2. The Parts

3. Steam Heart

4. Concept of Dualism

5. The Golem's oddities

6. Development

7. Summary

8. Final Notes

1. The Golem, in short

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/10/43/56/104356e350ee14986879ff0f9b83d6e3.jpg

Much alike it’s purely magical brethren of stone, the steam golem is a lumbering construction with a few twists and a corporeal appearance of different materials. Instead of being molded alike a regular golem, the steam golem is forged and constructed part by part, be it of steel or other materials. Whilst this constructed body may give him a few advantages, it also brings certain difficulties and challenges along.

2. The parts

In rough terms, the golem’s body consists of three major “parts”. The first being, naturally its body. Followed by the Steam Heart and the Golem Core itself.

Its body again is made up by three essential parts, the first being its mechanical structure, the second the steam circulation system and the third its (optional, but recommended) armor layer.

The mechanical structure is a complex assortment and assembly of supporting framework and moving parts, joints and flexible points. Resembling the human skeleton, it alone allows the body to stand upright at least if inactive or unused. Its material is preferably made of strong and resistant metals and alloys in order to avoid breaking under pressure or shock.

The steam circulation system in conjunction with the above mentioned Steam Heart gives the body its driving power to make it able to move, act and whatever is required of it. Embedded within the mechanical structure, protected by it, the isolated and highly complex arrangement of pipes and tubes contain the steam which is being produced by the Steam Heart and pumped through the body by the numerous steam vents at the Heart and at critical points along the circulation system itself. These vents, tubes, pipes and all belonging parts are made of a non-rusting alloys. It has to be noted though, whilst they may withstand the pressure of the steam and forced movement which comes along with it, shock, such as being struck with something blunt, sharp or pointy may easily rupture its pressured material, and perhaps even render a whole part of the body useless further down the circulation system. That is why the third part, the armor layer, is recommended.

The armor layer is the most simple part of it all. It’s a series of armor plates all over the body to protect its essential parts, varying in thickness and mostly made of steel or similar hard alloys. Here comes into play, how powerful the driving force of its Steam Heart is, how heavy the armor plates are and how much mobility or protection are preferred for the body of the golem. The armor is clasped, bolted or forged onto the mechanical structure, still allowing enough room for the joints to move, but also covering most of its body for protection. Joints are a weaker point, as with any armor. To note, depending on how the armor is fixed onto the body’s “skeleton”, it may be easier to replace, but also easier to break off (clasped, being the easiest, obviously, forged being the most difficult, in terms of damage it may require the replacement of the whole limb or body part where the armor is broken if replacement is intended).

It must be noted that the chest of the Steam Golem holds a specially clasped round iron plate which, once removed with the according tools, gives access to the interior of the golem’s body, Steam Heart and Golem Core alike.

3. Steam Heart, the driving power

http://derbyimages.woot.com/2104448/f7538196-f9e7-4a6f-b370-95ddde54e02c.jpg

The Steam Heart is an extraordinary complex piece of engineering and took decades to reach its current state. It comes in three functional variants, Variant III, IV and V, the newest of them being the most difficult, but also most powerful to make.

At its core, the Steam Heart is nothing but a smaller sized steam engine. Whilst big ones are capable of powering and driving ships, this small one is merely capable of powering and moving the golem’s body at an adequate level.

A tightly isolated structure with multiple chambers with multiple functions in order to generate the steam pressure that is necessary. A burning chamber to heat the water, a heating chamber, where the water is heated, a water tank placed a bit aside to maintain a limited supply of water. Along with that are a multitude of exhaust pipes connected to the body in various places with various functions.

First and foremost, the intake pipes for water, connected with the water tank, its opening located up at the mouth area of the body’s head. Along with it, a pipe that connects directly with the burning chamber at the heart, coming from the same place, in order to maintain its inner fire, so to speak. To avoid misplacement of fuel or water, the two pipes’ openings are separated with a metal plate inside the golem’s head, giving it two mouth cavities.

