[Idea] Magically-Technological Advancements - An Alternative

Swgrclan

Yesterday I was mulling over how the server had handled technology and it's ever-progressive properties over the years. It appears, at most, any "advanced" technology (gunpowder weaponry and the like) were removed for the complications they've made. Arguments about gunpowder's discovery and uses were common awhile back, but it all ended with it being too imbalanced and complicated.

I'd like to suggest to the server, instead of trying to make efforts for hard science progression in the future, whether it be for weaponry or otherwise, to try to drop that mind-set and focus on the more magical technologies that may be developed in the place of cannons, steam-powered ships and other intricate and unfit things when regarding the server's lore. 

However, magic can be as unbridled and imbalanced as gunpowder and electrical wiring - something I'll make a point of in the latter part of the thread. Using magic, a lot of things had been accomplished. In Asulon, an advanced suit was developed by the Teutonic Order with the intention of traversing through the Pink Cloud, a menace of the Hansetians. In Anthos, magic had allowed a tower to float on behalf of the work of an old Ascended and the imprisonment (as far as I've heard) of an Aengul.

Using these examples, there should both be authorized progression of magical technology in LoTC's universe and boundaries to it. Enchantment-based weaponry and armor can be advanced, but it cannot be drastically so. House-hold utilities can be created with magic, but they cannot match IRL's technological advances. Some kind of magical transportation can be created, but it cannot be another form of the automobile or aeroplane. 

My character has personally been delving into possible progression of magical weapons and armor, and I wouldn't want vague boundaries to halt this if the role-play was legitimate. I share the same feelings for any other character who would try to make similar progressions. So, I propose magical advancement be allowed, but realistic and non-magical advancement be dulled and halted. Magic is a science in LoTC, so it should be it's main one with how widespread it's become. This offers a lot of opportunities in invention role-play and allows a freedom for technological advancements backed by magic if the role-play put into said progression is legitimate and does not provide over-powered results.

Thoughts?

As long as it doesn't give you a distinct advantage on other characters you can literally do whatever you want without having to worry about lore restrictions. So a mechanical disco ball? Totally okay.

As long as it doesn't give you a distinct advantage on other characters you can literally do whatever you want without having to worry about lore restrictions. So a mechanical disco ball? Totally okay.

Though, technological progression can make different turns. If a small military faction has several suits of magical armor and weapons and another doesn't, it should still be fair despite their higher-tier gear after all. They created it for the sake of honing their abilities on the battlefield and it ought to rightfully give an advantage. Everything can't be fair after all, in cases like this.

I like the sound of this. Mixing technology and a slight amount of science into magic role play to try and create diffrent types of magical properties that are bound into certain objects or items.(Armor, weapons, ect.) Whether for the purpose is solely for combat. Or using in a recreational way would bring alot of fun and interesting things to LOTC. Though this is one of those things that everyone shouldn't have access to right off the start. As to say everyone shouldn't be instantly gifted with the knowledge of making such items. Mages are fine and all that. But producing something with magical effects, even small ones should take the individual some time before realizing they can do such a task. Anyway. All in all, this is a great idea.

~+1~

I like the sound of this. Mixing technology and a slight amount of science into magic role play to try and create diffrent types of magical properties that are bound into certain objects or items.(Armor, weapons, ect.) Whether for the purpose is solely for combat. Or using in a recreational way would bring alot of fun and interesting things to LOTC. Though this is one of those things that everyone shouldn't have access to right off the start. As to say everyone shouldn't be instantly gifted with the knowledge of making such items. Mages are fine and all that. But producing something with magical effects, even small ones should take the individual some time before realizing they can do such a task. Anyway. All in all, this is a great idea.

~+1~

Of course. Most of the "advanced weapons and armor", alongside other medleys would be the product of Enchanting, something someone has to legitimately learn in order to utilize. Even then, any advanced equiptment or devices created with Enchanting would need schematics and specific details as to create several of a single item.

Yes, please. Mixing magical and technological research would be fantastic. I could be completely mistaken, but isn't redstone used for this sort of stuff already?

Yes, please. Mixing magical and technological research would be fantastic. I could be completely mistaken, but isn't redstone used for this sort of stuff already?

It can be, but I wrote limits for redstone in the past. I would assume it's no more capable of creating advanced technology than magic is, as explained in the OP.

But doesn't this already exist?

For instance, the scope of wars you described, enchanted gear is completely legitimate since you acquired it via your own materials.

To speak to the actual thread though, all in good fun, nothing too modern, and we always should stay within the context of our current age.

But doesn't this already exist?

For instance, the scope of wars you described, enchanted gear is completely legitimate since you acquired it via your own materials.

To speak to the actual thread though, all in good fun, nothing too modern, and we always should stay within the context of our current age.

"Advanced" gear goes beyond normal enchanted weapons and armor, whether they're enhanced by runesmithing or enchanting or otherwise. I refer to complicated enchanted armor and weapons that require smaller enchanted parts to be put together in order to form a larger operable outcome, like an advanced suit of armor. The TAC suit acts as an example of this despite only being intended for Pink Cloud immunity.