Peace and Quiet [PK - Part 2]

Crevel

[!] Copies of the letter would find its way on notice boards throughout Nyrheim, presumably put on by numerous couriers. Examining the language of the letter, it can be extracted that it’s very likely that it was initially intended for someone or a select few people but it had been widely spread regardless.

Peace and Quiet

We have found ourselves fighting a primordial enemy, our heads locked together in what may continue to be a dangerous stalemate. Our conflict derives not from our religion, nor our blood. The conflict derives ultimately from the cultural differences that have eluded us for centuries, and will forever continue to do so as long as our cultures remain separate.

Our traditions are what strengthens us, likewise it is their traditions, however broken they may seem, that strengthen them. Our differences are essential to our lives, and we should not aim to alleviate that. I do not regret my place in this conflict. The Empire, which I still firmly believe should be reaffirmed as a Kingdom, has continuously provoked us since we’ve been in Nyrheim, leading to us waging our current punitive war. They conducted undercover investigations in our lands, they attempted to turn our soldiers away from their loyalties, and they went outside of their own law to attack our citizens that visited their cities. This is not new to us. We have all discussed their offences numerous times together, and we have all witnessed, or heard of, similar actions committed by their government in Arcas in times of supposed peace.

They are scared of what they’ve started. Their only response to their mistakes is to make use of improper and downright barbaric tactics that the upper echelons of their government claim to denounce while hiring mercenaries that only wish to take the conflict further into barbarism. They lie through their teeth. Despite lies not being generally concerning in Imperial politics, my worry lies in the fact that they are pulling the wool over the eyes of their citizens, cheating them of any dignity that they’re owed. Their constant propaganda, which is either heavily exaggerated to the point of being false or completely fabricated to begin with, has united their people under a banner of murder and subterfuge in replacement of Canonism, the respectable faith that they so earnestly claim to follow. They have thrown sand into the eyes of their people, blinding them and claiming that we were the ones who threw the sand in the same breath. Their citizens have not seen the front lines, yet they chirp the words of their government like an Arthasian Puffin, turning their lies into perceived fact. As long as the Orenian government continues to do this with little consequence in their homeland, Nyrheim as we know it is in danger.

When I returned from Providence after serving in the Ministry of Justice as a lowly lawclerk, I found myself, for the first time in my decades-long life, bedazzled by a woman. A Norlandic woman. A modern Athelflaed. Helgi was sweet, earnest, and remarkably talented in her ability to care for children. We found that we had common interests, and we were quick to form a bond. Our bond came so swiftly that before we knew it, we had a child of our own. However, there comes a time that life must be given to create new life.. And it seems that this is one of those times. 

Einar will never have the chance to meet his mother. Whenever I look down at him in my arms, I see her regret in his grey eyes. It was only shortly after we lost Helgi that the Kingdom found itself at war, a regret that I have for my son. I will not allow my son to grow old as an orphan, not knowing his father and mother, because of this barbaric war. Equally, I will not allow my son to be a casualty in a war where the opposition will justify the massacre of innocents simply because they had war declared upon them. Only those that are cornered will take to using reprehensible actions, and that’s why they are so dangerous. The strongest value we hold as a society is our family. The Imperials to the south are willing to slaughter our women and children, the foundations to a healthy family, to gain an upper hand at the expense of our humanity. I have already lost Helgi, I will not be losing Einar. 

By the time that a copy of this letter reaches your desks, I will have already packed my own and will be long-gone. As long as this conflict remains, do not come looking for me. I will take extreme measures if necessary to defend my son. Norlanders are a valiant people. In times of strife, we prevail with a victory in our name. I have no doubts that our Kingdom, as well as our allies, will come out victorious in this conflict and we will get the justice that we truly deserve. However, this victory will need to be a victory that I will not share for the sake of my son. Keep the people in high hopes, for they will need it in this war against barbarism but most importantly, make those fuckers regret it.

Spoiler

For context to this post, read the PK post linked here:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/202237-one-wrong-slip-pk/

Please also understand that there is no beef between myself and the rest of Norland that led to me writing this. I’ve decided to spend time away from Norland given that I’ve been an active part of it for almost two years. Instead, I will be dedicating more time to my Kortrevich persona in Haense, courtesy of @Luminaire.  

Signed,

Arthas II Edvardsson-Ruric, Prince of Norland

iw-bCXTA08fsWx61Ze7FpYFqk-OPJDrolZxZlEViOhGZwZNfsUy3ZKy8Vn-WfbWFuyi9SENtPfNJKcoGMGvOZ_CaC2nz2Yxmhx3I1MN61dV-2_NlwY78BYaNqAgi-yHUeIlatFqX

7 hours ago, Crevel said:

They are scared of what they’ve started.

The Count of Valles held up a finger as he pointed to his ward to start speaking. It was a long and grueling lesson on public speaking and the Count knew such. He'd shake his head as the boy faltered in the middle of his practice speech. Finally, the Count gave some importance advice to his young ward.

"Remember boy, if vy ever feel as if vy are going to falter, always make sure to project."

Theoderic frowns sadly upon hearing the news, while he was no ally of Arthas the death of a fellow Fatherist is never welcome news. Theoderic and his followers would pause at their labours, bowing their heads to offer a moment of silence and prayer for the passing of the Chancellor.

The Solicitor-General would shrug as he heard the news "The death of a former employee of Our Ministry, of a public servant and imperial functionary as Arthas was for almost two years, is always a tragedy. I wish that Arthas had chosen to stay with Us, the Orenian people, instead of sticking with the barbarians of his family. Rest in peace."

Caedric upon hearing the news would retire for a few moments to the Varhelm Keep. He'd pray a quiet prayer for his son's soul and for his safe travel to the Father's Halls. 

"I shall join ye' soon, boy. We've anot'er war te' fight, t'en I shall see ye'."

The aged Caedric says to himself.