Runesmithing

Lima

The lore is now [under Review] 

Please expect a result within a week or just afterward as the team reviews this piece!

This lore seems very solid, and provides a great new frontier for Dwarven RP.

+1

The lore is now [under Review] 

Please expect a result within a week or just afterward as the team reviews this piece!

Just remember to read the notes.

Also my internal dialog feels a lot like this song right now as I wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcUwUwjLrs

Random question, who would "start off" knowing this magic? Do you have people in mind?

Random question, who would "start off" knowing this magic? Do you have people in mind?

We will be running off the runesmiths from 501's writeup as it was to some degree roleplayed out, as it is being treated as a direct follow up. Names of those who will have it are the following: Dizzy771, Epicbeast6209, BaronVonDietz [though his character does not have access to his runic tools], Jordan1921 [who managed to flat out lose his tools] and myself.

However, it should be noted that as a item creation magic those who have it does not directly correlate general approach and usability.

At least 3 of the runesmiths there believe IC that the arts of the Dwedmar are a service that must be provided if the person who have the products use it for a just or good cause.

We also have more students to eventually introduce. I plan a full implementation method making it a more ''guild'' than ''nation'' magic, though still exclusive to dwarven characters [through IC means]. 

tbh sounds like this was only written to mcly benefit the dwarves...

1. How does this MCly benefit dwarves?

2. I am not part of the dwarven nation... lol.

3. We had a version of the magic before this that was leaps more powerful.

4. Are you aware we had a racial magic, just like how orcs have shamanism?

My main buzz with it is the example really, a skeleton key from my take on it. As much as I think it should be some kind of thing, it sounds to me like with a little bit of elbow grease, all the sudden the maker can open any kind of that door, and the way I am taking it, I would see no reason that would not also work on chests.

My main buzz with it is the example really, a skeleton key from my take on it. As much as I think it should be some kind of thing, it sounds to me like with a little bit of elbow grease, all the sudden the maker can open any kind of that door, and the way I am taking it, I would see no reason that would not also work on chests.

Wait explain..?

Oh, you have concern over the creation of a key that can open any form of lock?

Riiight! Well, here is where I put down your worry, for any generic construct marked utility has to be fully runically designated first. A object is just a piece of shaped metal until someone comes over and says ''this is a lock, with another thing it has this use'' and its one of the things a runesmith has to do.

So unless the runesmith had access to both sides of the lock upon its creation and the interior working parts, they would not be able to skeleton key a normally functioning door.

-snip-

Thanks for clearing that up, this magic sounds now sounds like a good addition to the lore of LoTC.

My only take on dwarven rune smithing is that it should be like all the other fantasy style, creating runes of power that effect not only weapons but the environment.

Its a meh subject and its always been going through rewrites, dont expect yours will stay long.

My only take on dwarven rune smithing is that it should be like all the other fantasy style, creating runes of power that effect not only weapons but the environment.

Did you read the post..?

I made a lot of it with architecture in mind. 

Skimmed over it so sorry if this was answer already. Will Divine, Elemental and Golematic all be treated as separate subtypes within runesmithing (similar concepts used within shamanism and druidism) or is it simply a system for organizing the runes catalog?

Unique benefits and exclusivity are not always a problem. Plenty of "neutral" magics and various other groups exist that can fill any gap created by runesmithing (such as enchanting or evocations if you're interested in the elemental aspects).

Skimmed over it so sorry if this was answer already. Will Divine, Elemental and Golematic all be treated as separate subtypes within runesmithing (similar concepts used within shamanism and druidism) or is it simply a system for organizing the runes catalog?

Yes, They are subtypes of the magic