From the burning chamber two further pipes lead out. One towards to the neck for exhaust of fumes and a second one towards its back, lower half, in a straight line downwards, allowing ashes and debris of the fire falling out, sometimes leaving a trail of ash. At the same time, fresh air can flow past the material, giving the fire new air to breathe and continue burning. These two pipes are usually open at all times, the one at the neck being at least with a small sheet of metal to make it rainproof.

The water tank is connected with a vent to the heating chamber, where the water gets turned into steam to very high pressures. From it, there are a multitude of pipes and vents controlling its flow through the body with addition of a single pipe directed from the chamber to the neck of the golem (backside). This pipe functions as an emergency release, and will vent all existing pressure in the Steam Heart to the outside (very furiously at that).

4. Concept of Dualism

All by itself the golem is nothing but a steam engine inside an artificial body. The true power that makes a golem a golem is its core. Whilst the golem core has no requirement to control any limbs directly, it very well has to control and maintain the flow of steam. All vents are required to be provided with motor runes, giving the core control of the flow and therefore over the body. The only other parts which are visible to the outsider are at most the mouth, the acoustic runes for speaking and the rudimentary hands (two or three fingers with opposing thumb), which are constructed of metal, yes, but due to the rather small size and weight, should not pose an issue for control.

The Golem Core is embedded underneath the Steam Heart in a carefully crafted basin, protecting it and placing it properly inside its technically hollow body.

Putting it simply, that means: The Golem’s body is moved with varying pressure levels of steam throughout its circulatory system, originating from the Steam Heart. The flow of steam is controlled through vents all over the Steam Heart and along the circulatory system. These vents are controlled by the Golem Core through the utilization of motor runes. The Heart gives the Power, the Core gives control. That is the concept of Dualism.

5. The Golem’s oddities

Being a constructed being, all of the golem’s parts (except for the core) can be mechanically replaced. A distinct advantage should there ever be need of repair. As opposed to its magical brethren the Steam Golem has a few shortcomings.

The environment plays a distinct role in the Golem’s efficiency. Whilst moisture usually plays little role, temperature does. The colder it is, the more fuel the Golem has to consume in order to maintain its inner fire and keep the steam hot and the pressure within high. On the other hand, in warmer climates, deep lava caverns, deserts or similar, the golem requires far less fuel.

Mentioning fuel, the golem must, like most living beings, “eat and drink”. Utilizing its intake pipes, it has to drink water to fill up the water supply tank above its Steam Heart and eat fuel (crushed wood or coal chunks) to maintain the flame underneath the heating chamber, inside the Steam Heart.

Going along with the various pipes and openings to the outside, it’s essential that the golem NEVER walks deeper into water than hip height, to avoid having water entering its burning chamber, which immediately douses the fire and could cause the steam flow to die down, as the remaining pressure gets vented through its system and begins to liquify. A Steam Golem never has a wholly isolated body due to reasons of internal overheating. Whilst the golem may still talk, move its palms, it is rendered immobile due to the lack of power. Concept of Dualism.

Whilst magical golems may be powerful, Steam Golems, as long as they maintain their pressure, are not inferior. The difference is, that the Steam Golem’s physical power comes mechanically, not magically.

6. Development

Every story has a start, so it had for the development of the Steam Golem and respectively the Steam Heart. This story began back on Anthos, when Heinrik Carrion called Silus Iullius Horen to Kralta, presenting him with a captured rogue golem, which at that point was inactive. Ordering him to construct a golem for the Empire, Silus was tasked with something which soon became his life’s work. Studying the golem’s body thoroughly, carefully, observing it fall apart in its inactive state upon merely touching it, the first decision was immediately made. It had to be a body constructed of metal. Aware at that point that there were no massive golems made of any metal due to weight restrictions, Silus desperately journeyed the dwarven realms in order to find a solution to find one right in front of his eyes when he was at one of the shipyards, seeing the massive and powerful steam ships.

