Supporting the Player Base: A Case for Fast Travels

Ark

if lotcs world was dynamic road rp would be worth it...... buttttt lotcs world is not dynamic enough to the point that road rp will ever be worth sacrificing players time

as old as the server is, and as old as some of the playerbase is, i would expect the currency of time to be valued above all else. a lot of us are in college, have lives, jobs, etc (and ik someone below is going to subironically quote this section and go HAHA no we dont we play MINECRAFT so stfu noob) and honestly i cbf'd to run around settlement to settlement just to find rp, after 30 mins to an hour of searching for it during the time i log on

oh and this isn't even addressing the thrilling rp you get when you're stopped on the roads and robbed into an 8 hour crp fight or alternatively get clicked to death which is the most epic char development you'll ever get omg ebin:DDDDD

fast travels r the great equalizer, cause at least then you can efficiently find rp and not deal with wasting ur time 

edit: take away staffs ability to /warp and /tp for a month and you'll never hear about an lotc without fast travel again 

edit to the edit: made it big and red for emphasis 

1 hour ago, Medvekoma said:

If you would use fast travel, but are forced to walk instead, it means you want to get from A to B quick and any "road RP" will be perceived more an interruption trying to get to your destination.

exactly this

road RP is a dead dream. when RP is centralized in nation capitals and settlements, we should be allowing players the easiest tools to access that RP, not force it down players' throats

26 minutes ago, space warlord organ trader said:

if lotcs world was dynamic road rp would be worth it...... buttttt lotcs world is not dynamic enough to the point that road rp will ever be worth sacrificing players time

as old as the server is, and as old as some of the playerbase is, i would expect the currency of time to be valued above all else. a lot of us are in college, have lives, jobs, etc (and ik someone below is going to subironically quote this section and go HAHA no we dont we play MINECRAFT so stfu noob) and honestly i cbf'd to run around settlement to settlement just to find rp, after 30 mins to an hour of searching for it during the time i log on

oh and this isn't even addressing the thrilling rp you get when you're stopped on the roads and robbed into an 8 hour crp fight or alternatively get clicked to death which is the most epic char development you'll ever get omg ebin:DDDDD

fast travels r the great equalizer, cause at least then you can efficiently find rp and not deal with wasting ur time 

edit: take away staffs ability to /warp and /tp for a month and you'll never hear about an lotc without fast travel again 

edit to the edit: made it big and red for emphasis 

I've never thought about that, but that definitely makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, un-w said:

exactly this

road RP is a dead dream. when RP is centralized in nation capitals and settlements, we should be allowing players the easiest tools to access that RP, not force it down players' throats

I agree, we just make it as easy as possible for people to RP. It takes a lot of work to create RP on the server. 

Fast travel should stay, it does nothing but help benefit the server. I am someone who likes to explore the world and see what's out there. I like to visit different playerbases and see their rp and how they build and interact with the world. Fast travel helps me get from point A to point B much quicker. I do not think there are many positives to encouraging 'Road RP' at all. If you are not running a roadside tavern, then there's very little benefit to 'Road RP', most people are on the roads because they wish to go from one place to another, not because they're trying to have rp on the roads. For the most part, 'Road RP' does nothing but help bandits who just want to rob people of their loot, and I am willing to bet most people are not on the roads to get robbed. 

I also think fast travel encourages exploration, maybe not of the entire map, but of different settlements. If you want the server to feel alive and connected, then an easy way of traveling should be available. I think providing a quick route between say Balian and Haense or from the South Hub to Balian is much better than forcing someone to ride or run all the way to their location. It saves them time and means they can get to rping quicker. 

Finally, I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue for the removal or against fast travel. While I think some people are okay without them, I have never seen anyone explicitly argue that they're a detriment to anything on the server. If anything, I've only seen people argue and fight to keep them. I really think it would be a mistake to take steps backwards by removing fast travel. It helps the server, let it live please.

YESSS!! I know when Balian didn’t have fast travel, we got many one or two people showing up per week… it was really sad. Once we got our fast travel cart, literally the vast different of people coming to visit was extremely different. 

You can see which settlements don’t have fast travel carts because of their lack of activity from players visiting due to unknowing of their location or it being to far to travel. It shouldn’t take 10 min to travel somewhere on foot and then get lost!! 

The horse buff and lack of a centralized road network (no kings road, no circle road) has already killed road RP. You don’t pass by any other nations on your way to the active city capitals, so you don’t interact with other travelers as often. Even when you do meet people on the roads they are moving at Mach 5 on their horse and you have about 2 seconds to emote to them before they’re already gone.

How can fast travel “kill” something if that something was already butchered? I do not understand.

6 hours ago, space warlord organ trader said:

me taking away story’s warp and tp pex and completely shutting down building and events, community can’t go to new players, mods can’t go to tickets ([mod]—>[me] sorry i have to fly all the way there i’m in celianor, what are the coords to your settlement/conflict so i can help you again?)

me ignoring that and remembering story having warp or tp doesn’t change anything and now they just don’t have warp or tp 

this is a repfarm crusade and you have to stop ur like fox rebranding from news to entertainment rn 

road rp sucks and isn’t real the most road rp i’ve ever done is banditing people who didn’t want to interact on the roads on Arcas and abusing the mad max 1p-5pm window when nobody in the southern half had any authority or guards to do anything about the raiders so most of the time it was kind of just a on sight pvp server down there (shoutout to the homies abusing the offhand trident bug) 

fast travel is tricky because it can rely on a few things. if its NEW and relies on techs, in honesty you’re not going to get a product very satisfactory because of how much they’ve got already to both make and to upkeep. if you just have warp signs around the map (or use of ferries), which if i recall correctly is the case, it’s shorter than waiting for a soulstone and marginally faster in some cases than walking 

next map (spoilers don’t tell squak i mentioned it) we plan to rectify travel times and make them somewhat universal, targeting new players to have them introduced into quality rp ASAP. Story itself has taken on a project to try and introduce new players in a significantly easier, clearer, and more understandable way to improve retention. Community has been on this goal for months but is in the tech swamp.

i also don’t mean to be rude or a dick to techs they really do have a lot of work on their hands to both do and to upkeep and for a position that on average pays six digits a year to be done for free rather consistently, well im pretty happy (and surprised) we’ve had techs for this long. i wish we had more obviously but it’s a hard skill to learn and fewer would volunteer their time and effort to make it work. 

