Skeletal Limbs

Mephistophelian

Skeletal Limbs
BN0Gonc.png
{2nd of Sun’s Smile, 1541}

It is with a smile that I write the following report on my recent experiment. It would not have been possible, of course, without the help of the dear Paladin Vailoen, and for that she must be thanked. With formalities now aside, I shall continue.

It is through a simple idea and no small amount of experimentation that I was able to attach a skeletal limb to a living descendant. Though I will not recount the failure I had the first time, it must be known that the limb must be fully dead, with flesh either gone or unable to react to electrical stimuli. This is because, the moment the limb is allowed to re-attach with flesh that is still able to react to stimuli, it resists the effects of life force on it. All I was able to achieve was great pain to the recipient of this limb and a high chance of infection.

Now, the process of connecting a skeletal limb to a body is simple in idea but more complex in application. First, one must have a person with a missing limb. Second, one must have a replacement, skeletal limb. This replacement limb must be entirely dead. Next, the weaver of lifeforce must find a means of attaching the limb to the person. I, myself, bonemelded the limb to the body of the target by exposing some bone of theirs. I allowed it to die, and then performed the melding of the new skeletal limb and the target. Unfortunately, I was faced with the realisation that bone melding does not work on living creatures. Next, I performed a similar experiment on the patient's toe, and was able to successfully bind the skeletal toe to their foot, using a piece of mage's gold as a sort of 'cap' on the lump of missing toe. There, I attached the skeletal toe. After, the arm was attached via a simple harness. Regardless of method, I found that the new limb could not be far from the body else it would simply stop working, for reasons soon to be mentioned. 

squf6rN.png

After having attached the skeletal limb, one must supply life force into the dead limb and animate it. It is suggested that all motor functions are tested, to ensure the limb may move completely. Next, one must tether the target to their new limb. The difficulty lies in tethering each, previous muscle of the target to each part of the limb. If, for example, I wished to enable to target to use their fingers once more, I had to tether the tendons (and the muscles behind said tendons) to the fingers. This prevented me from adding any unnatural additions (such as longer fingers, or boney blades), simply because there were no muscles or tendons to tether and perform said actions. Though unfortunate, it did not prevent me from adding a new limb, so disgruntled I was not. Now with each useful muscle and tendon tethered and powering the skeletal limb, I was able to relinquish my own supply of the new addition, and allow the subject to use it. Though my subject was not particularly helpful, she was still able to move the limb. I found that the limb could not be disconnected and moved away from the body simply because the tether faded, and the lifeforce provided to the limb was too weak. I was afraid of having to repeat the procedure again, so it was not brought too far away from the body. Over all, my findings lead to the following being the 'final product': A tether exists between the muscle/tendons of the host, and simply using said muscles/tendons causes an influx of lifeforce at the muscle or tendon, as with normal, functioning creatures. This influx allows the tether to activate the limb, in varying amounts. Of course, getting used to this takes a while, though I am most relieved that the limb is fuelled by the host and not a third party.

On a final note, the patient did report being able to feel any resistance had on their limb. Though it was not a sense of touch, per se, it did allow them to know when they could no longer curl the fingers of their skeletal hand in, for example, or push their toe through a shoe. In short, they could feel something limiting the movement, but not actually feel the touch of this object.

In all, I believe I have found a new way for the limbless to be whole, or at least somewhat, once more. These findings shall be sent to fellow weavers the moment I have perfected this technique.

Overview:

- Skeletal limbs that can be used to replace lost limbs.

- Skeletal limbs are added using simple harnesses or pivots.

- This is done by tethering the muscles and tendons that were responsible for the movement of parts of this limb to said bits of limb.

- This means no 'unnatural' limbs may be made, such as six-fingered hands or two-footed feet. This also means skeletal limbs can only replace partially lost limbs, not entirely; it can replace half a leg, but if you lost your whole leg, it cannot.

- The limbs are as tough as dry bone; not very. They do, however, hold almost the same strength as a normal limb, albeit they exhaust faster.

- Those with this limb cannot feel any touch on it, though they can sense when the limb is facing resistance (such as when holding an egg) and can adjust the force accordingly.

- It is performed by a master necromancer, or any necromancer capable of switching the tether of a corpse from themselves to a target.

- You don't need to be a necromancer to use/have this.

- A necromancer does not need to 'refuel' this.

- You do not need to know how to control lifeforce to use this.

Red Lines:

- The limb cannot be stronger than a normal limb.

- You cannot use bone melding to attach a limb to the host.

- The limb cannot go outside of the shape of a normal limb.

- You cannot replace entirely lost limbs with it.

- You cannot have a sense of touch on the limb itself.

- The bone is still dry bone. It is not any stronger or weaker.

- It requires a master necromancer to do.

ya... i like this..

good work hugo..

The writing is stellar as always, although the concept sounds unfavorable to LMs. While I am sure some (like myself) would accept it because the topic is harmless and beneficial if anything to roleplay. However, others may deny it because most things regarding necromancy are shot down out of the notion that there is already a good deal of potential and power with the magic and that it should not have more expansions tacked onto it. Secondly, I could see LMs denying this because it could potentially support 'special snowflake' characters, although I'd trust that said master necromancers would have the OOC guidance of will and morality to not deal with aforementioned snowflakes. That's about it, though. Nice writing and good luck. c:

If the limb is skeletal, wouldn't it be weaker than the lost limb? Considering it lacks any flesh and muscle to give it additional force and strength?

