you to practice and come to terms with.

There are a lot of ways to use the things provided in Minecraft, and get similar effects, for better or for worse. My personal advice, is to go with what feels right to you, and not settle for less. Be picky. You're the one holding the brush. Enjoy the challenge... Figure out new ways, maybe 'better' ways...

At the end of the day, it needs to be fun to build, and it's allowed to be a fun build. Got a crazy quirky chimney design..? Toss it on there! Figured out how to make your Wizard's tower loop on itself? Heck yes! Had an odd dream about an ocean of books? Be my guest.

:megustacreepy:

I have just a few 'requests'... They are as follows:

1. Build in default.

2. Don't expect to finish something quickly, unless it's very small.

3. Make up a story as you build.

4. Don't give up early.

5. Try and enjoy.

6. Seriously, build in default.

7. Practice makes (near) perfect.

(These requests are liable to change... I can't come up with the perfect list right from the start. I mean... I don't know if I might prefer a manatee, over you enjoying yourself in another month.)

j6e93s8.png

The Real Deal

So, we're gonna get started. In principle.. All builds start simple and small.

The more we spend time on them, the more layers we can bring into the build. One could compare it to polishing a fine blade... We use smaller'n smaller whetstones, finer and finer technique, to "awaken" something out of the 'metal'. Some builds have a rougher finish than others, but sometimes, this fits the atmosphere of the build. Similarly a medieval longsword should never be sharpened like a Japanese 'shinken', for the blade'd dull and possibly break after seeing a fraction of use in European combat.

Different builds ask for different techniques, different ways of using the knowledge we already have.

An important piece of knowledge, and something many tend to forget... Is that there's 'two sides', and a number of 'forces' which work on 'em.

The sides are the 'artificial'/'man-made' and the 'natural'.

While the 'natural' can often exist without the man-made... The man-made cannot exist without the 'natural'.

The main forces, are time, temperature, humidity.. But 'nature' or 'man' can also be a force which changes the landscape drastically...

We are going to keep it simple, for now, and not look at those forces just yet.

We'll start with 'bushes' and 'mud'. Two things which I've found horribly lacking in Anthos, and 'Minecraft'. Then we'll talk about 'roads' and combine the three together into something cohesive.

(See the next post.)

This, I like.

yes

xrKcvhu.gif

so basically i just spam right click with different blocks?

autoclicker helps alot, so does forcefield so those pesky rpers dont get in your way!

thanks robin friend for guide :- )

Amazing Guide.

Some times you can get a little too messy with such style though if not built properly.

That's it, my new alt is a Ruskan.

Good guide, chap..

u dun mud gud