[✗] Steam Golem & Steam Heart

Z3r05t4r

Steam released from certain valves which power certain motors which perform certain tasks which do small things, such as move a leg piece and then the same thing goes for the lowering of the leg, etc. Not impossible, difficult but not impossible.

It doesn't move like a human. It moves like a golem.

Read the first sentence before nitpicking.

Steam released from certain valves which power certain motors which perform certain tasks which do small things, such as move a leg piece and then the same thing goes for the lowering of the leg, etc. Not impossible, difficult but not impossible.

Sky has done me the favor and noted it basically. The golem core which is still required after all, controls the flow of steam inside the golem, hence indirectly "moving" its body.

That being said, such fine control of steam would come at the cost of this thing surely being slower and weaker than that of a normal golem?

I mean, it requires on mechanical parts where as golems use non-connected limbs and have the runes move them, the strain must be terrible. 

That being said, such fine control of steam would come at the cost of this thing surely being slower and weaker than that of a normal golem?

^ Not to mention the added task of maintenance of thousands of tiny little mechanical pieces all fitting together into something that, if a part is misplaced, could either shut down or blow up.

^ Not to mention the added task of maintenance of thousands of tiny little mechanical pieces all fitting together into something that, if a part is misplaced, could either shut down or blow up.

Yeah, loss of efficiency due to steam from being allowed to be operationally for any period of time would create significant issues. 

Additionally, the cost of maintenance may be easier in terms.. well, I don't know how milling hundreds of mechanized parts its easier than golematic runeing of stone tbh. Both seem equal in time to make but one would cost more.

Moved to roleplay ideas

You make this idea after you have been rp'ing him for so long. That is the reason for a -1

You make this idea after you have been rp'ing him for so long. That is the reason for a -1

I think wolfkite is jealous that something more PG then all his chars has come around!

+1 from me

This is quite unclear to me, what do you mean, I have been RPing him for so long? If it is for a steam golem, I personally have never played one, just to be clear. I am offering this as an opportunity to others.

EDIT: As for my character Silus, if that is your concern, he has been my second main character, starting in Elysium. He is indeed an old entity, please bear such in mind.

EDIT 2: As for Lima and Nalatac, I do understand your concern, but you see it incredibly strict. I do not see why a golem who uses true physical power should be inferior to a golem who relies on magical power.

The aspect of being incredibly complex is a different story, and it's not like his entire body is an automaton of gears and nuts so small that your eye can't see them, most of it isn't even that complex. The most complex part of the whole machinery is the Steam Heart itself, the rest is just a combination of rotation joints, pipes, a body skeleton of steel with armor plates.

The strain is not terrible, why should it be? In comparison, is the strain on a train also very high just because it is constructed? If the golem is powered down, as in, either the Steam Heart is not active or it has no golem core, it's a constructed body of metal. It will stand or sit there, or fall over if pushed. And that's it.

Z3ro, Steam Golems would be incredibly complex to build in order to make them work at the capacity of a Magical Golem, even what you described would not be enough to make it be as strong and as efficient as a Magical Golem. A Magical Golem is made of pure stone usually, completely all the way through, know what steam does in tiny places? Builds a lot of pressure really fast, making Steam Golems not only weaker to attacks from possibility of being severely damaged if hit on a spot with built up pressure, but also make there a chance for them to explode on their own from this build up.

One way or another, Steam Golems, unless your character spends centuries trying to make one to be perfect, and only one, you will never achieve a Steam Golem being as good as a Magical Golem. Steam Golems are so tight-nit of metals and built up pressure, if they get hit and are not designed to either fix themselves or have an incredibly strong outer layer, they will be permanently damaged where hit unless they are shut down, taken apart, and put back together again.

Steam Golems are a good idea, but by no means will they ever be as strong as a Magical Golem, much less stronger than one.

I observed this lore in effect as a 'prototype' during 3.0 and 3.5. It was well-roleplayed and worked both in concept and function. It is rare that something so complex transfers so well from written lore into actual, working role-play, and I regard steam golems fondly because of that.

It adds another dynamic and contributes to the overall fantasy atmosphere that Lord of the Craft strives for. The construction is perhaps difficult to envision, but a golem core-steam hybrid is by no means implausible. It adds another dimension to golem lore overall and sets a precedence for 'thinking outside of the box' (with proper Lore Team oversight) in regards to the lore's development.

It points a bit towards that, yes. Not that it would be bad, no?