[✗] Druid Lore Amendment: Control of Weather

Wolf Druid Ouity

Why:

In the past, Druidic magic encompassed weather control- marginal for a skilled individual, and the ability to call forth large storms of varying degrees when in a large group. It has recently come to my attention that for reasons unknown, this canon has been lost to the server, and it is my wish to reintroduce it as "official," as it was for the majority of my time on the server.

Precedent:

It is established that Druidic communion extends beyond simply talking to plants. Blight healing, direct healing, and shapeshifting are all supernatural abilities that a Druid may possess that do not in any way involve communing with living things. Indeed, Blight Healing is the act of removing taint or even reviving dead plants, and direct healing involves altering one of the Races, something a Druid usually cannot do. It stands to reason, then, that any argument of "Well, it's not alive" could plausibly be debunked right off the bat in saying that this is not necessarily a condition of Druid magic. Moreso, "it is natural."

Purpose:

Rains cause life to flourish. It causes growth, fertility, and it is arguably necessary for all terrestrial life to flourish. Storms wipe clean. They purge, renew, and prepare the land for a new beginning. Even the fires caused by lightning sew the seeds of the new forest to grow. Weather control can be used in rites and ceremonies among the Druids, for often it requires a handful of them to bring about any significant change.

Can Any Druid Do This?

No. Wind doesn't follow them where they go, rain doesn't come at a beck. Only the most elite could hope to bend weather to their will alone, and it would be marginal, requiring great focus. It isn't a flavor emote.

Weakness:

Requires a great amount of time, energy, and focus to be invested into the process. It is extremely impractical for any form of combat whatsoever, save maybe a lightning bolt execution or something(?)

If a Druid attempted direct combat using the weather, he would find his gust of wind insufficient to do much more than ruffle his foe's hair. I stress that this is not designed in any way to affect combat. This magic is in 99% of cases simply a matter of creating RP whereby Druids can come together with a common purpose (to perform a complex task) and to bring aid to nations to bolster ties and relations with those who might need some form of weather or another.

But don't the Shamans control weather?:

Yes. Clerics also have direct healing. Druid weather control and Shaman weather control are different, just the same that Cleric healing and Druid healing are different. I could go on, but I won't. I know how you lore team folk love your niches.

Process:

1 Druid, high tier- can summon small weather disturbances here and there when given the opportunity. Rolling thunder, billowing wind. A breeze rolls through Malinor. The Druid is adept enough that his whole being is one with nature, and the elements themselves will sometimes herald his wroth.

2 Druids- Could summon lightning, I suppose, though only to be flashy. There is almost no combat application. Any direct combatant would have time to stab them both at his leisure before the clouds had even formed.

3 Druids- Light rain, given a couple days.

And onward, a gradual increase of power proportional to the number of Druids present. A significant event could not be created without the presence of 6 or more Druids. It would not become overtly dangerous (hurricane level event) without 10.

I am writing this with the express hope that the Lore Team will simply take it into the fold, understanding that this was an error in transcribing the proper powers of a Druid I don't know how long ago, and in understanding that I am rapidly growing tired of being asked to write out every detail of Druidism. A man can only take so much.

Swgrclan is not allowed to comment on this post

EDIT: In response to apparent... confusion, I have highlighted important points in the OP.

I'd like to think that something like this would require at least a large group of Druids, maybe all those who reside in the certain circle, to properly meditate/commune within the sacred Salmon pool to properly try and bring the weather down.

Even then, it should have a small range seeing as how you are fighting against the actual forces of nature and also not be that powerful. Maybe just a few drops of rain, like a small rainfall. For fire, well, that could get out of control quickly, and if you guys want to control it, it would require pretty much everyone to concentrate as hard as they can.

1 minute ago, KarmaDelta said:

I'd like to think that something like this would require at least a large group of Druids, maybe all those who reside in the certain circle, to properly meditate/commune within the sacred Salmon pool to properly try and bring the weather down.

This is definitely the case.

I'll firstly state that you cannot directly say someone is unable to post on your thread as they hold different opinions. Even if you have your differences be it personal or with the magic itself.

Secondly, no. Druidism shouldn't be able to control the weather as you currently have the two main aspects who bless you with communion to plants and animals and control between plants and the same animals. No aspect states giving the abilities to bless you with weather control reguardless of how long it takes for you to produce. I will say to leave this trait to the shaman's.

Druids do not need more magic abilities then they currently have even if this is mundane and hardly able to use in combat. No one wants the old shades to come back with 'everything' magic. Don't be the same as them with druids.

edit:

Give reasons why if such a feat would be done for the 'weather' to be considered under their blessing?

7 minutes ago, KarmaDelta said:

In an ideal world that's how it would work, but it's important when coming up with something like this to make sure that it's manageable. If it was a Circle-wide event, it would be seen perhaps once or twice in the next year, if that. Making it achievable for a group of 5-8 average Druids means that it sees more likelihood of being used.

5 minutes ago, ttwesten / Evark Evocress said:

I'll firstly state that you cannot directly say someone is unable to post on your thread as they hold different opinions. Even if you have your differences be it personal or with the magic itself.

Secondly, no. Druidism shouldn't be able to control the weather as you currently have the two main aspects who bless you with communion to plants and animals and control between plants and the same animals. No aspect states giving the abilities to bless you with weather control reguardless of how long it takes for you to produce. I will say to leave this trait to the shaman's.

