[Lore] Blood Magic - Second Generation

Raptorious

"Time went slowly in lythien, the plotting of the Bloodmages and the toil of their servants continued onwards, it was not until the Dread knights started to regain control of themselves that the tide changed. Rising up, they broke free of their shackles, a great battle rouse up within lythien as all things were put to the slaughter. Once the dust and fires died down, the remained but a few knights left standing, and no mages to be seen. Corpses littered the landscape around and little life was left to be seen."

@ Lago.

We're the reason for the original blood mages general death, in role play, anyway. The runes which bind us are most likely 'configured' so as to bind us to the dread lord, whomever that may be at a time. If the new blood mages found a way to, say, corrupt those runes like Heero did on Watyll's rouge DK, then I'd say a conversion of allegiance is possible.

The politics between Dread Knights and Blood Mages (new and old) isn't that relevant to the thread, the lore isn't a hijacking of dread knights, its the revival of a fantastic magic and great piece of lore and history that was cast aside rather abruptly and undeservedly back in Asulon.

^^^

The way Dread Knights work is they are bound to the will of their creator. As the last 4 or five generations have been made by a DK, they serve no Blood Mage, only their creator and follow their orders. In some cases, when their creator dies, the DK goes rogue like mine did as he was never given any order to follow the new Dread Lord.

Raptor also doesn't know the ritual for a new Dread Knight either, so he would not be able to bind them to his will. However, he might learn soon.

Absolutely, sorry. Just felt the need to clarify. I'll snip said post. Anyway, in relation to the actual lore, support.

Don't apologise and don't snip, leave the information there it's fine, no biggy. Just don't want people to get the wrong idea.

Raptor also doesn't know the ritual for a new Dread Knight either, so he would not be able to bind them to his will. However, he might learn soon.

This is rather relevant. The knowledge of the rituals the old Blood Mages performed is not apparent right now. Most of what they did would not be able to be done simply due to the fact that I/we don't know how to. Should that knowledge present itself, it would be different of course.

If you want to talk corruption of magic for inducing further effects and appearance changes, Ive actually been on top of brainstorming for a lot more definition on that in The Shades with Elindor for a while now. I could probably help you out on any of that if you wanted. And in general, you're one of mah bae's and I'd love to help you out purely because of that.

Might be able to offer some RP insight like Urasept's character from my time studying Seventh's blood mage carefully and doing some stuff with him.

On another note, +1 mah bae.

Another locked magic? :(

Anyway, this has Blood Magic written on it, so...

SUMMON LE BLUNDERMORE

and maybe le urasept

I'd say yes to this if it weren't a locked magic. For now. -1. 

It's really well written and balanced, but we don't need more locked arts to make new players confused.

I don't see why a dark art would ever be unlocked.

It's really well written and balanced, but we don't need more locked arts to make new players confused.

It is locked, though in a rather peculiar way. It isn't guild locked, so regardless of who you are, you can self teach. But it is abusable, as all dark arts are and thus I would rather not have 20 random people from the corners of the server claiming to be self taught T5 Blood Mages, when they have no cause to. Which is why it is OOCly locked, so those that can rightfully get access to this power through the proper RP channels, do so correctly.

I'm not a fan of introducing a magic type that the purpose of which is to make magic more powerful. Powergaming is powergaming, whether you've got lore behind you or not. Why not have some unique abilities rather than just providing an excuse for roleplaying magic with god-like abilities (possibly substitute god-like with shade-like. huehue)?

You have to remember, locked only means 'You need a valid teacher'. Before you'd have to have an application, go through strict leveling systems yaddayadda. The system is improved, yet sometimes restrictions are needed especially so when dark arts are involved. 

I'm not a fan of introducing a magic type that the purpose of which is to make magic more powerful. Powergaming is powergaming, whether you've got lore behind you or not. Why not have some unique abilities rather than just providing an excuse for roleplaying magic with god-like abilities (possibly substitute god-like with shade-like. huehue)?

The purpose of the magic was to allow players to create events themselves. To get more enjoyment and more excitement out of their magic. To make it a spectacle and to involve other people in their magic and RP as much as possible via the rituals, which was the original purpose. That cannot be done without higher levels of power and as shown in history, as well as many fantasy franchises, power cannot be achieved without sacrifice.

To that end, it would make perfect sense that they can apply the same skills with the same magic normally and without rituals, if at a cost of power. So what I did was outline exactly how that would work, if you were to apply the magic logically. There are massive downsides to using blood magic outside of rituals. It provides power at the cost of health at an extremely uneven ration, as I have said quite a few times in the original post. If one were to RPly use Blood Magic during combat, they would be forced to RP it's weaknesses which are, unlike many other magics, rather obvious and apparent. Thus powergaming is kept to a minimum.

EDIT:

And because the unique abilities that people have come up with regarding Blood Magic over the years have been powergaming. This allows for a to and fro, a back and forth when it comes to a Blood Mage and it's opponent. Blood control or blood summoning does now and was not at all what the original lore was about anyway.

Blood Magic needs strict Can's and Cannots, a strict line that tells you what is and is not possible, but one that also leaves the user some creativity. Overall, the lore is well written, and sounds fun for everyone involved

+1

You have to remember, locked only means 'You need a valid teacher'. Before you'd have to have an application, go through strict leveling systems yaddayadda. The system is improved, yet sometimes restrictions are needed especially so when dark arts are involved. 

Valid teacher? more like ooc buddy. I'm not being a jerk about it, but my reasons are quite valid. I'm one of those people who wants all magic unlocked, even my own magic-- clerical. I want all players to have the same experience.

Raptor, this is good, but the only reason that would bring me as a minority to say a +1 is if it would be available. All magic is power-gamable to the same extent no matter what type, the power-gaming varies by who does it. That's my reasoning. It is great lore though mangg, ^,^

This + arcane shielding = great escapes

I love seeing new magic added, especially ones that create an antagonistic bent, although I have a few questions. How would this magic serve to interact with the current community's "good guys?" Would Tahariae, the main clerical patron, find this an abhorrent perversion of the natural order, sanctioning the effects of holy fire upon the dark practicioners? What is to stop a necromancer or a shade, or for that matter, a humble ((Egomaniacal)), caring ((Certifiably insane)), and gentle ((Psychotic)), fire mage, from obtaining an edge in battle that specifically beats the counter of the base magic? Finally, and I mean no disrespect to guild-locked groups, being a strong proponent of guild-locking deitical magic, how cliquish do you intend to keep this magic, seeing as it requires your approval for even self-taught? It is this humble RPer's opinion that we do not need another "Okar" magic, sitting for a certain someone's exclusive clique of friends to enjoy.

Oh, and...

BLOOD, FOR THE BLOOD GOD!