Youngie5500

LoTC Imprisonment System Proposal [POLL]

Do you want a more extensive and punitive imprisonment system on LoTC?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a more extensive and punitive imprisonment system on LoTC?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not this severe

Big thank you to @_Jandy_ for proposing this idea in the first place!

This is a simple poll to gauge community interest in a more extensive, punitive imprisonment system on LoTC.

This is only to gauge interest. The prison times and rules are still up for debate and no way set in stone. If you feel the server needs a more extensive, punitive system, vote yes. If you are happy with the way things are now, vote no.

While the intent of the rules are clear and encourage captors to roleplay with their captives, as well as make sure a player is not locked away or forgotten about, it does not really punish characters or encourage players to partake in the experience, it offers no character development and only serves as a minor inconvenience OOCly. If done well, a proper imprisonment system would help serve the common narrative on LoTC, discourage thoughtless villainy and assist in character development. For a much longer and detailed explanation. I suggest reading Jandy’s thread.

In short: This is a proposed system to encourage player development, deter senseless villainy and help shake off the impression that LoTC is a consequence-free slice-of-life server:

• There are three types of jails.
    • Nation sanctioned jails
    • Personal/guild sanctioned jails.
    • Non-sanctioned jails.

• A nation sanctioned jail, may hold people for up to 4 days.
  • A personal/guild sanctioned jail may hold people for up to 2 days.
  • A non-sanctioned jail may hold a person up to 3 hours.

• A prison must consist of:
    • Individual cells, which the prisoner will be /cmodify added to.
    • A common area for inter-prisoner and guard roleplay.
    • A successful liberation- raid, led with the intent to free a prisoner.
      • Will not require the raiders to unlock doors to the prison. A GM will unlock doors, leading to their cell.

• A prison will be sanctioned by a GM, upon inspection of the prison. They will take into account.
    • Amount of roleplay available.
    • Quality of roleplay available.
    • Build quality of the jail.

• If prisoners are unhappy about their duration in a jail, they may modreq; and it will be to the GMs discretion whether to release the prisoner and possibly remove sanctioned status.

• Prisoners will be locked inside a specific jail region, be it sanctioned, and must modreq if they want to attempt an escape.

I encourage you all to share your thoughts below and engage in healthy discussion, bring up prison times or anything you fancy. If this poll is received well, a future poll will be made before we decide on prison times and flesh out the system in its entirety.

Edit -----

These are the current rules if anyone needed a reminder:

§3.17 A player may only be held against their will for up to 3 hours of roleplay.

§3.18 A noble or leader, can be held up to 5 hours of roleplay.

§3.19 You can not be held captive for over 15 minutes without sufficient roleplay.

If you want my opinion on this, sounds fun in context, reality would cause people to bawl and alt to avoid jail-time and screw around while their main gets out Scott free without spending an hour in a cell.

That’s just my look on it, unless it’s properly enforced then It’s not going to work, but who am I to know. I’m reading fourms half drunk at 3:15 am, go me.

Don’t get me wrong though, i’d like to see some actual hard time and punishment and actual prison break role-play or something similar to bandits liberating one of their friends in an organized raid, personally i’m just one person’s opinion that only has so much weight, but I digress. Youngie It sounds nice the way you put it,

but unfortunately it’s only up for the community’s choice for what they really’ want.

-Thorvn

The poor man known as Arhbi suffered at the hands of the snow-elves..

This proposed system for prison roleplay is flawed for multiple reasons.

1. Despite your inspection of how much roleplay there will be a majority of roleplay scenarios will end up with the prisoner only being roleplayed with once per 15 minutes, purely to evoke annoyance from the victim.
  2. More likely than not people will just jump onto an alt account to avoid having to deal with ****-tier roleplay for a period of up to 4 days.
    1. A period of 4 days feels more like an OOC punishment more than it does an IC punishment. 
  3. You claim that it will discourage pointless villainy roleplay but I can guarantee you the offenders will just jump onto an alternate character and continue harassing people.

If you really want to ”shake off the impression that LoTC is a consequence-free slice-of-life server” maybe the team should get rid of this god awful monk system which contributes to awful and meme tier roleplay, or at least make an amendment so that repeat offenders surrender permanent kill perms to their victims. 

11 minutes ago, Arhbi said:

This proposed system for prison roleplay is flawed for multiple reasons....

While I agree with many of these points, especially the last one *cough cough*. It would be easy to make an amendment, stating that no villainous actions are allowed, so long as one of your characters are jailed. As for the 15 minute RP only there to jab at your captive OOCly, if it’s blatant, that could be grounds for sanction-status removal. Some of the most fulfilling, character developing, roleplay I have had, granted not on this server, has been captive roleplay. While this system is proposed in part to offer some real consequence on the server, it is also proposed to offer some dynamic and different roleplay.

