Esterlen

Second Session of the Imperial Senate, 1738-1740

Second Session of the Imperial Senate, 1738-1740 

With the recent elections for the Imperial Senate in all four provinces of the Empire, the second session of the perpetual lower chamber of the Imperial Diet is due to commence. In the Varoche Hall, the Vice Chancellor, John de Balain the Baron of Selm, addresses those gathered in the chamber as both legislators and observers. Clearing his throat, the Vice Chancellor begins to speak, his left hand in a state of tremors from a prolonged period of sobriety. His right grips the presiding officer’s customary gavel.

“I call to order the second session of the Imperial Senate for the period of 1738 to 1740. Here we shall propose and discuss legislation and good government for the benefit of our collective nation, oh holy Orenia, who we are here in this eminent chamber to advance. Our previous session has seen the addition, and departure of a number of senators. With the recent elections, I shall now read your names before I swear you in. I would like you all to note that because of the difficulties with the election in the province of Curon, under the terms of the Edict of Election of 1736 the seat has been declared vacant and therefore has been filled by an appointment from His Majesty the King of Curon.”

A clerk shuffles around to retrieve the registry for the legislative session, placing it in front of the Vice Chancellor, atop his desk. He struggles to read it, squinting somewhat before raising his voice so as to project it across the chamber.

“The junior senator from Helena, Mr. Albert Myre,

whose term expires in the year 1742, @lev

The senior senator from Helena, Mr. Desmond Sola,

whose term expires in the year 1740, @hotboss

The senior senator from Haense, Mr. Siegmund Corbish,

whose term expires in the year 1742, @Nathan_Barnett36

The junior senator from Haense, Mr. Terrence May,

whose term expires in the year 1740, @Piov

The senior senator from Kaedrin, Mr. Frederick Armas,

whose term expires in the year 1742, @Esterlen

The junior senator from Kaedrin, Mr. Otho Helvets,

whose term expires in the year 1740, @Stevie

The junior senator from Curon, Mr. Jakob Flameforge,

whose term expires in the year 1742, @Arundlt

The senior senator from Curon, Mr. Matthias Rutledge,

whose term expires in the year 1740.” @Language

John de Balain shoves aside the registration document, his hand still tremoring. He takes up a small, printed copy of the Holy Scrolls of the Canon.

“I now call upon the first of the recently elected Imperial senators, the right honorable gentleman from Kaedrin, Mr. Frederick Armas, who is also president pro tempore of the Imperial Senate, to be sworn in on the Holy Scrolls.”

Frederick Armas, the bewigged Harrenite solicitor who represented the Commonwealth of Kaedrin in the Senate, approaches the dias. He places a hand on John’s copy of the Canonist scripture, a task that is further complicated by the Vice Chancellor’s shakiness. Awkwardly moving his arm with the Baron of Selm’s as he trembles, Armas swears before the chamber a modified version of the archaic Nauzican oath, adapted for incoming Imperial senators.

“I swear to be true to the Emperor and the realm and not to maintain silence about any evil that I may know which is being contemplated against them. I swear to work tirelessly to the betterment of the Empire and the Orenian people that comprise it. I swear also not to eat or drink with traitors and not to have anything in common with them, and always to defend the honor of the gentlemen I serve. This I swear by the Holy Scrolls.”

With the conclusion of the oath, the Vice Chancellor undertakes the customary exchanging of the gavel of the presiding officer to the president pro tempore, with Armas seating himself where the Vice Chancellor was but a moment ago. The Senator from Kaedrin surveys those seated in the chamber, speaking from memory.

“As the duly-elected presiding officer of the Imperial Senate, I shall set the business and agenda of the chamber, managing the floor, debate and other particulars until such time as I resign, fail to be elected as a senator or lose the confidence of the chamber. Before we may commence, and while the Vice Chancellor remains here in the chamber, we must swear in those who have been re-elected to full terms in alphabetical order. As I have just taken my oath, I would call upon the honorable gentleman from Haense, Senator Siegmund Corbish, to take the senator’s oath that I have just demonstrated.”

The president pro tempore ushers up Corbish to the section of the dias where the Vice Chancellor stands, Holy Scrolls gripped firmly in his wavering hand as he prepares to swear him in.

@Nathan_Barnett36

Edited by Esterlen

Senator Matthias Othan Rutledge arrives as the first of the senators to make it into the hall during this session!

He waits quietly for the others to arrive, but he is still uneasy about being in Varoach Hall. Of course, he spent some time chatting with his dear friend, Ser John. Afterwards, after taking a seat, the senator closes his eyes softly, and quietly practices his sentences, trying to say them faster and faster with no halts. 

