Lore Change - Racial Updates

squakhawk

4 hours ago, SquakHawk said:

The only feats accessible by Ologs are Seer and Sycophants of Boletius.

Why would ologs not have access to haruspexy when its a simpler form of shamanism. Makes more sense for an orc descendant that explicitly has an understanding of shamanism (as current lore stands). I don't think they should be able to imbue something like complex memories or stories, but basic animated cave painting would be cool.  Other then the horn ungunga racial lore seems fine and changes like this are good. 

do yourselves a favor. stop roleplaying romance on a children's block game and then the relative maturity and ages of consent of fantasy races won't matter, except maybe for signing legally binding contracts?

Ah yes, time to thoroughly Ignore one of the halfling's few unique traits being taking from us without asking for the majority opinion, until it gets changed back.

Not gonna just act like my persona I've been treating like a ten year old is now suddenly capable of marriage, bit creepy, don't like the vibes, sorry lore dudes.

Edit:

I also feel like this is rewarding the people who were already ignoring the halfling lore to have their halfling kids be treated like adults rather than the people who Weren't Doing That Kind Of Weird Thing.

But I digress. Still gonna keep the (Child) prefix for my halfling in her 20s because if I'm playing a character as an 11 year old girl I'm not gonna just jump to letting people marry that character because the rules were changed.

Edited by salamanderfantasy

orcish playerbase rn

3 hours ago, Royal Peasant said:

As a twin in reality I shall pout  at our existence being denied! 

Oh god there's two of them

My suggestion would be instead, set a baseline age of maturity for each race and make it a rule break to romance a character before their races age of maturity.

Then races can still have age lore that is unique to them.

This rule change physically ages up child halfling characters into maturity for some reason. I’d much prefer if it was kept at 33 maturity for halflings like it’s always been and said age was just enforced more and mentioned more in the lore so new players get the idea of it.

I’d be a shame to lose this one difference between humans and halflings. I know the staff want uniformity in this but now with an 18 maturity across the board everything just loses that little bit of uniqueness. Halfling families will now go through generations at the same rate as humans rather than going much slower (as it did previously) which will take some getting used to.

3 hours ago, monkeypoacher said:

do yourselves a favor. stop roleplaying romance on a children's block game and then the relative maturity and ages of consent of fantasy races won't matter, except maybe for signing legally binding contracts?

c07.gif

But like really guys it is that simple. Grow tf up. Touch grass.

8 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

kind of lame orcs having sex at 12 tbf

Ewww we're not elves or a certain big nation of humans. Anyway this rule will be ignored as orcs are not born, THEY SPAWN FROM THE FOREST AT 18 :*

I tend to not have strong opinions on rule changes but this is... silly? You removed a large part of Halfling lore without consulting anyone in the player base or even asking our opinions on it, it's also left more room for bad-faith actors to come in because when before you literally couldn't do romance RP with a Halfling under the age of 33 now you can while the rest of the community is looking at you like a cradle snatcher for going after someone we consider children. 

This seems like a cop-out instead of just adding a note that says, "You cannot romance RP someone under their racial age of maturity, check wiki to know what it is." Instead you have removed a huge element of our culture, and once again, did it without consulting anyone in the community while forcibly aging many of our characters up. Halflings having a long time between generations was important to us, us having the long time as children to mature and learn about the world was important to us, there were cultural nuances here that you didn't stop to consider and now we have to figure out how our community is going to treat this moving forward because the staff decided to once again make a decision that would effect our community without giving us any warning or communicating with us.

The problem with the Elves was that they are physically and emotionally 'fully-grown' at age 18, and yet in most 'actual' Elven cultures are considered adolescents until they're age 50.

Orcs physically aged faster, and stripping that from them to make it a uniform 18 | 18 (physical | mental maturity) exclusively removes from the race.

Halflings physically and mentally aged slower (33 | 33), and stripping that from us similarly exclusively removes from our race. As has already been mentioned, this was a very simple fix:

'You may not FTB with sexual implications / romance RP beneath the age of maturity of the characters' races. See Wiki for the age of maturity for different races.

Ologs: never reach the age of maturity due to their mental state.

Orcs: Get physically fully-grown at 12 but their age of maturity is 18. 

Halflings: Can keep their longer juvenile phase, with an age of maturity of 33.

Elves: Reach the age of maturity at 18 (but are often culturally regarded as adolescent until 50).'

These changes make lore moderation simpler at the expense of, y'know, lore. This isn't some ridiculous-level bloat you've cut back on, these are core features of niche races that have simple solutions. In the case of Orcs; is someone RPing their ~12 year old Orc as an adult? If yes, they're breaching the lore. In the case of Halflings; is someone RPing their ~18 year old Halfling as an adult? If yes, they're breaching the lore. There's a simple solution to these instances, starting with a warning and ending with the revoking of characters and the blacklisting of players from races. 

If handling such simple lore breaches is a task too complex for current LT, that's a problem with LT, not the lore.

4 minutes ago, func_Soap said:

If handling such simple lore breaches is a task too complex for current LT, that's a problem with LT, not the lore.

This part, staff is a volunteer position. You went into this knowing it was complex,  if you don't want to moderate complex lore step down and let someone who is willing to do it instead of just dumbing down lore to make it easier for you.

14 minutes ago, func_Soap said:

'You may not FTB with sexual implications / romance RP beneath the age of maturity of the characters' races. See Wiki for the age of maturity for different races.

So you're fine with 12 year old orcs FTBing cuz they at the age of maturity at 12 yuh?

16 minutes ago, TakeMeT0TheFae said:

This part, staff is a volunteer position. You went into this knowing it was complex,  if you don't want to moderate complex lore step down and let someone who is willing to do it instead of just dumbing down lore to make it easier for you.

That's quite unrealistic. I hope you don't take it personal at all, but it's completely off reality.

Staff's already always running at limits. Staff is a volunteer position, without any payment. It comes with annoying work chores nobody likes doing and in the end of the day you only get shit by ungrateful kids.

Believe me, I've been doing this for quite a while, nobody does it because they like it, because they know if they don't do it, people will neglect the server and othe beautiful and fun world we created here would cease to exist within months.

Just to visualise this:

Staff answers roughly 3000 (!) tickets a month. If we're optimistic, one takes roughly 1/2 hour. Especially world team tickets often take 2-3 hours. But let's stay with that: That's 1500 hours of work a month, or 50 hours a day. With the immensely optimistic expectation that all 100 members of staff are active, this is 30min of work every day. ONLY Ticket. With every bold assumptions. The realilty is that 5 people carry the teams. So more like 3 hours a day. Again: Only tickets. We're not talking about internal discussions, planning etc... building maps not included... fixing bugs not included...

To properly run the server it would need 10 people working 8/5 - given there's only tickets. Probably twice as much. Lol.

I know these numbers aren't perfect, but just to give you a rough idea, how much love goes into LOTC...