What followed were years of experimentation and preparation. Putting aside the golem’s body for first, Silus began to experiment with the heating of water, building a steam engine by himself, first under New Ager and then underneath Shadowcastle, undisturbed and underground. Placing it inside a reinforced basin for the case something should happen, this thundering monstrosity soon proved to be a viable solution for the issue of physical power, once downsized adequately. Even his profession as a locksmith fell short, as Silus spent countless nights and days inside his laboratory, tinkering away at a small scale version of the engine. Improving his skill as time went by, a decade later the Steam Heart Variant III, the first functional one of its kind was born. Overcoming the isolation issue of Variant I and pressure problem of Variant II, Variant III sat on the table in front of Silus, clicking, hissing and emitting its heat from the burning chamber.

For the next few years it was to return to the drawing board, working diligently on the project, even as Heinrik Carrion has passed on, not for any ruler, but for himself, a project for lifetime. The body could not be massive, due to weight, and obviously due to the placement of the Steam Heart. Silus was certain that the elements of power and control could not be placed on the same entity. A golem, regardless of how it was made, was still a golem and it required a golem core. Whilst unable to obtain a golem core for himself, he was well aware of their assembly and properties, having observed and studied a multitude of their kin. To place the golem core safely in the body, he forged a basin to place the core into, with all required free spaces for runes in place, only to realize that with the basin and the Steam Heart, he had to build the body around them.

Not being able to help it, Silus began design and construction, which would take him another five years, his hair beginning to grey as he neared his fifties. Then it was time. It was a winter evening and the first, yet lifeless, Steam Golem stood in front of him. Archon his name.

7q0ldQh.png

In the coming years, Silus continued to work on his invention, improving the Steam Heart, building it out of more durable materials, non-rusting, giving birth to Steam Heart Variant IV. This would only be followed by optimized functionality in the mechanical parts as he reached the limit of how far he could go with it, creating the final, Variant V. Not only did he spend his time refining the steam heart, he also proceeded to build two more bodies, to await a golemancer to do his bidding. Diadoch and Triarch followed after. Whilst Diadoch was identical to Archon, Triarch was built of the best Silus could get. Steam Heart Variant V, the best non-rusting materials throughout its circulation system, carefully crafted vents and joints, sturdy high grade steel for its mechanical structure and skeleton and the armor itself.

Vzi5KUM.png

For Silus the work was complete now and it was up to those who had the power of creating golems to utilize his knowledge. In his first presumed death, he gave Archon, the first, to the Empire of Oren, Diadoch, the second, to his friend Dared Starbreaker and Triarch, the third, to the Mali’aheral.

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/111770-the-clockwerk-dragons-remains/

Along with it, the schematica how to build a Steam Heart was brought to all libraries across the land at that time, making it available to everyone to build it, considering they are skilled enough and have the tools.

7. Summary

Quick summary what a Steam Golem is about:

- Golem with a constructed body of metal and various alloys (a skeletal body, a circulation system for the steam, armor plating (technically optional, but advised))

- Body is NOT solid inside (in terms of massive material)

- Has two "cores" with a responsibility each, the Steam Heart to produce the pressure and "power" for the body, the Golem Core to control the flow of steam, speak and control the hands (not arms, that is steampowered)

- Has to eat solid fuels and drink water on a regular basis to maintain functionality

- Damaged parts and limbs can be replaced accordingly (except for the Golem core, which is unique in its way)

- Influenced by weather and enviroment, cold is bad, slowing him, requiring him to consume more fuel and water, hot is good, lowering his required resources

- Do not submerge into water, hipheight is maximum, to avoid getting water into its internal systems and Steam Heart

- In respect to the above, if either "core" fails, gets damaged, or else, the golem is immobilized (depending on type of damage, of course)

- Growing size puts more strain on the Steam Heart, making it less efficient (exponential dropoff in relation of power to efficiency)

8. Final Notes

In before people proceed and dismiss it as not fitting, I’d prefer to have it properly read and considered. When I came up with this lore and RPly invented all of this, I took my time and studied existing golem lore. I aimed for the grey area in golemancy, whilst going a good way to adhere to it. What I want is more depth and diversity in golemancy and Lord of the Craft as a whole and for people to try something new ;)  The last lore application was rather imprecise and hasty, thus I hope this is much clearer than the previous one. For questions, you may of course go ahead and ask.