Druids do not need more magic abilities then they currently have even if this is mundane and hardly able to use in combat. No one wants the old shades to come back with 'everything' magic. Don't be the same as them with druids.

Did you read my post orrrrrr?

I literally addressed every single point you just made. If you aren't going to read my **** then don't comment on it.

The swgrclan thing was a joke. He's my bud, and he can post wherever he wants.

3 minutes ago, Wolf Druid Ouity said:

In an ideal world that's how it would work, but it's important when coming up with something like this to make sure that it's manageable. If it was a Circle-wide event, it would be seen perhaps once or twice in the next year, if that. Making it achievable for a group of 5-8 average Druids means that it sees more likelihood of being used.

The thing is though, if done too much, would that not go against everything the Druids believe in?

Last time I checked, you guys want to try and be natural as hell, and in my mind, you guys would want to use this kind of idea sparingly as to not anger the Aspects.

I mean, you can do it as much as you want, but using all of the people within your Circle would make it more fun for everyone and could really show that the Druids are really not all that powerful as some believe, albeit some certain people going above and beyond with their root growing powers.

Ouity, your entire tone reeks of bitterness. If you want the LT to accept this, perhaps targeting them with criticism and petty words is not the way to go.

On the note of lore, Shamans have always controlled the weather and it is 'their thing'. If you expect to start controlling the weather, perhaps an explanation should be given other than "The Aspects Will it and Shazam". Shamans have spirits. What do you have?

Just now, KarmaDelta said:

The thing is though, if done too much, would that not go against everything the Druids believe in?

Last time I checked, you guys want to try and be natural as hell, and in my mind, you guys would want to use this kind of idea sparingly as to not anger the Aspects.

I don't remember saying that we would use it every morning, afternoon, and night. Half a dozen Druids is a rare thing to see together on most days. Them all banding together to perform one specific task is even rarer.

2 minutes ago, Wolf Druid Ouity said:

Did you read my post orrrrrr?

I literally addressed every single point you just made. If you aren't going to read my **** then don't comment on it.

I did read your lore. I also don't see where you addressed all the issues I stated.

Please quote them.

Just as an FYI Druids have in the past done this it's only recently come to my attention that this was something red lined in the lore so we are trying to remedy that.  

3 minutes ago, Mephistophelian said:

Ouity, your entire tone reeks of bitterness. If you want the LT to accept this, perhaps targeting them with criticism and petty words is not the way to go. And not allowing Swgr to comment simply means you fear what he has to say is a better point than you can rebuttal.

4 minutes ago, Wolf Druid Ouity said:

I am bitter. I'm glad that my tone expressed that.

"If you want to start controlling weather" implies that I have not already. This is not about acquiring a new power, this is about documenting an old power. Shamans have Spirits, we have Aspects. I fail to see why we would need more. Clerics have always healed and cleaned blight. It's "their thing" but Druids do both as well, in a way that is unique to them. This is no different.

Shades have also been able to body swap, do some serious soul-bending stuff, call down blight fire and more. Does this mean that this old lore will fit with the current lore of the server? No.

Let the shamans have their weather control. You guys control literally everything else, from plants to animals to even the ground.

19 minutes ago, Wolf Druid Ouity said:

12 minutes ago, ttwesten / Evark Evocress said:

Precedent:

It is established that Druidic communion extends beyond simply talking to plants. Blight healing, direct healing, and shapeshifting are all supernatural abilities that a Druid may possess that do not in any way involve communing with living things. Indeed, Blight Healing is the act of removing taint or even reviving dead plants, and direct healing involves altering one of the Races, something a Druid usually cannot do. It stands to reason, then, that any argument of "Well, it's not alive" could plausibly be debunked right off the bat in saying that this is not necessarily a condition of Druid magic. Moreso, "it is natural."

@Mephistophelian

That's hardly comparable. All of those things are extremely powerful combat subtypes. This is, at best, cultural. Shamans can summon a lightning strike in almost an instant. This is talking about a Druid fiesta to summon a rain storm. The methodology and process is totally different, and no, we don't control the ground.

And with that said, I don't see why those things WOULDN'T fit into the server lore. They all sound cool and unique, so what do I care?

19 minutes ago, Wolf Druid Ouity said:

I don't remember saying that we would use it every morning, afternoon, and night. Half a dozen Druids is a rare thing to see together on most days. Them all banding together to perform one specific task is even rarer.

I can understand that.

I mean, a minimum would be good to have, but more would make it easier on the people trying to summon the certain weather.

Maybe as you said, 5 to 8, but that would still put a strain on everyone.

More than that should help ease the burden in my opinion.

I just hope you can see that making it harder to actually do would kind of help the situation of getting this re documented since you can see some people up in arms.

Also, how mental are you guys in the thinking of how this works akin to Shamanism? Are you all that daft?

Shamans can either be nice to the Spiritz and get power that way, or literally force it from them and use it for their own ends. They can summon storms and lightning and use whatever type of element they want pretty much.

Here is a video of Jesus, who is a very known Shaman, using his powers:

Shamans could pretty much do the same thing on this server if they wanted to.

Now compare the druids. All Druids can do is pretty much make a forest grow, turn into an animal and have some kind of Furry session, blight heal, and normally heal, and that's pretty much it. They can grow a forest at whim without water too pretty much, since I did that myself in Aegis along with a few other Druids.

Druids barely controlling the weather is nothing to be worried about you fools. Unless they lose concentration that is, then wild fires everywhere or massive floods or droughts.