Senator Siegmund Corbish steps up to dias

“I swear to be true to the Emperor and the realm and not to maintain silence about any evil that I may know which is being contemplated against them. I swear to work tirelessly to the betterment of the Empire and the Orenian people that comprise it. I swear also not to eat or drink with traitors and not to have anything in common with them, and always to defend the honor of the gentlemen I serve. This I swear by the Holy Scrolls”

14 hours ago, Nathan_Barnett36 said:

Senator Siegmund Corbish steps up to dias

“I swear to be true to the Emperor and the realm and not to maintain silence about any evil that I may know which is being contemplated against them. I swear to work tirelessly to the betterment of the Empire and the Orenian people that comprise it. I swear also not to eat or drink with traitors and not to have anything in common with them, and always to defend the honor of the gentlemen I serve. This I swear by the Holy Scrolls”

“I thank my honourable friend the gentleman from Haense. I now call upon senator-designate Jakob Flameforge, the gentleman from Curon, to take the oath of service to the Imperial Senate.”  Armas gestures with his gavel for Jakob to swear the same oath on the Holy Scrolls held by the Vice Chancellor. 

@Arundlt

Edited by Esterlen

Senator Jakob Flameforge steps up to dias

Senator May rises as the oath was concluded before addressing the Chair at the start of the new legislative session. 

Mr President,

I rise today to congratulate my colleague, Senator Corbish on his election to his own right as a member of this most august body. Moreover, I extend these same well-wishes to our other colleagues, especially the member for Curon, whose victories are a testament to their valor and devoted service to their constituents. 

Mister President, I seek to make known to this session on the direction that the Imperial Senate Committee on Justice has elected to take in its role on oversight and reform into Judicial Affairs. I am presenting to the floor a copy of a statement that my office has completed informing the Senate of the agenda for this committee. Three important issues have come across: the issue to clarify the reasons for the dissolution of the Northern Association for Free Trade and Administration, hearings to gain testimonies for the purpose of developing a viable, independent Imperial Judiciary to arbitrate on cases pertaining to our citizens, and the assassination efforts that were waged upon the High Pontiff.

A copy of the agenda is presented to the rostrum:
Agenda of the Imperial Senate Committee on Justice

As Jakob undertakes his oath, the president pro tempore gestures for the senator-elect from Helena, Albert Myre, to take the oath of service. “I now call upon the right honourable gentleman the senator-elect from Helena to take the oath and we shall finally begin proceedings.” 

@lev

Albert stood and approached the Bench, adjusting the medals of service from the orcish war that resided over his heart, he gave a polite cough, and proceeded to repeat the oath as instructed.

6 hours ago, lev said:

Albert stood and approached the Bench, adjusting the medals of service from the orcish war that resided over his heart, he gave a polite cough, and proceeded to repeat the oath as instructed.

“I give my thanks to the right honorable gentleman from Helena, who is now sworn in as senator for that eminent province.” The president pro tempore shuffled a few papers atop his desk, searching idly for a quill-and-inkpot. Failing to find it, he slams down the presiding officer’s gavel. 

“At last, let’s commence the sitting in proper.”

23 hours ago, Piov said:

Senator May rises as the oath was concluded before addressing the Chair at the start of the new legislative session. 

Mr President,

I rise today to congratulate my colleague, Senator Corbish on his election to his own right as a member of this most august body. Moreover, I extend these same well-wishes to our other colleagues, especially the member for Curon, whose victories are a testament to their valor and devoted service to their constituents. 

Mister President, I seek to make known to this session on the direction that the Imperial Senate Committee on Justice has elected to take in its role on oversight and reform into Judicial Affairs. I am presenting to the floor a copy of a statement that my office has completed informing the Senate of the agenda for this committee. Three important issues have come across: the issue to clarify the reasons for the dissolution of the Northern Association for Free Trade and Administration, hearings to gain testimonies for the purpose of developing a viable, independent Imperial Judiciary to arbitrate on cases pertaining to our citizens, and the assassination efforts that were waged upon the High Pontiff.

A copy of the agenda is presented to the rostrum:
Agenda of the Imperial Senate Committee on Justice

“Thank you very much to the chair of the Imperial Senate Committee on Justice, the right honorable gentleman from Haense, for his submission, which I assume you have all read by now,” he offers to the chamber, finally finding his quill in the shambolic mess upon the desk, jotting down a few personal notes on Terrence May’s written agenda.

“The first point of this submission I am prepared to accept for the most part, though I would point out two particular areas which I believe it is the duty of the President of the Senate to clarify. The first is in respect to where you mention ‘the conviction of the committee’ is that ‘vassal relationships within the Empire are subject to the discretion of the Imperial Senate’. Would a clerk please aid the honorable members of the Justice Committee in finding that respective verse?”

