Magic Overhaul Proposal

Katherine1

Magic Overhaul

Magic is a bit messy at the moment. We have countless magics in Archetypes that sort of mean something. These changes are meant to not only clean up the organization of magic, but to group similar forms of magic as well. For instance, like other proposals, this merges the evocations due to their similar nature. This also splits some Archetypes, creating five instead of the three (Arcane, Divine, Dark) we had before.

Organization

There are 5 Archetypes now. Archetypes represent the source the magic in question draws from. These Archetypes are Arcane, Psychic, Supernatural, Life Force, and Runic.

Arcane is magic derived from the void.

Psychic is magic derived directly from the mind rather than a connection to the void. Magics in this section used to be void magic, but are being changed due to both the large diversity within Arcane magic and the focus of these magics.

Supernatural magic is magic gained from supernatural beings such as Aengudaemons, Spirits, Shades and the like.

Life Force is the archetype of magic that draws from and manipulates the life force or soul of the caster or the thing being cast on.

Runic magic derives it’s power from runes.

Subtypes are the existing magic types. Conjuration, for instance, is a type that draws from the void. Therefore Conjuration falls under the Arcane Archetype. Conjuration is the subtype, Arcane is the Archetype.

The new Archetypes with the magic grouped under them is as follows:

Arcane

-Evocation (All Evocations merged)

-Arcane Shielding

-Conjuration

-Transfiguration

-Void Translocation

-Anti-Magic (Fi'hiiran'seth, both kinds, plus expansion for the new archetypes, if the Fi authors wish to do so.)

-Beardmancy

-Bardmancy

Psychic

-Telekinesis

-Mental Magic (Telepathy)

-Illusions

-Cognitism

Supernatural

-Ascended (Aeriel)

-Undead (Iblees)

-Monks (The Triumvirate)

-Clerical (Taharie)

-Druidism (The Aspects)

-Shamanism (The Spirits)

-Frost Witches (Cursed by an unknown spirit)

-Shade Magic (Magic comes from a Shade)

-Moon Magic (Metztli)

Life Force

-Necromancy

-Soul Puppetry

-Contract Magic

-Okar

-Blood Magic

Runic

-Runesmithing

-Golemancy

Revisions

Magic can be learned from any Archetype, though crossing into different Archetypes takes more study due to the sources of magic being different. As it is, an individual is capable of retaining knowledge of 4 subtypes. Attempting to learn more is just beyond what a mortal can remember.

Tiers

Well, some people hate them, and some people love them. They provide a differentiation in skill, but it can be seen as encouraging power grabbing and elitism. Along with this reordering, I'm proposing a compromise tier system in place of the 5 tier system that is currently tossed about due to it’s use by the MAT. So, here is the three tier system:

Student - You are just learning the subtype and how to use it.

Proficient - You've finished learning the magic. You're at the skill level of an average mage.

Mastery - You've dedicated yourself to the study of a subtype to the point where you know that subtype better than any other magic. This is the subtype you focus on. You can only focus on a single subtype.

Types below the subtype delineation

They can exist, and how many you can know depends on the subtype in question. Supernatural magic often has subtypes within their subtype. The different evocations can be considered subtypes of the evocation subtype. As of this change, there is no limit to the number of evocations you can know if you learn evocation, though lore could be written in the future to limit the number of elements you can know if it is a problem.

FAQ

Why are you doing this?

As I said above, magic is a bit of a mess. We have a lot of magic with a lot of sources. While Arcane and Divine pretty much remained the realm of void magic and magic given by supernatural beings, dark magic was basically any “evil” magic. That tells you nothing about where the magic draws it’s power from.

The very first thing I wanted to do was change Archetypes to represent where the magic draws it’s power from. It turns out a lot of Dark magic draws its power or involves manipulating a person’s life force or soul. As such, they were largely able to stay together. Some did move, though. Shade and Frost Witch magic both found homes in the Supernatural archetype, given one is a curse by a spirit, and the other is power granted by an entity possessing you.

Secondly, I felt it’d clean things up if some things were merged. The evocations really were the target of this for the most part.

Thirdly, I split off some Arcane into a new category (Psychic). This change really shouldn’t affect much other than perception of the magic, the source of the magic, and it is more or less a preference thing. We’ll see whether or not this gets to stay. If not it can easily be put back into Arcane. I think the precedent of psychic abilities as a source of magic would be good, though.

