A New Player’s Observations on the State of Roleplay - Reflections After a Month

Spindle

Reflections After a Month on LOTC

A new player’s observations on the state of roleplay

And a month went by like a fleeting breeze. Honestly, since my little introductory post in July, I have made innumerable new friends, dunked an exhaustive hand into the dusty stacks of lore - I stress the word “dusty” as navigating this dingy forum is dolorous abuse, sown some seeds for ongoing storylines, and contributed smally to the lore in my own way. Writing magical-related topics are hitherto formidable, though some other various writing projects are underway! 

The following are some completed projects I have done this month:

For all those interested in the insights of a new player, I want to discuss my experiences during this short stint of roleplaying; LOTC social commentary if you will. Sorry Libtards but my opinion is sacrosanct. 

Firstly is referencing. Without naming names or citing blatant plagiarism, I have noticed a large quantity of what is considered “canonical lore” takes inspiration from sources that are not recognised. While it is easy to respond with some flippant comment like: “It’s just Minecraft bro,” I will simply refute this claim with the following~

Spoiler

Ironically many posts cite art sources they used while disregarding the axiom of their posts. Referencing is easy, and you should take the time to do it.     

@argonian composed a post on the clunkiness of the LOTC Wiki page and talked about the limited access that new players have in navigating such an antiquated apparatus. However, I want to broaden this notion to the Forum itself. Coming into the realm of Minecraft RP, creating an initial character was this insurmountable mountain, looming behind a monolithic wall of forum posts. So here I am, little Sisyphus pushing a boulder up this vertical incline, and the state of the forum is a sprawling clutter of topics haphazardly scattered with other multi-layered subtopics. I am unsure of a fix-all for this matter, though, in this iteration of LOTC commentary, monkey see, monkey say!  

When first joining LOTC, the rumblings of some rampant toxicity seemed deafening at first. After a month, I have encountered a sum total of zero toxicity; my sacrosanct, though, anecdotal experience suggests that the outcry outweighs the occurrence. And yes, I do not mean to discredit anyone, and similarly, my time on the server is severally limited, a common theme in many online communities is a foraging for issues where there are none to be had. Creating issues for issues sake. We have run out of things to hate so we create our own! My observations may be entirely wrong on this fact - so, please get some discussions going below.  

On a positive note, the quality of writing on LOTC is pretty baffling. Emotes usually have this golden ratio of dialogue and narrative, gaudiness and typing speed. This absolute keyboard-tapping wizard known as @DISCOLIQUID has some of the prettiest emotes spewing out at breakneck speed. I am yet to partake in any combat roleplay where this gaudiness may be a hindrance, but Ms Spindle is very much enjoying reading some lovely emotes!

So, coming out with a new addiction, my LOTC experiences have been wholly positive. No targeted toxicity attacks. No experiences of bad roleplay. This scion of roleplay is yet to experience anything of the sort! Hopefully, we can keep it that way. 

Spindle

Hrm. This must be a staff plant sent to trick us into believing everything is okay... screamingdingo, you in there?

No, in all seriousness, glad you're having a nice time. And yes. Argonian/james2k is a genius and discoliquid has a southern twang.

the way you speak in a forum post bothers me somehow, but im glad you're having fun! LOTC is huge and the learning curve is a constant issue, as is with anything that has a good amount of depth.

always good to see new players sticking around and furthermore actually enjoying their time on the server

looking forward to future endeavors from you o/

Very glad you’re having fun, and happily i can return we’re working on some good solutions. 

I also realized recently how intimidating our lore can be for new players. While our lore has proved very size-proof (meaning it’s scaled extremely well over the last few years as the amount of users has exploded in size), it’s entry level of understanding has too.

Im currently working on the foundation of a project between the ST and CT to make an entry-level few pieces to lore to massively clarify and allow understanding of the story for players. 

Otherwise, been loving the pieces you’ve submitted so far and im looking forward to further.

hope you continue to enjoy your time 😊

I certainly laughed reading your post, nice style.

Thanks for sharing your experience—and for bludgeoning your way through the barriers that we put to prevent new people from joining…how rude of you to stick through it. You'll have to put up with us now by the way, good luck !!

P.S. it's very encouraging to see you have a pleasant experience with our old fart server, we just turned 11 this year :)

So happy you're sharing this experience :)

The lore is certainly intimidating, not just for new players. It still scares me, after almost four years...

I agree, @DISCOLIQUIDis certainly one of the, if not the best roleplayer I've ever seen here.

Their emotes are funny, fast, detailed and just so... unexpected?