[Final] Fens

TavernLich

LM Edit: To get one of these creatures, please read this post:  https://www.lordofthecraft.net/topic/125977-pets-and-so-the-fens-blossomed/

The concept is accepted however the explanation behind it is not due to the complex nature of souls and animals, and well, it's never actually been stated they have souls. We wouldn't expect any of it to be learnt in RP anyways so, it really shouldn't have much effect.

Writings of an Old Man...

Day 1

forest_wisp_by_ferdinandladera-d7h8aoc.j

Throughout the scattered lands of Athera lay ruins of old and architecture along with culture long forgotten, however one other-worldy creation continues to serve as an epicenter for knowledge and wisdom, the Fen.

Via my studious and rather patient nature, I have seemingly encountered a plethora of these ‘Fens,’ conjured around the time of dusk til’ sunrise… Though they are quite shy and timid around me, I have managed to steal abrupt meetings with them, mostly at my expense.

When these fenss come face to face with what they believe is a threat, they emit a golden, ichor-like substance, guzzling from the center of their core. This substance, while proving to be rather harmless, has been enough to stave off the other dangers of the night, including myself apparently.

It seems to work through bright light, followed by a ghastly stench of rotten eggs, multiplied to a grave amount! However, this is rather rare, and most of the time, the little tricksters would prefer to flutter away at great speeds.

Tomorrow, I shall get a closer look, smelly or not.

Day 2

Amazing! The fens seem to have hastily adapted to my presence, allowing to get a MUCH closer look. They seem to have a high sense of intelligence, able to discern who is a threat and isn’t… curious.

Anyways, their appearance! It baffled me! To think this entire time, they were just orbs of light, taking the appearance of various colors in the color spectrum, but nay! In their epicenter, their core, is a skull. Yes, a human skull.

dota_2_wisp__io_by_ahyou1991-d5h1cif.jpg

This skull, seems to provide as a means for the fens to shelter themselves during the day and produce their infamous golden ichor!

Day 3

friendly_wisp_by_tanathe-d45lfuz.jpg

Dear me, I believe I had witnessed a universal phenomenon… The fens, when I encountered them and physically came in contact with them, I experienced a vast flash of their… previous life.

One would think them to be that of humans or at least one of the descendent races, but no. The visions, of all things, seemed to have come from an animalistic point of view, some soaring through the sky, others prowling in the night!

I must find out more!

Day 4

The visions! They tell the tale of the fens’ previous and current lives! Some being past wolves, others being chipmunks!

There past lives seem to affect their behavior, the animals like wolves and bears sharing more aggressive and courageous nature, while the animals such as deer and the tortoise seem gentle and easily frightened.

Day 5

I have left the ruins, traveling to around to publish and share my words… with my friend.

Before I left, the first fen to ever share their visions, grew a bond with me, following me around. It seems we are rather close. Coincidentally, it was an owl, a symbol of knowledge and wisdom. Bhahahah!

For now, I leave you!

OOC:

Here are some questions and answers as well as the Wisps’ abilities in a nutshell.

What are Fens?

Fens are a variant of ghosts, a soul of an animal. Meaning, a fen must be RP’ed with similar weaknesses to ghosts; they dematerialize when in contact with sunlight, share the undead’s aversion, weakness and pain to gold, can be exorcised (via a Shaman, Cleric, etc.) meaning they are permanently killed and so forth.

Can Fens be killed? If so, how?

Fens can absolutely be killed. They can be killed in anyway a human or animal can, with the exception of old age, disease, hunger, suffocation, etc. This means Fens can be stabbed, beaten and whipped to death. However, only exorcising a Fen can truly and permanently kill it.

How do they re-materialize after being killed?

Fens, after being dematerialized, can be brought back once they regain energy and mana to support themselves. The player must RP the fen being gone for at least one IRL day before the Fen can regenerate and come back.

Can Fens go through walls and objects?

No, Fens cannot, under any circumstances, phase through walls and objects.

So they are animal souls, does this mean Druidic Communion works with them? Do they have a bond with Druids?

No, Druidic Communion no longer works on Fens as they are entirely different creatures now. The only thing their past life as an animal really affects is their nature and personality. Fens can have a bond with anyone, Fens favor Druids only as much as the other guy.

Fen Abilities:

- Ability to hold a singular and small object. For example, they can carry a mug or their skull. This hinders their movements, making them move at a slow, jogging pace.

- Able to spray a limited amount of Ichor-like substance on things. It creates a skunk-like smell and a Fen can produce a small amount that would fill a water bottle. This substance is thick and slimy, similar to honey. It also emits a dim light, matching the Fen’s color. When used, a Wisp has to wait an IRL day to use it again, this day is

used for them to produce more.

- Ability to hover off ground, their strength able to carry them only up 6ft.

- Ability to fly away at speeds similar to humans, however this exhausts their energy, and could potentially de-materialize them if moving too long or fast.

That’s basically it, this lore is open for change, thanks for reading!!

I like! *steals one and runs away*

+1

Thank you both!

Anyways, just as an fyi, despite the fact that these wisps will be distributed through RP rather than just being a "free" pet, this won't be a special-snowflake pet. Anyone can get them via RPing through me or through forum RP, there will be an infinite amount of wisps to be given out, so long as the people receiving them can prove to be proficient in RPing them. Thanks!

OSxV29Q.gif

Could these be used like the spirits from Dragon Age and be turned into some form of demon or something? Or can they not be corrupted? Also, this may finally give us a use for that black sap that falls from trees.

Sadly, as cool as that sounds, no. I really don’t want to delve into drastic areas with demons and so forth. Perhaps in the future a lore integration with Apparitions may be proposed, but for now, wisps shall remain as simple spiritual animals.

That said, wisps cannot be corrupted, but can be ‘corrupt.’ Again, their nature depends on their personality as living animals.

I think this is fine as long as it doesn't prevent me (And mango) from playing my current Wisp.

o_O Hmm, yeah. There are current "wisps," that is a problem to this lore. Is there solid lore on the current wisps we have now? If so I would rather self-deny this.

this is a bit confusing, we already have things called 'wisps' i dont know much about them. Your also saying these wisps were animals in their previous lives? Then what are these things in reality? Are they ghosts, or souls? Can Druids talk to them and can these things understand Druid speak or whatever it is they use? I'm sorry but im just saying.

o_O Hmm, yeah. There are current "wisps," that is a problem to this lore. Is there solid lore on the current wisps we have now? If so I would rather self-deny this.

Well I think the Kha's wisp things have lore, but the ones that I've played in the past have just been a little bit of light-hearted roleplay and were essentially just event characters.

Thanks for the information Pinsir!

And for Marine, they are not animals, obviously. They are a varient of ghosts, a spiritual embodiment of a previous animal held together by mana. As I said, there are gaps and mistakes in the lore that need to be added or revised, I will try to make things more clear.

Do note, however, wisps will be simple 'pets' and creatures, drastic changes and interactions with people like Druids would most likely be minimal, perhaps non-existent.

EDIT: Revised the OOC section, lore almost finished.

Is this lore still in WIP?

With no other feedback... No, it is not a WIP. It should be ready for review now.

I like the idea, could bring some great roleplay. :)

+1

This sounds really cool, but correct me if I'm wrong but they have human skulls in them? But they are past lives of animals? Um, why not animal skulls? Right?