Just now, Tahmas said:

I dunno man, I'm scared of Global Warming in the real world, let alone my mine man adventure.

In reality, though, I don't support this. It's a great concept, I love the idea but I'm personally opposed. I like the rarity of Golems, the fact that you have to learn the art from one teacher to a student in a cycle. As someone said in one of the chats I'm in, 'Golems should be cherished and seen as unique', and I feel like adding more and more different ways for people to make more Golems is going to detract from that. Golemancy is already diverse, and people who possess the knowledge to create them are constantly finding new ways to make them, you'll rarely find two Golems of replicated design or personality. 

As said though, I do like it and think it's interesting, but I personally cannot get behind it. Best of luck, though. 

Thanks for the note, I'd add though, that I do not really see the rarity of golems being changed majorly, due to the fact that you still require golemancy to make a Steam golem an actual golem. Otherwise it's just a metal husk with a steam engine inside. No particular function in that.

Just now, Tahmas said:

I dunno man, I'm scared of Global Warming in the real world, let alone my mine man adventure.

In reality, though, I don't support this. It's a great concept, I love the idea but I'm personally opposed. I like the rarity of Golems, the fact that you have to learn the art from one teacher to a student in a cycle. As someone said in one of the chats I'm in, 'Golems should be cherished and seen as unique', and I feel like adding more and more different ways for people to make more Golems is going to detract from that. Golemancy is already diverse, and people who possess the knowledge to create them are constantly finding new ways to make them, you'll rarely find two Golems of replicated design or personality. 

As said though, I do like it and think it's interesting, but I personally cannot get behind it. Best of luck, though. 

I believe it stated somewhere inside of there you needed all the runes, and all that good stuff so you would still need a golemancer, not 100% sure though.

I think the biggest difference is the nature of the golem. There is a limit to how big a golem can be, and in the case of the Steam Golem I'd dare say there is a limit to how big and powerful they can be. After all, their weight with armor plating, the complexity of its inner parts and so on grows with bigger size. The Steam Heart has to be made bigger and more powerful so to say. So, well, making it bigger makes it exponentially more inefficient due to complexity and at some point the golem core itself surely is not able to control the flow of steam properly. A steamship uses its generated physical power (stored in the steam) to create let us say, one particular motion. A Steam Golem is far more complex.

EDIT: Also see Brawn golems.

EDIT2: In reference to that, assuming you make one which is quite big (9 feet or so), to run it would have to eat an entire tree or two a day to maintain its pressure, let alone having movement, etc. And it would be slow of course.

I think these golems need to be briefly summarised in a separate section (perhaps named 'Summary'), so their pros, cons, specialities, unique traits (such as having to eat&drink) and their differences to normal golems can be concisely noted.

Also, I'm assuming these golems only run off Soul Cores, not Thanhic ones, correct? If so, perhaps mention that in the 'Summary' part, too.

In all honesty, I can't support this.

The concept is incredible. Love it. But this is a Medieval themed server. The steampunk concept put with the steam engine and metal build just won't do in my opinion, Even though it's one heck of an idea.

(Also, Am almost sure that this sort of lore submission is to be put here. Not sure, though.)

Just now, SuperDuckyGamer said:

The concept is incredible. Love it. But this is a Medieval themed server. The steampunk concept put with the steam engine and metal build just won't do in my opinion, Even though it's one heck of an idea.

(Also, Am almost sure that this sort of lore submission is to be put here. Not sure, though.)

With all the magical beings and things we have, I do not necessarily agree. Besides, steam golems appear in many fantasy settings. Hence my proposal here.

Just now, Mephistophelian said:

I think these golems need to be briefly summarised in a separate section (perhaps named 'Summary'), so their pros, cons, specialities, unique traits (such as having to eat&drink) and their differences to normal golems can be concisely noted.

Also, I'm assuming these golems only run off Soul Cores, not Thanhic ones, correct? If so, perhaps mention that in the 'Summary' part, too.