1 hour ago, Zarsies said:

The writing is stellar as always, although the concept sounds unfavorable to LMs. 

if that gets accepted and this doesn't i'm gonna raise a shitstorm

3 hours ago, Zarsies said:

The writing is stellar as always, although the concept sounds unfavorable to LMs. While I am sure some (like myself) would accept it because the topic is harmless and beneficial if anything to roleplay. However, others may deny it because most things regarding necromancy are shot down out of the notion that there is already a good deal of potential and power with the magic and that it should not have more expansions tacked onto it. Secondly, I could see LMs denying this because it could potentially support 'special snowflake' characters, although I'd trust that said master necromancers would have the OOC guidance of will and morality to not deal with aforementioned snowflakes. That's about it, though. Nice writing and good luck. c:

Thank you, Zar! I aim to make this just like runic limbs, in application; something limbless characters may resort to if needed. It offers no benefit other than having a new limb, and adds flavour to one's RP.

As for the special snowflake characters.... If LMs feel like that is a good reason to deny lore, I've no power to prevent it, though I would like to say that I doubt this will be used on 'snowflakes' or to create 'snowflakes'. Heck, it's either this or a runic arm, if the person really wants to get a new arm... And if a skeletal arm is 'snowflake'-y, so is a runic arm.

1 hour ago, Salvo said:

if that gets accepted and this doesn't i'm gonna raise a shitstorm

Heh, yeah we both wrote our respective lores around the same event, too. Guess who's char was the paladin mentioned in my lore? :)

2 hours ago, ArcanicFable said:

If the limb is skeletal, wouldn't it be weaker than the lost limb? Considering it lacks any flesh and muscle to give it additional force and strength?

It is weaker, as mentioned in the red lines. Dead bone is brittle and not as tough as living bone surrounded by muscle, fibres and tissue. As for the 'strength' (how much it can hold, etc), I felt like saying 'it isn't as strong' was a bit cliché, so I gave a next best alternative; the arm tires faster. In application, they both have a similar effect in that you can't reliably wield heavy weapons or carry heavy items with said limbs.

5 hours ago, Fordo said:

sexy beast 

sexy lore 

+1

3 hours ago, Guck said:

ya... i like this..

good work hugo..

;) Thanks

bofUVay.gif

Keep on writing awesome stuff like this! I support this lore entirely! 

+1

I mean it doesn't hurt anyone. Although the process for it is a bit iffy I'd say sure why not.

I will get my hand back you bastard ;)

8 hours ago, ShameJax said:

I mean it doesn't hurt anyone. Although the process for it is a bit iffy I'd say sure why not.

How is it iffy, if I may ask? I checked with Cameron (the ex-LM of the necros) and the magic part is fine.

40 minutes ago, Mephistophelian said:

How is it iffy, if I may ask? I checked with Cameron (the ex-LM of the necros) and the magic part is fine.

It just seems a bit weird as I believe nerves are a thing on LOTC. Also due to the fact that someone would need to be trained to use it. I also could see a lot more coming out of the connection process.

8 hours ago, ShameJax said:

It just seems a bit weird as I believe nerves are a thing on LOTC. Also due to the fact that someone would need to be trained to use it. I also could see a lot more coming out of the connection process.

Yeah, of course nerves are a thing on LotC. And yes, someone must be trained to use this. You lose an arm, you gotta pay the consequences. You aren't gonna regain one anytime soon, or quickly. And what do you mean by 'a lot more'?

Jax, I don't really get what you mean by 'iffy'. I ask you, and you just list random things without telling me what exactly you find 'iffy' about them. I appreciate that you are trying to offer constructive criticism, and I thank you, though we should take this to Skype ( ;) ;) ) so we don't clog up the topic any more, no?

I must note that Cameron, Slic3 and Geo are thanked for offering some discussion when I proposed this lore. Delmodan, too, for offering her character as the test subject ;)

Alright I will preface this by saying I do not mean to offend in the slightest when I criticize aspects of the lore, I am just trying to flesh things out (no pun intended).

First of all, the concept seems to be essentially a reskin (more unavoidable puns) of other magically attached replacement limbs. I don't know what you really mean by "tethering" the muscles, because if the limb is skeletal, it has no muscles on it. Perhaps you mean to muscles further up the limb? That would not be feasible as it is not the same muscles that run (for example), from the shoulder to the fingertips. The only way this would be feasible in terms of pairing with anatomy is if the limb was simply magically controlled in the regular manner but it is an organic replacement.

Now onto the strength. In no possible way would this be anywhere near as strong as a regular limb. Lets begin with the lack of muscles, tendons and fat. Those are huge cushions against force, which is desperately needed because bone is brittle. To expand on this: if it is dry bone it is incredibly brittle and prone to chipping. The arm would be easily shattered by the force of even a normal human. Moreover, it could be easily worn by most materials, even harsh leather surfaces. 

In summation, I think it is an interesting idea, but the execution is inconsistent and the practicality is low.