Vortex and Map Change FAQ

devvy

VORTEX FAQ

Thank you to everyone who has been helping out by testing Vortex. This is our first test in a large-scale public environment, and things were bound to break. The Techs have been working to patch bugs and crashes to assure everything runs smoothly once the map is out. You are of course not required to participate in this testing; regular roleplay may of course occur throughout the isles and on the boats.

Why was the release so buggy and why was no guide released right away?

This is our first test in a large-scale public environment, and things were bound to break. The techs have been busy working on the code and were not sure if Vortex would even be ready for this test. The decision was made last night (with some hesitation) to test the code live, and although the discovery of bugs, feedback, and testing has been invaluable, no guide was ready at that time. Thankfully the transition server is the perfect environment to test this code, even with all the initial bugs, as it does not affect the next map in any way.

When will a more in-depth Vortex guide come out?

Currently HogoBojo is the sole contributor towards all the guides.  The beginner Vortex guide was released earlier today and all further updates will be announced. There will also be a contest for writing guides with details at the bottom of this post.

https://wiki.lordofthecraft.net/index.php?title=Vortex_Beginners_Guide

When do we arrive on the new server?

We will arrive on the official map November 27th, 2020. This is also when full access will be released for Vortex. 

How do I make things in Vortex?

Currently the temp map is running on a limited access version of Vortex. This is an entirely separate entity from the full version Vortex that will be available upon the release of Almaris. Also, note that ores and wood are set to refresh within a few minutes, the cooldown will be longer on the live server, and ores will be found in mines on nation tiles. There is an unofficial guide published on the forums that outlines your current capabilities. 

A quick note on freebuild

A small freebuild area has been setup near the spawn point to allow people to kill some time and place down workstations, etc. Please assure to follow normal rules for build standards and griefing within this area.

Will there be an Arcas download available?

Yes, there will be an Arcas download available. Currently our focus is on the actual map change itself and an announcement will come out when the download is released. 

When will vaults be available?

As outlined in the Vaults post by Llir, your vault will be available sometime after the release of Almaris.

Guide Writing Contest

Spoiler

Side note: Once the full Vortex system is released, we encourage players to help out and write their own guides. There will in fact be a contest for guide writing that is available for the players! Message HogoBojo#0001 on discord, he will help find you a topic to write on - the winner will receive 250 minas. This contest will begin on November 27th and end on December 30th. 

how do i make a banjo

7 minutes ago, devvy said:

Why was no guide released last night?

The decision was made last night to test the code live

Kappa

9 minutes ago, devvy said:

Please assure to follow normal rules for build standards and griefing within this area.

pls for the love of god if i see one more birch plank box im gonna lose it

Thanks, Devvy. Despite this being a bit confusing and giving me bad flashbacks to Nexus, I do appreciate that the higher levels of staff are still showing us that they're interested in helping people understand rather than outright dismissing us as heretics against the new plugins. As we transition into the full Vortex, we will only have even more questions. What I do not hope to see is a continued divide between those who do not have complaints and those who do have complaints about the recent changes. 

1 minute ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

Thanks, Devvy. Despite this being a bit confusing and giving me bad flashbacks to Nexus, I do appreciate that the higher levels of staff are still showing us that they're interested in helping people understand rather than outright dismissing us as heretics against the new plugins. As we transition into the full Vortex, we will only have even more questions. What I do not hope to see is a continued divide between those who do not have complaints and those who do have complaints about the recent changes. 

If anyone has further questions please ask! This transition has been hectic for a few teams so I want to ease the process in any way possible

13 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

It'd be very epic if instead of locking pages where people might be giving criticism about vortex or surge the admins actually responded or at least took the community's input into consideration.

Yes, I do not think people who tested the alpha or are simply whiteknighting for nick calling people 'brainlets' for finding it confusing or having a complaint helps anybody.

12 minutes ago, Boniface said:

Yes, I do not think people who tested the alpha or are simply whiteknighting for nick calling people 'brainlets' for finding it confusing or having a complaint helps anybody.

Its no worse than what i was being called for liking the new systems. I dont think calling people staff simps or whiteknights for nick for not agreeing with you helps anybody.

2 hours ago, Sham404 said:

simps

Mate, you were literally saying that people who found the system confusing had mental deficiencies. Being called a simp aint ****. Both in OOC and on the forums we've put effort into making our complaints aimed at the system, not at the people behind it but the likes of you and professorus then barge in to call us all smoothbrains and brainlets. 

Honestly get your head out of your rear.

Good post, though, devvy. Hope to see more soon!

1 hour ago, FlemishSupremacy said:

Mate, you were literally saying that people who found the system confusing had mental deficiencies. Being called a simp aint ****. Both in OOC and on the forums we've put effort into making our complaints aimed at the system, not at the people behind it but the likes of you and professorus then barge in to call us all smoothbrains and brainlets. 

Honestly get your head out of your rear.

Good post, though, devvy. Hope to see more soon!

Dont insult people if you cant take insults. Simple as that. People are complaining that new players wont understand the system - I a new player figured it out in ten minutes or less and then i was told my opinion doesnt count because i havent played on the server long enough. Then people are saying im only defending it because i tested it (which i didnt) and then im a staff simp or im just whiteknighting for Nick.

Yeah, thats pretty big brain.

Edited by Sham404

10 hours ago, Shmeepicus said:

It'd be very epic if instead of locking pages where people might be giving criticism about vortex or surge the admins actually responded or at least took the community's input into consideration.

You're right, but I've never seen a single feedback thread not get locked when people start calling each other smooth brains on it. My concern is not one thread.

14 hours ago, devvy said:

Please assure to follow normal rules for build standards

377f1470382072eaba76129fb56292e2.png

4 hours ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

You're right, but I've never seen a single feedback thread not get locked when people start calling each other smooth brains on it. My concern is not one thread.

Guess we can assume this one will get locked at one point or another as well then, LOL.

I endorse vortex as the most premium and excellent Minecraft roleplay enhancer. 

- gives lotc users something to do all day while playing the server

- rewards lotc users for playing

- fun, maybe

- more opportunity for future additions / fun features

- more fine grained control over the economy and combat

- makes the server feel more developed / dynamic of an experience and differentiates it from other minecraft servers

- interesting idea

- badlioncells cope and seethe

- tavern rpers who want to be gods at everything while only sitting in the tavern all day cope and seethe

- minecraft updates will probably break vortex over and over again leading to a large burden on the already small dev team

- ignores preexisting systems that are tried and true on lotc such as mcmmo, which is looked down upon by the lotc phd students and scholars but is actually the most based solution as it is already a preexisting + updated plugin that can be tweaked and developed to suit lotcs complex needs.

- ignores minecrafts preexisting mechanics that could be tweaked more to fit lotcs needs instead of recreating a whole system. could have whole custom crafting recipes within the minecraft crafting system instead of complex menus.