Can do that.

Regarding the cores, it makes little difference if Soul or Thanhic Core in this case, no? For the latter, if it has to draw heat to convert into mana, there is plenty enough still being emitted from the Steam Heart.

27 minutes ago, Godwein Stafyr (Z3r05t4r) said:

With all the magical beings and things we have, I do not necessarily agree. Besides, steam golems appear in many fantasy settings. Hence my proposal here.

Can do that.

Regarding the cores, it makes little difference if Soul or Thanhic Core in this case, no? For the latter, if it has to draw heat to convert into mana, there is plenty enough still being emitted from the Steam Heart.

No, thanhium converts heat too quickly. It would likely condense the steam and make the metal too brittle. You have to bear in mind that thanhium will convert any amount of nearby heat into mana. If there is too much nearby heat, it then explodes. So you can't ever truly make something reliably hot whilst it is near to thanhium, as the thanhium will either convert that heat or become too hot and explode. Thusly, I think steam golems should only be soul cores.

Also, how does the golem move if golem runes cannot be placed on metal and if metal interferes with golem runes? In other words, how does the golem control the valves with motor runes if runes do not work with metal (as per the lore)?

Adding on to that, how does the golem see, feel and speak?

Just now, Mephistophelian said:

No, thanhium converts heat too quickly. It would likely condense the steam and make the metal too brittle. You have to bear in mind that thanhium will convert any amount of nearby heat into mana. If there is too much nearby heat, it then explodes. So you can't ever truly make something reliably hot whilst it is near to thanhium, as the thanhium will either convert that heat or become too hot and explode.

Also, how does the golem move if golem runes cannot be placed on metal and if metal interferes with golem runes? In other words, how does the golem control the valves with motor runes if runes do not work with metal (as per the lore)?

Alright, I assume that answers the point about the cores.

For the latter part, technically any material could be utilized for the runes. In terms of metal interfering, that is as far as I can tell for the whole body, not for the smaller motor runes controlling the vents. But putting that aside, what prohibits the one who assembles the golem to embed crystalline or stone plates into the mechanisms, where the runes may be placed instead? After all, it could be made of wood too.

As a counter question, what about magical metals and alloys?

27 minutes ago, Godwein Stafyr (Z3r05t4r) said:

Alright, I assume that answers the point about the cores.

For the latter part, technically any material could be utilized for the runes. In terms of metal interfering, that is as far as I can tell for the whole body, not for the smaller motor runes controlling the vents. But putting that aside, what prohibits the one who assembles the golem to embed crystalline or stone plates into the mechanisms, where the runes may be placed instead? After all, it could be made of wood too.

As a counter question, what about magical metals and alloys?

The lore (below) states any metal will not work (this includes magical metals and metal alloys). This refers to any metal on or compromising the structure of the golem. This is why no meta-imbedded or armoured golems exist, and why you rarely (if ever) see them wielding metallic weapons.

While in theory any material could be used to create a golem, there are limitations. Any metal seems to cause problems for the runes or enchantments, and the golem will either not animate at all or the core will shatter. Obsidian is too heavy for the golem enchantments or runes to move.

2 hours ago, SuperDuckyGamer said:

You are out of the loop it seems.. The dwarfs have had steam engine powered ships for 2 years now.

1 hour ago, Mephistophelian said:

The lore (below) states any metal will not work (this includes magical metals and metal alloys). This refers to any metal on or compromising the structure of the golem. This is why no meta-imbedded or armoured golems exist, and why you rarely (if ever) see them wielding metallic weapons.

While in theory any material could be used to create a golem, there are limitations. Any metal seems to cause problems for the runes or enchantments, and the golem will either not animate at all or the core will shatter. Obsidian is too heavy for the golem enchantments or runes to move.

On the requirement that the surface upon which the runes are located is metallic. Which could be worked around without problem. I see what you are getting at, I am open to suggestions from the LT if they are willing to cooperate.

I think we should maybe take baby steps first if you plan to go in this direction... Maybe pistols or stuff like that before... a steam golem?