[CA Race] Nephilim - The Lesser Dragonkin (Amendment/Addition)

Gamma

As someone who has been interested in the idea of becoming a herald and hopefully a Nephilim one day because it provides the opportunity for some unique roleplay that I haven't dabbled in before, I read some of the rewrites and general lore from time-to-time. I can't comment exactly on how balanced this would be in comparison to some other magics because of my inexperience, however it does seem quite well-written. I do have two main pieces of feedback though.

The first is that there are some inconsistencies between Units required in the spell redlines and in the titling such as with Flamebreath (states 2 then 1) and Corruption Instillment (states 2 then 3). I think it would be better sooner rather than later to clear up these inconsistencies to avoid confusion in future roleplay and therefore avoid arguments. I believe it is only with these two spells.

My second is that given that the Augmented Flame requires them to seek the limits of knowledge, their heritage, etc. It may be more effective to tie those new abilities into the tier system for the Fallalery, giving their appearance more meaning and have their aged appearance be testimony to their experience and knowledge they've uncovered. Perhaps an Augmented spell may be granted as a Nephilim reaches T2 and T3 respectively. Just a suggestion. It'd work either way.

I also want to ask for confirmation with this rewrite if being a Nephilim actively cancels out the ability to learn and/or perform Housemagery now because I believe I have heard of previous Nephilim having the ability to perform it and am curious where this rewrite leaves it.

5 minutes ago, Crevel said:

As someone who has been interested in the idea of becoming a herald and hopefully a Nephilim one day because it provides the opportunity for some unique roleplay that I haven't dabbled in before, I read some of the rewrites and general lore from time-to-time. I can't comment exactly on how balanced this would be in comparison to some other magics because of my inexperience, however it does seem quite well-written. I do have two main pieces of feedback though.

The first is that there are some inconsistencies between Units required in the spell redlines and in the titling such as with Flamebreath (states 2 then 1) and Corruption Instillment (states 2 then 3). I think it would be better sooner rather than later to clear up these inconsistencies to avoid confusion in future roleplay and therefore avoid arguments. I believe it is only with these two spells.

My second is that given that the Augmented Flame requires them to seek the limits of knowledge, their heritage, etc. It may be more effective to tie those new abilities into the tier system for the Fallalery, giving their appearance more meaning and have their aged appearance be testimony to be experience and knowledge they've uncovered. Perhaps an Augmented spell may be granted as a Nephilim reaches T2 and T3 respectively. Just a suggestion. It'd work either way.

I also want to ask for confirmation with this rewrite if being a Nephilim actively cancels out the ability to learn and/or perform Housemagery now because I believe I have heard of previous Nephilim having the ability to perform it and am curious where this rewrite leaves it.

Azdrazi have never been able to use house magic. They cannot actively use their mana towards casting. 

4 minutes ago, Lhindir_ said:

Azdrazi have never been able to use house magic. They cannot actively use their mana. 

I know and it is why I am confused, because I believe that I have heard a recent Nephilim player or two stating that they have Housemagery. No names come to mind other than them being Nephilim players so I could be misremembering; I've just woken up and this post is one of the first things I've read.

5 minutes ago, Crevel said:

I know and it is why I am confused, because I believe that I have heard a recent Nephilim player or two stating that they have Housemagery. No names come to mind other than them being Nephilim players so I could be misremembering; I've just woken up and this post is one of the first things I've read.

no azdrazi have housemagery, they're probably lying or gaslighting as they arent compatible with any mana based magics

and ty for catching those inconsistencies

3 minutes ago, Gamma said:

no azdrazi have housemagery, they're probably lying or gaslighting as they arent compatible with any mana based magics

Probably the case, yeah. Good luck with the rewrite.

2 hours ago, PXY said:

let's hope ST don't try to nerf the base, unchanged spells again

You may be referring to me, though I'm not positive. I made a comment about this:

4 hours ago, Gamma said:

Upon impact, Flamespew will implode into a three block radius of fire upon contact, resulting in second-degree burns.

3 meters radius is 6 meters diameter, that's a lot bigger than realized I think for a ball of solid fire summoned in 3 emotes, and should just be measured down a bit. 3 meters diameter already is a lot, all things considered, but to the credit of Azdrazi they are meant to be fearsome, hard-hitting. 

1 hour ago, Nooblius said:

3 meters radius is 6 meters diameter, that's a lot bigger than realized I think for a ball of solid fire summoned in 3 emotes, and should just be measured down a bit. 3 meters diameter already is a lot, all things considered, but to the credit of Azdrazi they are meant to be fearsome, hard-hitting. 

its unchanged from the current lore noob, also it was a joke abt some1 saying the old write-up seemed like a child wrote it

1 hour ago, Crevel said:

snip

the day you get azdrazi is the day that i actually do it lol

1 hour ago, PXY said:

its unchanged from the current lore noob, also it was a joke abt some1 saying the old write-up seemed like a child wrote it

I know it's unchanged, I think I even wrote as much in my vote- it was still an issue that I noticed. The fact that it's already in there doesn't mean it's safe from criticism.

7 minutes ago, Nooblius said:

I know it's unchanged, I think I even wrote as much in my vote- it was still an issue that I noticed. The fact that it's already in there doesn't mean it's safe from criticism.

well imo, it kind of just balances things out and allows them to have a 'ranged' projectile, long ago it used to have an impact and would be concussive, which ain't the case now or in this write mr noob.

18 minutes ago, Nooblius said:

it's currently the weakest 'ranged' projectile amongst most magics. it can be defended from by wearing armor, shields, and there's even magical wards (etc paladinism) that completely counter it. the flamespew has also been nerfed to hell, its size lowered and has a cooldown once used

2 hours ago, mkaxeman said:

the day you get azdrazi is the day that i actually do it lol

Alex Jones Triggered GIF - Alex Jones Triggered Run GIFs

I'm not going to actively seek it out, but if I were to get offered it in roleplay, I'd probably take it if it makes sense to the character. If you can do it, I'm sure I can.

3 hours ago, Nooblius said:

I understand the concern. Though, given that it takes three emotes to cast the Flamespew spell to begin with and the two emote cooldown preventing fireball spam like you're in Mortal Kombat, I imagine that would give more than enough time for attackers to try distancing themselves from the Nephilim and by extension the fireball. If they do get hit while unprotected, they can be quickly doused and moved away from the flame. If the spell has already existed for a long time, and it hasn't become abused to the point of it needing to be forcibly removed I see no reason why it shouldn't be left in. 

This lore makes me feel...

I notice one particular change in this rewrite, care to comment on the reasons why. . . ?
image.png.3399ec7e4f063dc06e0a14d7657e18e5.png

image.png