2 hours ago, squakhawk said:

me ignoring that and remembering story having warp or tp doesn’t change anything and now they just don’t have warp or tp 

this is a repfarm crusade and you have to stop ur like fox rebranding from news to entertainment rn

pwqMTHu.png

y-yes boss back to work i go no more repfarming for me........ X3

/warp [redacted]cage

Warped to [redacted]cage

9 hours ago, space warlord organ trader said:

an amazing take, truly my fellow morrowind schizo SWOT never has a bad-

18 minutes ago, space warlord organ trader said:

y-yes boss back to work i go no more repfarming for me........ X3

so why did i sign up to be a forum janny again

also

7 hours ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

The horse buff and lack of a centralized road network (no kings road, no circle road) has already killed road RP. You don’t pass by any other nations on your way to the active city capitals, so you don’t interact with other travelers as often. Even when you do meet people on the roads they are moving at Mach 5 on their horse and you have about 2 seconds to emote to them before they’re already gone.

How can fast travel “kill” something if that something was already butchered? I do not understand.

yeah
i aint the oldest blood in the feasting pit but zamn road rp lasting longer than 2 minutes has never happened to me on almaris
and I used to travel these streets religiously

If the map wasn’t so giant and empty road running wouldn’t be a problem. Athera was great since it only took you 1-5 minutes to find a settlement, instead of the Almaris experience of running for 15 minutes on a road just to find inactive dead city #24

I can't think in 10 years of any bandit RP I've had on the roads that wasn't just some ol' unenjoyable bullshit anyway. We won't lose anything with fast travels, we never have. 

In general I refrained from writing on the topic until I saw through most of other opinions, being rather hard opinioned myself at the start.

I was and somewhat sill am a staunch supporter of the road RP, seeing that most of my LOTC experience from the past was based around the military - having patrols, doing gate duty, being outgoing to make sure everyone is safe and secure, yadde yadde.

But after having a moment to think, in all honesty - I understand the reasoning behind the concept that FT may be more fitting. It will remove the opportunities for the random encounters and will definitely halt any further chances for a proper road RP, but at the same time well... it makes sense to have the Fast Travel system more than forcing players to walk from hub A to hub B for XX amount of minutes, or be forced to always have a horse on you.

RP wise its a terrible decision in my honest opinion - but LOTC wise it is the best decision. This server is about activity grind as proven through the years. Settlements and nations that can bring the most activity to their region have the biggest chance to survive. Seeing, that no one wants to lose their hours, days, weeks, months of effort they've put into building up their place, it is only a natural thing that they will give up RP opportunities for the sake of ensuring survival of their hard work.

Any road RP was already dying out, any taverns on the roads are a useless addition that don't work much to help the regional activity at the moment. In this case though, I would at the very least suggest thinking of something that will not cut the road out entirely, instead just make things a bit simpler.

For example - Having fast travel only reach a tavern further outside of the settlement or nation - It's a loose idea, which would need far more of thought than just a quick throwaway like I did here, but if done properly, it could perhaps promote at least some chance to both help the activity and at the same time not make the map feel smaller to the point of being absurdly cramped.

If you add the Fast Travel, it will make roads mostly obsolete and additionally it will make the map feel far smaller. It is both good and bad. Using Travel Hubs was a great way to make the map not feel as big and troublesome as they currently are.

Perhaps another way the issue could be solved is - Make sub-traveling hubs - Giving out a loose example on the below image.

unknown.png?width=873&height=609

IN A LOOSE EXPLENATION

People warp from Center Hub to South Hub. In the South Hub there will be Two-Three Carts leading to Active Regions - Not actually direct settlements or nations, but a center point around given region that would be closer to different Active Nations and Settlements. 
 BELOW IS JUST AN EXAMPLE
 In Point 1 we have Balians, old groove, Freeport. In point 2 we have some A and B settlements that are active and present for at least a month or two. In Point 3 we have Vistulia.
 Few groups/settlements can apply for a nearby Sub-Travel Hub after being proven active for more than XY weeks.
 Those Hubs would not have a big no-aggression safety zone, only a more-less big enough one to encompass the sub-hub and 15-25 blocks in every direction.

This way, those hubs will still leave the ability to feel the size of the map, not remove entirely the need to travel to places, but also make those walking paths shorter and more managable.

If given sub-hubs settlements/nations lose their status due to inactivity, the sub-hub will be removed on RP basis of being abandoned and cart owners going out of business.

There @Ark. You got my reply as you asked >:C

15 hours ago, PrettyCuteAnna said:

literally the vast different of people coming to visit was extremely different. 

spoken like a true thought-leader

There is literally no road rp, there is no reason to force people to take their time to trek places when it offers nothing rp wise.  I have a maxed out horse and I still get annoyed to the point I rarely leave my settlement.