Promote Freedom Of Roleplay

Cyndikate

Lets say one is bored with the dull and unexciting roleplay that's going on, and he has an idea that can promote some really exciting roleplay for himself and the rest of the server. So he spends time off LOTC to write.

Only to find that you get picky LMs voting on whether or not the lore should be put on the server.

Want to roleplay a magical creature with 6 tails and speaks spanish? Lore is required.

Want to create your own type of silly fart magic? Write lore.

Want to roleplay as something that goes beyond the norm in LOTC? Write.

This is, what a previous poster has stated, why we do have some forms of elitism on LOTC. Because players who are not the standard accepted races would think themselves above the rest just because they wrote 6 pages of well written prose on how their characters are different from others, got somehow approved. But why does he write lore? Because he is required to, even with the Mechanical Standard Clause. Even if he writes the 6 page long lore, he would have to wait for the verdict of a team of LMs with no guarantee that it will be approved, and if it doesn't get approved, guess what? You're not allowed to roleplay it without so much as an concise and detailed explanation of what's wrong with it.

See the problem? The player wants to play something a little bit different, only to be told "lolucantRPit". Ultimately, and restricting roleplay, that could have been more fun for other players if they were approved.

I have come today to bring back an amazing concept that we used to have back in the old days until Magic Applications came along, essentially back then requiring players to write lore for everything. Back when I first started, you could roleplay whatever you wanted, with some small restrictions. If you wanted to make up something, you could. Instead of just writing, you do it, as long as other players can have fun with your roleplay and you don't metagame or powergame. 

Free up roleplay. Let players play how they choose, as long as they don't break what was established in our current lore, and as long as they can provide interesting and fun roleplay for others. Aka, don't play new races. Don't suddenly decide to be a frost witch etc, don't just become a dark mage that can insta-kill people with a pimp slap. The only thing you cannot roleplay is something that could be considered breaking server rules, or powergaming or metagaming or just causing a huge ruckus.

Let players roleplay and test out new ideas for magic, only that they will not get the magic plugin treatment unless they write lore. They only way they can mechanically represent their own made up magic is armor and a sword.

Are you guys concerned about the bad roleplayers suddenly deciding that they know some bullshit magic that explode walls and send Ologs flying? Or just something completely stupid? Here's the beauty of it. This is one of the very few things we can trust players to regulate. And the best way to regulate such bad roleplay is PVP default. If you don't enjoy the roleplay, let the player know. If he doesn't learn, then you are at full authority to pvp default on sight.

As long as the roleplay is interesting and fun for other players, then I feel that players should RP as they wish without being so limited to what they can play without fear of getting banned.

Make fun, not lore

You've made topics like this 30 times already.

That's not to say I don't agree but easy does it m7

The only reason I see you've made this thread is because you started characters based off of unapproved lore, and when it was not permitted to be written into the LOTC lore, you got upset.

If you want to play a 6 tailed creature that speaks spanish.

1) Become ET.
2) Learn spanish.
3) Log in and roleplay with a fitting skin.

I just skimmed it, but ETs can play weird creatures without writing lore to them, unless such was changed last time I looked. 

Fart magic? Just.. Fart? Bam.. No need to have an actual magic to have a char that thinks he got magical farts, a silly halfling/whatever just managed to generate roleplay!

Um...

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/101743-the-lore-mechanical-standard/

You're almost a year late to the party.

We did this, what, last summer? We brought it in very soon after PvP default gave us a the best regulation method we could ask for. The lore team actively discourages making lore for stuff, instead directing players to work within the rules and game mechanics to just go ahead and do it.

The irony is a month back we had a load of threads demanding we go back to fairly strict LM control, except on top of that remove the ability of players to write lore altogether. So rather than "No, you gotta write lore" it's "No. Not happening. Ever."

people still write lore?

We get stuff occasionally, but all too often it's either yet another magic or it's tailored to the benefit of the player rather than the server. Frequently both.

I just skimmed it, but ETs can play weird creatures without writing lore to them, unless such was changed last time I looked.

The ET leader can bypass the lore team in the interests of getting stuff done without having to go through a million staff votes and stuff.

Um...

http://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/101743-the-lore-mechanical-standard/

You're almost a year late to the party.

We did this, what, last summer? We brought it in very soon after PvP default gave us a the best regulation method we could ask for. The lore team actively discourages making lore for stuff, instead directing players to work within the rules and game mechanics to just go ahead and do it.

The irony is a month back we had a load of threads demanding we go back to fairly strict LM control, except on top of that remove the ability of players to write lore altogether. So rather than "No, you gotta write lore" it's "No. Not happening. Ever."

See. It's been tried. The concept itself is unclear, and even if you tried to follow it, you still get the "u gotta write lore" response and when players have tried to follow mechanics, they get GMs telling them "No. you cannot do that."

That depends on what you're doing. I can only vaguely respond to vagueness.

In addition, Cyndikate, if you're going to anonymise your forum profile please move that Dalek348 quote to the top of your post. I mistook you for Dalek.

Please God no.

Isn't our freedom in roleplay enough, holy ****. We have people playing whisps and animals and stuff and we have tons of races/cultures to choose from as well as magic, we really don't need to keep stacking up things to the point where we're drowning in new special snowflake characters.

I think you're just upset because you made two characters and roleplayed them before the lore was even accepted, then when it got denied you had to permakill them.

A world with (light) lore restrictions alongside the mechanical standard to direct the flow of roleplay, creating the balance between realism, fantasy and entertainment:

big_thumb_2be700ae8342914d46fde2cd6a97e2

A world with no lore restrictions where everybody can do everything and anything they want the moment the idea pops into their head:

spirits_of_the_psychedelic_forest_by_liq

A little control (and compared to what we were like before, this really is a little) keeps us on a stable path. Besides, I'm not sure what your argument is. You mention removing lore restrictions entirely, and later go on to state we should actually keep some restrictions.

No lore restrictions = temporary fun! Until everybody gets sick of living in wonderland and wants some sanity restored, because when everything's unique, powerful and amazing, nothing is.

Heavy lore restrictions = Players feel very contained, unable to do or say anything in fear that they're going to need lore for it.

Our lore restrictions = freedom to roleplay casually, while maintaining lore continuation and stability.

That depends on what you're doing. I can only vaguely respond to vagueness.

In addition, Cyndikate, if you're going to anonymise your forum profile please move that Dalek348 quote to the top of your post. I mistook you for Dalek.

I checked too, Lago. Wierd Profile name and 1400 some posts? Fishy...

Furthermore, I feel that if we had it your way, Cyndikate,

the amount of powergaming on the server would increase exponentially.

Disagreements would crop up over misunderstandings,

pertaining to what a character can/can not/should not do.

These rules and restrictions are in place for a reason.

They are not there soley to condemn you,

but to a great degree, protect the community from upheaval.