Whitelist App Reform [Your View]

TarreBear

The issue is this:

1. The old format deterred lazy people, but allowed anyone with half a brain to fill it out and get approved.
  1. The new format is longer; it will only deter more people, while there is zero re-assurance it’ll increase difficulty.

I think some more practical changes can benefit the whitelist system more.

- If you remove the unnecessary bloat on questions but increase approval standards, it’ll deter less people while increase quality.

I think, and I can’t support this claim, that if someone makes an app, they are likely to return and correct it. Whereas if they are deterred by the length / effort, they won’t return.

Also, add a bloody link to the LOTC PMC skin depository into the “link your skin” section.

I like this a lot, especially the scenario responses thing. 

Something I would suggest adding is for a player to give a description of the world LOTC is set in. I used to look at new player apps in my free time, and from time to time some people would get the completely wrong idea and think LOTC is set in modern day new york or some **** like that. 

Even if it has them explain the descendant races, the genre of LOTC, etc, I feel like this would help out a lot ?

dont particularly feel the need to make the application process more complicated, but alright.

Edited by KeatonUnbeaten

1 hour ago, TarreBear said:

Define Power-gaming in your own words:

Please refer to the wiki for our definition of Power-gaming. Then write it in your own words.

Create an example of a Power-gaming scenario:

To show that you have an adequate understanding of our definition of Power-gaming, please create a mock-scenario of Power-gaming happening.

My only suggestion is you keep one of these or the other. Preferably the latter because it demonstrates understanding, but these questions ask basically the same thing and having both is just unnecessary work

Edited by xxx

This reminds me of the app I had to make in the beginning of Axios. I like it much better.

This reminds me of the old applications. I think it’s a step in the right direction and it tasks applicants with showing some of their role-playing skills. As I for one know that beginner role-players are welcome to the server, however it’s good practice for the real deal. I remember when I first created my application, it got denied quite a few times (I think 4 to be exact.) this helped strengthen my ability to write and ultimately made me into a better role-player. I think this new reform to the application process will strengthen LOTC as a community and a natural selection will occur. This helps weed out those who aren’t dedicated to the craft of stepping into someone else’s shoes and becoming somebody else for a while. 

An addition I propose is an brief explanantion of the culture and history of the race you wish to play. Too many people are roleplaying races they obviously have zero idea in. 

3 hours ago, TarreBear said:

Your Age:

Your real-life age. You must be at least thirteen (13) to play on LotC.

smart kids will just say they’re 14 or 18 and no one can do anything about that 

ehAaIiv.jpg

I think personally that the scenarios are pointless. People in LotC never in any occasion have roleplayed what they had written on their applications after they get along with the server for one or two months; in fact, they completely forget what they’ve written on their application or set it aside, because all that information will be so incredibly useless since their character will have developed a lot with all the time they’ve been playing on the server. It isn’t a way to measure the roleplay skill, and it’ll only make it more annoying, longer and boring to write.

Truth is, all information that is on an application eventually becomes irrelevant because it doesn’t fits their character any longer. No veteran on the server has ever kept what they’ve written on their application and still applies it to this day (unless it’s something like “my character is blind”)

24 minutes ago, Man of Respect said:

and it’ll only make it more annoying, longer and boring to write

It is a means by which to try and help the applicant develop a basic idea for how their character might react to the listed situation. It also helps the Community Staff Member who is reviewing the app garner additional understanding of the applicant’s ability for character creation and roleplay. It doesn’t matter if their attitude towards one of the situations later changes, and in fact it doesn’t even matter if they never play the character again after starting. Applications are a way to gauge someone’s ability to be successful, or to have the ability to become successful, in our community.

This just makes it more annoying to fill out and I don’t see any issue with the current quality of RP from new players, so nah no thanks. 

4 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

The new application format reminds me of the original whitelist applications during Aegis.

Nah they only switched to that in like September. They had a really easy one before release in like May(which I cba finding, it was literally 5 lines anyway), and then this one below was the first one after release:

Out-Of-Character:

-Minecraft Account Name

-How old are you?:

-Time-Zone/Country of Residence:

-Do you have a good grip on the English language/good grammar?:

-Small 2-3 Sentence Description of yourself:

-How much time could you be on the server weekly?:

-How long have you played minecraft?:

-What do you know about roleplaying? How long have you been doing it? What kind?:

-What do you expect this server will be like?: 

-What other server(s) have you played on and why did you leave them?: 

-Have you read, understood, and agreed to the rules? What about the lore?: 

-Name the 4 races on this server: 

-How did you hear about us?:

-Did you vote?:

-What was your favourite Law?:

-What was your least favourite Law?:

-What is your The Lord Of Craft forum account name?:

In-Character:

-Character Name:

-What is your Race?: