[✗] Arcane Engineering Spider Walker

BathRugMan

[!]A file would be submitted to the nearest patent office, one such page detailing the workings of the device.

hFUBTsq.jpg

((forgive my shitty drawing pleassir))

Essentially as the pic above describes. A spider walker powered by a combination of telekinetic enchantments and mana gems. A central mana gem supplies mana to enchantments on the top of the joint as well as the end of the second leg. Smaller mana gems will be placed on each leg. While the top joint travel up and down, the end enchant travels in and out. This allows the walker to 'squeeze' itself into the air as well as allow optimal movement in terms of joint flexibility. In case the enchantments bust, a roller (like a mouse roller) lies at the bottom, allowing it to move in multi directions. The spider walker can bend inwards so that the plates can form up into a lotus flower like shape.

The ball bearing at the bottom allows the spider walker to maintain some degree of balance as well as supplying a last ditch method as to not to topple over.

These enchantments would be woven with particular set phrases in mind, allowing the maker to code and sync up movements of the different limbs for optimal movement by activating specific enchantments with specific key phrases. In order to reduce interference, the user will wear a mask and use tubing to accurately determine voice commands.

Enchantments:

Telekinetic Enchantments are mainly used on only specific parts of each limb. These enchantments will be woven to have a specific phrase used to activate them and can be configured. In order to remove interference, a pipe would surround the enchantment and lead up to the speaker, allowing him to directly activate each of them.

Making one:

Making a spider walker is an extremely complex process and requires a high degree of engineering skill. One must first procure a big enough mana gem and produce the large steel bars used for the frame. Coding the telekinetic enchantments is a puzzle in it's own and cannot be done lightly, else the finished product be lop sided in it's movement and eventually collapse on it's own.

Most parts of the spider walk can be repaired by replacing each part. However, this process takes a long time and requires the spider walker to stop in it's tracks. 

[Important] One must need blueprints in order to build one or be trained to do so.

Use:

This essentially allows for movable siege platforms up rough terrain and can also be used for defence in warclaims.  

In rp, battery lasts for 1.5 hours on a single charge. Can move about 30 blocks/5minute in warclaims, however can move faster in roleplay.

Pros:

Can float in water when undergoing the lotus formation.

Vehicle for rough terrain, yay!

Can be repaired.

Cons:

Pretty slow compared to conventional movement.

Very expensive to make, look at the size of that mana gem! Hence few would be able to exist in the world.

Enchantments can be interfered with if someone has access to the correct phrases.

There are patent offices in Vailor? Tell me where, so I can submit my plans for a magical android.

I honestly can't figure out if this is something I like, or dislike. I've been thinking about it for awhile, and I'm entirely mixed. So... Maybe, I guess?

I actually really like this idea.

Will we also have cellphones if we say they are arcane

Thought this sounded familiar...

giphy.gif

Wild Wild West, wonderful movie, should watch it if you haven't.

4 minutes ago, Man of respect said:

Will we also have cellphones if we say they are arcane

tbh mobile phones have worse coverage than our messenger birds do

@BathRugMan It's a really cool design (love the drawing) but I don't think it really fits into LOTC unless it was severely temperamental. However, we have seen stranger things; if anything, something more akin to a golem that carries people would work better, in my own opinion.

If anything, using telekinesis for this over straight steam power or something akin to that makes it harder; telekinesis cannot lift living beings, after all, because their shape, centre of gravity and momentum are infinitely changing. Having a living person on top of a device like this only makes the process more complicated. As such, I think telekinesis is unfit for such a device but I am no expert in it.

Overall, I do like the design but I think it needs some changes. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Freya  said:

tbh mobile phones have worse coverage than our messenger birds do

@BathRugMan It's a really cool design (love the drawing) but I don't think it really fits into LOTC unless it was severely temperamental. However, we have seen stranger things; if anything, something more akin to a golem that carries people would work better, in my own opinion.

If anything, using telekinesis for this over straight steam power or something akin to that makes it harder; telekinesis cannot lift living beings, after all, because their shape, centre of gravity and momentum are infinitely changing. Having a living person on top of a device like this only makes the process more complicated. As such, I think telekinesis is unfit for such a device but I am no expert in it.

Overall, I do like the design but I think it needs some changes. Good luck!

There's nothing wrong with the way this works. Telekinesis cannot efficiently directly affect living things but there are certain work arounds such as grabbing their clothing. Anyway, these enchantments would only be concerned with moving the limbs, so it doesn't matter if a person is there.

That said, I do like the idea and I don't see much wrong with how it is described to function. The real question we should ask ourselves is: "Is this right for the server to have?"

I'd say things like this don't belong in the Lotc universe. 

It's a bit much, yeah. It's admittedly strange coming from myself (whose character, alongside Kalameet, 'pioneered' the idea of 'arcane engineering') but all my past RP endeavors into the science have stayed away from the mechanical and autonomous, like this appears to be. And, oh--

Janos Ith'ael would note this design could be heavily improved by replacing the 'central' mana gem with material transfigured to function like an Obelisk and threading the enchantments and their mana gems to feed off of the Obelisk collaterally. 

I will say what I said about the wood elven car..
no steampunk plz

Good god.. How far we have fallen to even consider such a painfully futuristic machine. Please don't. 

Dwarves have cannons and steam boats though. And games like Skyrim do have concepts of arcane engineering in them