[Lore] Smoking Herbs

Throughout my time on LOTC, I have seen many people RP smoking, mostly 'pipeweed' and occasionally the infamous 'cactus green', but I have not ever really seen a list or lore for these types of things. So, I have decided that I would write up some short lore on them, some things that are already accepted in the community and some that I would make up.

Pipeweed

The most common of all smoked herbs, pipeweed gets its name from how it is most commonly smoked; in a pipe. Pipeweed is most similar to modern-day tobacco. It has no real affects on the brain and does not alter the mind of the smoker. Pipeweed is represented as the sugarcane block in Minecraft. 

Pipeweed is extremely versatile in terms of how it is grown and is very common because of this. The crop needs a steady supply of water at all times. Like reeds, pipeweed stalks grow upward and can be harvested by trimming them just above the base stalks. It can be grown on grass and dirt, but the crop thrives most when grown on sand.

Pipeweed does not have many negative affects on the user besides shortness of breath when used frequently and will sometimes cause a strong cough. It is the most common of all smoked herbs and is not very addictive.

Cactus Green

Another commonly smoked herb, cactus green gets its name from the color of the plant and the plant itself that is harvested in order to get the herb. Cactus green is commonly smoked in rolled paper, however some users prefer to smoke it in a pipe. Cactus green is a mind-altering herb and is known to be addictive. It is most similar to modern-day marijuana. It is sometimes noted for its distinct smell. Cactus green is represented by the cactus green block in Minecraft.

Cactus green is harvested from the cactus plant itself, which can only be grown in the harshest deserts. The hot weather, burning sun and lack of water cause the plant to grow slowly, however they are a necessity for the plant to grow correctly. After the cactus has been grown, it can be harvested by cutting the cactus just above its base, similar to pipeweed. After the cactus has been successfully harvested, it can be heated up in a furnace or fireplace to turn the cactus to a mushy, softer substance. This substance can then be rolled in paper or shoved in a pipe to be burned and inhaled, causing a sort of euphoria for the user after some time.

Cactus green is most commonly smoked by Orcs, since their homelands are known to be a fitting climate to grow the plant. The herb is very addictive when commonly used, however it has no strong affect on those who use it time-to-time. The body can build up a resistance to the herb after strong use, forcing the user to smoke more to reach the desirable high.

Leaves

Leaves, smoked herbs by the young, lazy and poor, are most-commonly smoked in a pipe. Leaves are similar to modern-day leaves that grow on normal trees. They are represented by the leaves blocks in Minecraft. They are not a mind-altering herb.

Leaves are, as you would expect, grown on trees in Minecraft. They are harvested from the tree itself. You can hardly call them an 'herb', but since they are so easily found and are able to be burnt, some people will smoke them. There are many different types of leaves, however the only two that are most-eligible for smoking are the leaves of oak and birch trees.

Leaves cannot be smoked when wet and are not at all addicting. 

Grass

Similar to that of leaves, grass is usually only smoked by the young and the poor. It is commonly smoked in a pipe. Grass is similar to modern-day grass and is represented by the tall grass block in Minecraft. It is not a mind-altering herb.

Grass is naturally grown in woodlands and on grassy plains. It is harvested by being cut with shears, clippers or even just ripping it out by hand. 

Grass, like leaves, cannot be smoked when it is wet. It is not addicting.

This thread will continue to be edited when I think of some more ideas. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you posted some feedback and your ideas for other herbs that you have come across being smoked in RP or would like to have added to the list.

I'm currently thinking of making use of netherwarts, but since they are not currently obtainable in-game and neither is soulsand to grow it on, it may be an issue. However, it could have some weird affects on the body and make some unique RP. Post your ideas below!

You need sugar, redstone, sugar lined in redstone, cactus green lined with redstone, and The WHOLE lot combined.

Redstone was invented by the Orenian government to increase death-rates among the dark elves. Trufacts.

You need sugar, redstone, sugar lined in redstone, cactus green lined with redstone, and The WHOLE lot combined.

I don't really think sugar can be smoked, I mean it is sort of powdery... if you inhaled it, wouldn't it just be like a straight shot to your throat and make you cough?

I also thought of redstone and am still considering it, but since it RPly has the use for wiring, I'm unsure if it's still a good choice.

If you were to combine two herbs, the user would just receive the affects of both, I'd think. Of course there would be some exceptions, for instance if you combined pipeweed and cactus green, you wouldn't necessarily become addicted to both, only the cactus green if you were to heavily use it.

I think this doesn't need accepted lore, considering it doesn't give an advantage to a player. But then again, who am I to question it?

I think this doesn't need accepted lore, considering it doesn't give an advantage to a player. But then again, who am I to question it?

I'm actually glad you brought this up. I thought the same thing as I was writing it, but perhaps if we were to create a certain herb like I wrote with netherwart or something that did give a sort of advantage with also a negative long-term affect, it would require lore.

Oohh cool! I want to see a few of the craaazy smoking herbs, that would be interesting to RP...

Would you die if you smoked redstone, by the way?

Oohh cool! I want to see a few of the craaazy smoking herbs, that would be interesting to RP...

Would you die if you smoked redstone, by the way?

:idk:  It's possible, I guess.