Promote Freedom Of Roleplay

Cyndikate

It's better to deny lore proactively rather than ban people using it reactively. 

But in the mean-time they are still able to potentially ruin other people's experience. Just like real-life crime, the best way to stop crime isn't to punish the wrongdoers, but to eliminate what allowed them to become criminals. If you don't allow people to make up their own ideas on a whim without staff approval, then people can't use bad ideas at all. If you do, then even whilst they might get stopped eventually, they're still causing trouble.

What does the current system do that is wrong in your eyes?

Umm... well Kalifa I get where your going off to with this idea. I mean I realize its frustrating writing about RP and not being recognized or accepted for it. But rules are rules if we promote freedom of roleplay then what's stopping people from doing ridicules and unfair RP? Well the lore system in LotC is pretty forgiving allowing us to roleplay generic stuff, but things like new races, magic or creatures need to be accessed and systemized so it's fair and enjoyable to the entire playerbase. I don't mean to offend you in anyway, but atleast consider what I wrote above, thanks in advance. :)

Umm... well Kalifa I get where your going off to with this idea. I mean I realize its frustrating writing about RP and not being recognized or accepted for it. But rules are rules if we promote freedom of roleplay then what's stopping people from doing ridicules and unfair RP? Well the lore system in LotC is pretty forgiving allowing us to roleplay generic stuff, but things like new races, magic or creatures need to be accessed and systemized so it's fair and enjoyable to the entire playerbase. I don't mean to offend you in anyway, but atleast consider what I wrote above, thanks in advance. :)

You did not read what I have posted several times. I ask that you please do so before asking.

If nobody complains who exactly is going to stop you?

LMs for starters. GMs. People telling you what you can and can't play when players around you are having fun.

LMs for starters. GMs. People telling you what you can and can't play when players around you are having fun.

This right here is where its getting kinda screwy.

You can play stuff and give players fun WITHOUT BREAKING LORE.

Heck- it can be very fun to adhere to the rule-sets of said lore, and to be creative in such to figure out new or creative things to do WITHIN the perameters of said lore.

Instead of making a nine-tailed fox person outta the blue- (Correct me if I'm wrong about such, yet this is the example I'm seeing people use.) why dont you try and make that WITHIN the game...?

Make a character who wants to be like that for some reason- find a contract mage, get 'em to stick some foxtails on ta' ya', and presto! You've gotten what you've initially wanted, developed you character, and done it all in a lore-adherent manner!

I believe lore must stay, but it must be a bit more loosely enforced, and less dark and more fun.

I support your wish for freedom and all, but I'm not trying to log in one day to a bunch of Ezio's trying to pull off some next level assassinations, or a group of 10 people cybering. I think we all know that it'll end up turning out like that.

Individual expression is important; that doesn't mean it's always 'right'.

The extreme kind of expression that you propose is one of clambering over everybody else's uniqueness in the self-absorbed attempt to have one's ego stroked.

Quavinir's suggestion is what you should consider; at least it's in sync with the server's purpose - collaborative storytelling.

I feel freedom of role play is nice in ideal but could only come to pander some peoples god complexes.

LoTC I think can be put as a good analogy to chess. Everyone plays their piece and those pieces have rules. Chess would be no fun if one side solely consisted of queens and a king.

Every piece has their turn to play, every move equals the decisions the characters make and thus this leaves certain people or "Pieces" people to act. Freedom of role play threatens that because I have no reservation people will use this to create cure-all magics with no restrictions and infinite instantly workable solutions.

If someone wants to role play a six foot tall spanish monster, why does it fit in our world? At what point did Spanish become a necessary or splinter language? Why should it exist, and how does this influence everyone else?

These questions must through LM's minds when passed in front of them.

These rules like mech standard tried very much to rectify this issue, a issue the LM's were having a insurmountable obstacle to overcome. I can personally provide a situation were a LM gave out a piece of a staff and without consideration inadvertently gave a cure-all piece. I don't see the reason your character needs super special traits. I could go, no doubt in my mind pick up a human or a high elf right now and find a way to spark interest in some manner to people like calling them "Tidddles Lenniel'tahrran chirr'ignaesae maehr'luerlent" and then refusing to speak anything but elven and portray myself as increadibly well read to anyone who understood.