Don’t like a bunch of different forms of prisons. Just increases burden on GMs and will lead to endless ooc arguments when people argue over what kind of prison is what. Just let everyone be held for 4 days. 

52 minutes ago, Narthok said:

Don’t like a bunch of different forms of prisons. Just increases burden on GMs and will lead to endless ooc arguments when people argue over what kind of prison is what. Just let everyone be held for 4 days. 

If random bandit guilds could legally hold people captive for 4 days without having to prove they can do decent RP, there might be a need for different classifications.

I am alright, at least, with the idea behind these. Since, it seems weird how law codes on this server go straight from 2 hour imprisonments to execution in no time. And, while people may use alts to avoid jail time, at least their other character is inoperable for the time being.

4 hours ago, Youngie5500 said:

Build quality of the jail.

I hardcore play the game Prison Architect. Aint none of you escaping my shiz.

I do like this idea, of imprisonment times. Though it should be added that a raid can only happen if someone on the outside knows icly of their imprisonment like in the current rules. 

I see nothing wrong with using an alt character while one is in prison. If the captures want to RP something legitly they can ask me to hop on. Then again, I’d likely consent to indefinite imprisonment on a character. 

Yeah, because nothing helps character development like the potential of essentially facing an in game, player enforced ban by having your character imprisoned for 2-4 days IRL. Heaven forbid someone OOCly targets you and repeatedly jails your character, or goes and imprisons both of your characters.

Completely and I mean, foot not trodden soil, new here – but perhaps as there are faction cities and such there could be a faction/sect of the monks system (again im super new so might be missing the mark here) where there is a central penal colony, and instead of time, the prisoners must mine/work for a prison currency that they then purchase their freedom with, repeat offenders or certain crimes are charged with X amount of cost gradually going up if re-offending. 

That way its centralised so all prisoners can RP together, they can do some sort of task or work together to get out of jail, and there can be organised raids and events for prisoners,

Similarly each nation/city that makes use of the central prison can then post a guard to interact with the prisoners, as part of their guard RP or volunteer systems etc or as a way for players to earn out of jail money. Requirements being such as having never been imprisoned themselves (to avoid conflicts of interest.) 

It ticks all the boxes as far as I can see, could be implemented in the new map effectively. Can be themed around whatever nation hosts it (and for example if it IS one nations responsibility to build and host, it could be cheaper for them to buy said nation ((I saw briefly some sort of bidding system when I read a little about ver.7 so perhaps I misunderstood this))

With regards to prisons in general I feel they are a brilliant platform for RP when done properly, however they are often left understaffed. I spent a good amount of time on various other servers running a private jail, providing RP for the inmates, and work for them to do (farms and such for me to profit and feed them from) and it solved the issue perfectly, think of a really tight security tavern. 

I think the idea of doing a crime, and putting the character on hold without having to serve the time is ridiculously lenient, it's like giving an ankle bracelet to a family member when your on house arrest. All good RP is risk vs reward, without the risk? where is the challenge or enjoyment? Punishment is integral to society and should not be so easy to circumvent. 

7 minutes ago, Lsuvsfar said:

Yeah, because nothing helps character development like the potential of essentially facing an in game, player enforced ban by having your character imprisoned for 2-4 days IRL. Heaven forbid someone OOCly targets you and repeatedly jails your character, or goes and imprisons both of your characters.

Then they would most likely lose sanctioned status and only be able to imprison players for a short time.

I think I may have a slight better decision for as to how we could go about larger jail times. If any LARGE freebuild, vassal, or nation has a criminal they wish to jail for up to 4 IRL days, they must BRING the character to a court, or some sort of officially meeting, in order to decide to jail that character. While I know this may not make sense for orc and dwarf roleplayers, as I doubt court is a major part of their RP, I believe for humans and elves it could be pretty interesting. Court RP is some of the best roleplay in my opinion, and by forcing people to go through a trial, it’d help create interesting RP for both the side of justice and the criminal. 

By forcing people to go through a trial, or some sort of official meeting, it stops players from just OOC harassing certain people, and jailing people randomly in order to **** them into a 4 IRL day sentence.

As a man whom spent 2 IRL weeks in jail, jail RP can be pretty 10/10, so even if this suggestion isn't even looked at the penalties for jailtime should still go up. 

JUST AN IDEA, NO IDEA HOW THIS’D WORK ON THE SERVER OR HOW IT’D BE REGULATED