What? Psychic? That stuff is all Arcane!

As I said, that stuff was Arcane. Arcane is also fairly large with a large diversity of types of magic within it. I felt that this stuff could become it’s own thing with comparatively minimal trouble. It’s also something that can be removed before final acceptance or denial, so don’t let this be the thing that makes you want to say no.

Ugh! Why are you bringing back tiers!?

Well, tiers happen to be useful because not everyone is the same, fortunately, I made them a bit simpler. Mostly everyone will be Proficient under the new tiers. Mastery is really only for the subtype your character focuses their studies on. Student level is really only for when you’re learning the magic. It’s simple, it allows some variation in strength, and hopefully fits better than the 5 tier system that has hung around because of the MAT.

Hey! This splits up some of the magic I have into different Archetypes! I don’t want to lose my magic!

Don’t worry! Unless you know more than four subtypes (Which you shouldn’t. People aren’t perfect and have limits) it won’t really affect you. The source of magic for the psychic Archetype is changing, but that’s it.

What the heck!? You’re making it okay for people to use void magic and deity magic together?

Nope. Not touching that. That remains under the purview of the magic groups in question. Additionally, any magic that was locked is still locked, and any magic that can be removed can still be removed.

Doesn’t this screw up Fi'hiiran'seth?

That’s why I suggested it be expanded to encompass all the new Archetypes.

This is restricting!

Not really. Only if you find not being able to be a master of everything restricting. This is actually trying to be fairly flexible within reason. Note how you’re able to take subtypes regardless of Archetype.

I like it.

+1

Psychic magic is magic you just create from your mind itself? I dislike that idea, unless I do not understand it correctly (In which case, please explain more!)

I think magic is fine as it is. But the new Psychic archetype is something really interesting. And no tiers please, they cause magic to be less freeform. Neither a +1 or -1 from me.

Psychic magic is magic you just create from your mind itself? I dislike that idea, unless I do not understand it correctly (In which case, please explain more!)

The prototypical psychic abilities are telepathy and telekinesis. We have those as void magic currently. Mind magic requires connecting to a middle man through the void. Illusion is closely related to Mind Magic, and Cognitism requires both Mind Magic and Illusion. The change is minimal, as it shifts them from branches of void magic to proper psychic abilities. This is also the most optional change.

I think magic is fine as it is. But the new Psychic archetype is something really interesting. And no tiers please, they cause magic to be less freeform. Neither a +1 or -1 from me.

The tiers aren't meant to be overbearing. It's literally "Student, Normal User, Guy who studies this magic more than anything else." There is plenty of wiggle room, and far more than what the five tier system that gets thrown about offers.

As much as I love adding non-void magic and the psychic type seems cool, IDK about magic overhaul. It's already sort of a mess, adding more stuff seems iffy.

The levels.. I get what you're going with, but if anything, just.. take out the word tier. It carries too much connotation here.

I'll stay neutral.

As much as I love adding non-void magic and the psychic type seems cool, IDK about magic overhaul. It's already sort of a mess, adding more stuff seems iffy.

The levels.. I get what you're going with, but if anything, just.. take out the word tier. It carries too much connotation here.

I'll stay neutral.

It's not adding new abilities, it's shifting some magic that's currently void magic over to be it's own thing. It can be put right back into Arcane if it's an issue.

I used tier because it's what everyone is familiar with, but I deliberately named each level rather than call them "Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3"

It's not adding new abilities, it's shifting some magic that's currently void magic over to be it's own thing. It can be put right back into Arcane if it's an issue.

Right, but I meant more stuff to learn and know, more rules to memorize, etc.

I just get the feeling if psychic type is added, people will create so much more nonsense that goes into it and it'll be another really complicated thing.

Right, but I meant more stuff to learn and know, more rules to memorize, etc.

I just get the feeling if psychic type is added, people will create so much more nonsense that goes into it and it'll be another really complicated thing.

Maybe, but arguing that people will just over complicate it is an argument against anything new.

The reorganization is unnecessary, as are the additional restrictions. Folks can be good at multiple magic types, and the sources of magic presently are fine.