A beleaguered clerk is dispatched, however, Mr. May et alia presumably found the passage on his own.

“As president I would be inclined to agree with this particular statement without reservation, however, the act in question was not created by virtue of the Senate, was it? I would like to remind the chair that constitutionally we are forbidden from any legislation that is specific to one province with the provisions being that all must be applied equally, as in respect to the legislature all four provinces have equal standing, and so the only kind of vassal relationship that would be in this chamber’s purview is the kind between all four provinces. It seems to me that legally that argument would not necessarily hold water – a unilaterally created agreement deemed illegal by the government of the day, not formed by the Senate, can only be proscribed by the Senate?”

Armas looks down upon the chamber across the bridge of his thrice-broken nose, powdered wig somewhat askew from the lengthy speech.

“Regardless, I am simply pointing out that this statement may not necessarily be constitutional as is my responsibility as acting president of this body. In respect to the writ of summons against the Solicitor-General, I uphold this and indeed support your rights as a committee to undertake this process through majority vote for the sake of legislative oversight. Though I would clarify that a subpoena may only be issued for specific documents that you know to exist, and we cannot be referring as a chamber to generalities.”

The president pro tempore leans back in his chair as he scans over the remainder of the document, beady eyes penetrating the parchment.

“The second part of your agenda I uphold fully, supporting with all the vigor of the chamber, however I must stress the importance that this is done with some speed and energy with the intention of the introduction of a bill into the chamber at the end of the process. I do not believe in processes simply for the sake of them – it is the Justice Committee’s role to oversee and investigate in greater depth and with more practicality than the entirety of the chamber would allow for. I also do not wish to dispute with you the viability of a reformed judiciary. We already know unanimously that this is not just viable, but absolutely necessary for the administration of fair and independent justice. What form this ought to take, though, is your purview with this report,” he lectures.

“As to your third and final submission, I uphold this in its entirety. An attack upon the Holy Father is an attack upon GOD’s anointed and you have the full and unprejudiced support of myself and I believe the rest of the chamber in your inquiry into such a heinous crime.”

The president pro tempore calls the chamber once more to order, taking a sip of something in a goblet to his right.

“Now, in less exciting terms, I would like to present the agenda of the Imperial Senate Committee on Civil Affairs, a dual role of mine where I am also chairman. This committee has been tasked, appropriately, on finding a national flag for the Holy Orenian Empire, and we have undertaken in that role three submissions which we shall present to you in this setting.

I would like to firstly clarify that the golden cross with an eye in the center is the personal sigil of His Imperial Majesty the Emperor, and the white eagle on red the arms of the Duke of Helena. 

You will notice in these submissions a consistent color scheme, which I shall explain across them. The color white generally represents the prophet Horen or the Seven Skies. The color black indicates humanity as a whole – an emperor’s colors. The color purple represents the prophet Godfrey, the ancient house of Horen or its animal, the dragon. The color red represents the prophet Owyn, the righteous flame, and the army.

We shall obviously have a look at these fine flags and then vote on them as the entire chamber. As there are three options, we will practice a process of elimination, whereby the flag that receives the least amount of votes in the first round shall be eliminated. As this shall no doubt be a quicker affair than the more complex matters investigated by the Justice Committee, I would suggest that we, as a body, undertake this first.”

Armas bangs his gavel once more, ending the series of speeches with an invitation. 

“Before that point, though, I would like to invite any senator present in the chamber for questions on the President’s whole statement.”

On 10/23/2019 at 10:30 AM, Esterlen said:

“Before that point, though, I would like to invite any senator present in the chamber for questions on the President’s whole statement.”

After the customary period of silence, Armas calls the chamber to order. “As I can see my honorable friends have all reviewed the agenda on civil affairs I would like to call the chamber to order to vote on these submissions. The chair calls a division.” He gestures for a clerk to go onto the chamber floor and record the votes of every senator, after five or so minutes returning to him. The president pro tempore advises the clerk of his own vote and prepares to announce the results. 

“One vote for the first selection, my honorable friend Sola from Helena. Four for the second selection – myself and my honorable friends Rutledge and Flameforge of Curon as well as Helvets of Kaedrin. Both of the honorable gentlemen from Haense, Corbish and May, for the third selection, and Senator Myre of Helena has abstained. No option has attained the necessary majority and so we shall take the first selection out of contention.”

The process is repeated, with this time only the second and third flag as an option. The clerk tallies the votes again, bringing them to Armas to read out.

“Armas, Flameforge, Rutledge and Helvets in favor of the second submission, Corbish, May, Myre and Sola in favour of the third. I believe we have a deadlock in the chamber on the matter of the Imperial national flag. I would call on His Excellency the Vice Chancellor, if anyone can find him, to undertake his constitutional duty of a tie-breaking vote.”

