A Way To Keep Villians Out

Iosif

So, if I kill your character in Lenniel, I don't want to see him back there. Is that a fair deal? I mean, if you're going to say that about villains, villains can say it in return.

However, I disagree with the one week thing entirely. That's just absurd and barely fun RP for the villains as well. 

No, it's not the same thing at all. The non-villains are the ones LIVING in Lenniel who are trying to set up a peaceful society for people who wants peaceful RP.

The villains are the ones who crash the party repeatedly and return no matter how much they're killed.

It's gotten to a point where anyone in a town sees a certain MC name and just groans, saying "ugh, him again?"

Nothing but permakills or actual jail time will fix this problem and everyone knows permakills won't be a thing.

If your character dies, it SHOULD mean something...just saying, for everyone. Even if it is just mere trauma. It is part of being a good roleplayer...that you know Rp has consequences.

I think that is one of the problems. No one cares that their character just died. If there is going to be permadeath, it needs to be for everyone. If it were just Villains, you would get nothing but LLLLEERRROOOYYY JEEENNKINNNS~!!!! characters. Then again, I would think twice before murdering someone if I knew my character would get lynched over it.

People getting killed in broad daylight? It means guards aren't doing ****, obviously. You think a good guard would let that happen? Try putting up a guard NPC, even he won't stand such bullshit.

------------

Try to sit in jail for a whole week and see how much fun that is.

------------

Guards didn't post wanted notes before? Well, I guess that means that GUARDS AREN'T DOING ****.

Huge prison on a small island. Am I the only one who finds this weird, if not stupid? How would a huge prison fit in a small island? I'm not buying the "underground installations" bullshit, because we're talking about a SMALL ISLAND, it would be too much of a hassle to build underground in the ocean.

But the idea of a prison does sound neat.

------------------------------------

Basically, it took you what, two years to figure out that villains do evil things when guards don't do ****?

Genius.

friend please calm down it is just a game!! But one thing to note is villains come back after they are executed imprisoned or banished! I quit being a guard cause you get white knighted so much for stopping a crime... But calm down the kid may of just got his wording confused as it happens to many people

Sitting in jail for any period longer than fifteen minutes is TERRIBLE unless someone else is present. So...ya know, if someone is there to RP with, then that is fine by me. Otherwise, it just becomes an RP blackhole.

1) Probably non-related, but what really amuses me about this argument is this.....

Jail is punishment because of exactly that, you sit on your ass and don't get to do anything/go anywhere/ etc.

It is terrible, it's supposed to be terrible.

Why not rp this sucks, because that's exactly what jail is.

2) As a side note, I've played role-play centered games where you are stuck in jail for 1 week irl, and sometimes then you get executed (perm death).  Of course, on those games, I could play/level another character (much more easily than on this one) and my toon would sit in jail that full week.

Maybe that's the solution to the problem, somehow reworking it where your "character card" stays in jail for a decent time irl but you can still play other characters, thus punishing the villian character while not punishing the player.

Didn't see that coming, was just thinking about other games and ended up spit-balling.

Sitting in jail for any period longer than fifteen minutes is TERRIBLE unless someone else is present. So...ya know, if someone is there to RP with, then that is fine by me. Otherwise, it just becomes an RP blackhole.

Which gives villains a reason to think twice before mindlessly making chaos.

1) Probably non-related, but what really amuses me about this argument is this.....

Jail is punishment because of exactly that, you sit on your ass and don't get to do anything/go anywhere/ etc.

It is terrible, it's supposed to be terrible.

Why not rp this sucks, because that's exactly what jail is.

2) As a side note, I've played role-play centered games where you are stuck in jail for 1 week irl, and sometimes then you get executed (perm death).  Of course, on those games, I could play/level another character (much more easily than on this one) and my toon would sit in jail that full week.

Maybe that's the solution to the problem, somehow reworking it where your "character card" stays in jail for a decent time irl but you can still play other characters, thus punishing the villian character while not punishing the player.

Didn't see that coming, was just thinking about other games and ended up spit-balling.

Are you implying that the player deserves to be punished? Because it isn't terrible because your character thinks it is terrible, it is simply terrible for the player. Some of the /best/ rp to be had is when terrible things happen to your character, so there is definitely a difference here. Jail by itself is simply not fun, if ruining the fun is a illegal for villains...well you know. I just don't believe in holding non-villainous characters to a lower expectation of play. White Knights can be worse than villains some of the time, wouldn't you say?

If you really want to put in jail, put in some effort too. Put in the same effort as villains do, as people who play villains deserve as much effort as anyone else. Talk with the person, actively punish, or just plain interact. Isn't that the point, to interact? Besides, simply 'leaving' a character behind to play on an alt will completely miss the point of the punishment. I would argue that what makes roleplay worth while is the unique empathy that you have with your character. Empathy as a result of controlling your character, so if you want true character growth from a prison sentence, you have to be present, as a player. Try and make it fun.

However, I got a nice little idea if RP'ing with people you put in jail isn't your thing. Instead of jails, why not use stockades? They sure as hell are a harsh punishment for the character, but not so much for the player. I'd rather play a character stuck in one for three days, simply because I could interact, then spend one day in jail alone. Because, for me, if someone doesn't RP with me while my character is jail, I treat it like a ban, and simply won't play until the time is up. 

Effectively starving a player of play as punishment because you don't like how RP went is a ridiculous notion, in my opinion. 

friend please calm down it is just a game!! But one thing to note is villains come back after they are executed imprisoned or banished! I quit being a guard cause you get white knighted so much for stopping a crime... But calm down the kid may of just got his wording confused as it happens to many people

You seem to misinterpret text for anger.

It happens all the time and never cease to amaze.

Genius

Zaezae, that's an excellent idea, the stockades. I'd just put an open air jail cell and post a guard or two to watch it while doing other things. And if his freinds show up to save him, more rp. If he tries to escape, more rp. I'd be more willing to sit in a cell with rp going on around me than an underground jail cell that's bare stone.

-snip-

Would love to see this done more often, great suggestion.

Genius

tumblr_ml0rkreW101rome1po1_500.gif

Are you implying that the player deserves to be punished? Because it isn't terrible because your character thinks it is terrible, it is simply terrible for the player. Some of the /best/ rp to be had is when terrible things happen to your character, so there is definitely a difference here. Jail by itself is simply not fun, if ruining the fun is a illegal for villains...well you know. I just don't believe in holding non-villainous characters to a lower expectation of play. White Knights can be worse than villains some of the time, wouldn't you say?

If you really want to put in jail, put in some effort too. Put in the same effort as villains do, as people who play villains deserve as much effort as anyone else. Talk with the person, actively punish, or just plain interact. Isn't that the point, to interact? Besides, simply 'leaving' a character behind to play on an alt will completely miss the point of the punishment. I would argue that what makes roleplay worth while is the unique empathy that you have with your character. Empathy as a result of controlling your character, so if you want true character growth from a prison sentence, you have to be present, as a player. Try and make it fun.

However, I got a nice little idea if RP'ing with people you put in jail isn't your thing. Instead of jails, why not use stockades? They sure as hell are a harsh punishment for the character, but not so much for the player. I'd rather play a character stuck in one for three days, simply because I could interact, then spend one day in jail alone. Because, for me, if someone doesn't RP with me while my character is jail, I treat it like a ban, and simply won't play until the time is up. 

Effectively starving a player of play as punishment because you don't like how RP went is a ridiculous notion, in my opinion. 

I was laughing to myself when I read this, because I seriously considered putting someone in stockades and whipping them the other day.

My point was more that there is a way to punish the villian and not the player.  Make is so they stay in jail for a period of time for their crimes (and allowing you to play someone else/another toon).  This also has the happy effect of making the guard forces actions actually mean something.  Your counter would probably be along the lines of I want to play that villian not someone else (or would boil down to this).  My counter to that would be that your desire to have/enjoy rp on a specific character does not outweigh the desire of the guardsfolk to have/enjoy the rp on theirs.  It is hard for them to enjoy rp when they keep having to deal with the same people over and over again within an unrealistic time frame.

Going off Gaius's statement, there was a huge thread in Asulon where a few people wanted to build a prison where criminals went when killed. They wouldn't be able to soulstone out and would have to role-play amongst themselves in an open-type prison. After their allotted time they were allowed out.

Wanna keep the Villains out? This is what the guard players should start doing. We're going to do it like in Skyrim.

Give the Criminals a choice of either a fine, Jail-Time, or Death. They will not be allowed back in the city until they pay the fine. If they Resist Arrest, add an extra fine on their offense when they come back. Every time criminals come back, either ask them to pay the fine, leave, or they'll be killed. All the kills on criminals will be PVP.

Exiles, Varsele or citizens not permitted back will be PVP'd on sight. If Criminals keep coming back, just PVP them,

Problem solved.

This. Villains should at least TRY to murder discreetly.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime! Seriously though, if Villain can be given a real punishment, it'll deter all those folks who do Villainous things for the fun of it, meaning a lower crime rate.

Yeah, like people will allow themselves to die discreetly.

Yeah, like people will allow themselves to die discreetly.

Here's the thing, if you lure them out the city, trick them with smooth words and/or clever traps no one will be there to save them.

On the other hand, you can walk into town, draw your flaming katana and start going on a rampage a la GTA, get murdered, come back a few hours later and do it again.