Heck, people would be very curious about a character like that. Just trying to work to understand them would generate good roleplay by linking further interactions.

A quirky character, a individual unique sparkle that really stands out does not need freedom of role playable concepts. The tools we have are ten times as expansive as the real world.

This is why lore is voted on. People will make these cure-all pieces regardless of other peoples roleplay in a bid to make their character relevant. What really makes characters relevant is to go out and explore the world. No matter how free your roleplay is, it will be stagnant if you found yourself limitless.

Honestly back when RP lore was more relaxed, I was somewhat ok with it...That was when I was a new player. Soon I started enjoying giving my character an edge in certain situations by actually implementing knowledge from the real world. Perhaps that's simply because I prefer seeing the underdog win in some situations...

However when lore was a lot more relaxed, I'd have people attempting to crush my character's neck with one-hand. Perhaps if they were a large Olog that makes sense lore wise... However this was a super-breed Mali' with glowing eyes and a bunch of made up relaxed 'lore' that coupled with powergaming allowed them to be unstoppable. Sure, it's easy to blame the powergaming but the limits of the characters are lost as soon as one allows folk to step into unknown territory without the others around them being educated in said unknown territory.

I often believe a character's specialty should be related to their RP purpose.  You shouldn't get Bob the friendly hellspawn, with all the powers of something super evil but actually he's nice and handsome. If Bob wants to be a hellspawn, he's there to ruin your day and has been given permission by higher ups that he won't just use this to get his/her way.

My other fear would be people using the lore relaxation to just 'be better' than the guy next to him. "I' want to be a War Cleric but I'm not a fan of Tahariae. Rather than trying to find an agreement...I'm going to make my own Patron who is 10x more powerful than Tah' because it makes sense to me..." From there it can escalate as suddenly things go crazy....

We're here to play a game, but right now, lore makes playing a task, you're scared to get banned if you do something remotely different. It's gotten to the point where it makes the game stressful to play. Lore needs to be more relaxed on, easily explained, allow some small loopholes, and inspire people to be creative without feeding their own internet god complex.

Though I must say, lore feeds the complex more than a lack of lore, though lore may not be the issue here, it is the way we treat lore. Lore is meant to establish a setting, and this setting is important yes, but if it's too tight of a setting, things get stale, there needs to be easier explanations and less of a pain to understand. The setting could also use some work, lighten things up. The lore at times can bust somebody's brain, it's well written, but hard to understand as I said earlier.

If it was easier to understand there'd be little issue.

Honestly, I would reccemond trying to play a normal person. Don't make them all special and such. My most played character is just your average Human, not the wooden golem-like creature that I wrote pages of Lore for. 

If you want to "Make fun, not Lore" try "Make fun". That should be why you're on the server, not to be different. As stated hundreds of times, we all compose one story, and sometimes everyone's favorite person is the funny sidekick whose just your average joe but makes some funny jokes!

Be unique in how your character RP's, not what your character is.

This right here is where its getting kinda screwy.

You can play stuff and give players fun WITHOUT BREAKING LORE.

Heck- it can be very fun to adhere to the rule-sets of said lore, and to be creative in such to figure out new or creative things to do WITHIN the perameters of said lore.

Instead of making a nine-tailed fox person outta the blue- (Correct me if I'm wrong about such, yet this is the example I'm seeing people use.) why dont you try and make that WITHIN the game...?

Make a character who wants to be like that for some reason- find a contract mage, get 'em to stick some foxtails on ta' ya', and presto! You've gotten what you've initially wanted, developed you character, and done it all in a lore-adherent manner!

What if I want to do something a little more interesting than what we have, something a little new? A concept to test? I'm saying that as long as you and the players around you are enjoying yourselves, it shouldn't matter how stupid or lore breaking it is. I remember the most retarded characters and ideas being played, and the roleplay was fun. We didn't have lore established and no one cared what you RP'd. People just had a laugh and rolled with it because the player executed his ideas beautifully.

Example?

Hyperbolic Time Chambers. Back a few years ago. Yeah, it was dumb, but I and a few players rolled with it and enjoyed things.

Demons - yeah, sometimes it's stupid, but no one cared.