@BenevolentManacles

On 10/26/2019 at 12:21 PM, BenevolentManacles said:

The Vice-Chancellor raises his hand, “I prefer the red with the purple crown, and thus that is my vote.”

The president pro tempore once more calls the chamber to order, banging the gavel. 

“And so with our first tie-breaking vote cast by the office of the Vice Chancellor, we shall present our selection of the second flag to the Crown for the appropriate imperial assent. I would now wish to issue a writ of summons to His Excellency the Secretary of the Treasury to provide us with the oft-requested budget.”

@Wurfv

Edited by Esterlen

On 10/27/2019 at 4:47 PM, Esterlen said:

The president pro tempore once more calls the chamber to order, banging the gavel. 

“And so with our first tie-breaking vote cast by the office of the Vice Chancellor, we shall present our selection of the second flag to the Crown for the appropriate imperial assent. I would now wish to issue a writ of summons to His Excellency the Secretary of the Treasury to provide us with the oft-requested budget.”

@Wurfv

With this lack of progress, the president pro tempore calls the chamber to order. 

”My honorable friends in the chamber will now understand that, in light of the refusal of the Secretary of the Treasury to deliver a budget to this body, as is his constitutional duty, I shall be writing to the new Archchancellor to request his resignation or termination. If His Excellency the Archchancellor refuses to whip his Cabinet ministers to undertake their duties, I shall express that the opinion of this house is one of no confidence in them. If His Excellency does not act to deal with this aberration, I shall introduce a writ of impeachment pertaining to the Secretary of the Treasury onto the floor.”

Armas bangs his gavel, frustrated by the lack of activity on the behalf of the Council of State. 

“I would call upon the Chair of the Imperial Senate Committee on Justice to update the chamber on his findings in relation to his agenda.”

@Piov

“Mr President,

I rise today to stand in solidarity with my constituents in this time. An attack against our senatorial debate, and thereby an attack on this very body was committed. I speak for all those I represent in Haense as we move forward. Our government and our resolve will continue to stand strong in the face of adversity. I am delighted to note that we are doing our part in ensuring that acts like these will not continue to wrack the public confidence and courage to face evil itself. For our Lord Speaker, the Count of Ayr, Sigmar Baruch, my friend who I have known for more than a decade, was struck by the assailants’ arrows and rushed into the clinic where our readily and able medics were hastily ready to tend to him. I implore all my colleagues in this chamber to join me in condemning this attack and praying for those who were present. 

@Esterlen

8 hours ago, Piov said:

“Mr President,

I rise today to stand in solidarity with my constituents in this time. An attack against our senatorial debate, and thereby an attack on this very body was committed. I speak for all those I represent in Haense as we move forward. Our government and our resolve will continue to stand strong in the face of adversity. I am delighted to note that we are doing our part in ensuring that acts like these will not continue to wrack the public confidence and courage to face evil itself. For our Lord Speaker, the Count of Ayr, Sigmar Baruch, my friend who I have known for more than a decade, was struck by the assailants’ arrows and rushed into the clinic where our readily and able medics were hastily ready to tend to him. I implore all my colleagues in this chamber to join me in condemning this attack and praying for those who were present. 

@Esterlen

Frederick nods seriously as the Senator from Haense speaks, appreciating the gravity of his words.

“A terrible crime. I believe that I act with the voice of the chamber when I say that we must universally, without either fear or favor, condemn such exercises of violence against our cherished institutions. This act will not go unpunished, and it shall serve as a testament as to why our gracious body - and the principle it was founded on - is integral to our Empire. I love this country whom we serve, one country under our Emperor, who is guarantor of these liberties. The Count of Ayr and all others who were present to witness this shall be in my prayers.”

He reshuffles some paperwork on his desk.

“I also wish to inform you all of a terribly tragedy – the death of a colleague. The junior senator from Helena, Mr. Albert Myre, who was elected only in 1738, has passed to the Seven Skies. I would like you all to pray for him, for his time with us has been cut too short by GOD. I would also like you to welcome and become acquainted with the government’s selection for his replacement, Dr. Charles Napier of Helena. Please greet our honorable friend, who I am certain shall amass a substantial legacy as a member of this house.”

Once more, the president pro tempore calls the chamber to order.

“I am cognizant that Imperial elections, for half of the chamber, do approach us. I would henceforth like to open the floor to any senator, as is customary, to introduce any legislation that they have been working on or believe it is the business of this house to consider.”

@Piov @Arundlt @Hanrahan @Nathan_Barnett36 @hotboss @Language @Stevie