[PK] The Rescue and the Repercussion

Ibn Khaldun

7E6XVXIMNAJT1QUr97K40CzCApvr9skAspIxCiY1ighJHAfy3uGU_vn_UO4VYbiIsZZm04vmqzsxcDVfiviGR6sS_uwvS1C58CSKtYKVUQNUffslsfe3q7qYCVVupcrUyrYkBv--Np4WEHcV9nbW2c2m3f4-ErxaGYEvBWFG_wdakJuyXc-gtKSdszWC

THE DEATH OF BRENNUS
𝅘𝅥𝅮𝅗𝅥𝅘𝅥𝅯𝅘𝅥𝅮

"You do charge too little!"

"T'is better t'charge too little t'at t'land knows me for a fair merchant than one looking to leech coins from the countryside," Brennus explained with a cheery tone and graceful grin. He worked his fingers along leather laces and cinched his saddlebags closed as Sarryn and Castiel glossed over their new bought goods. He sat satisfied in his saddle and looked with joy at the others gathered by the great fire kept kindled in Adria's town square.

"There is an emergency in New Vienne!"

Brennus turned his attention as did the others. A woman, Caterina Adelina, had rode her horse ragged into the populated square and bade those willing to help to ride alongside her. A Lechian knight, half-way off the grounds, turned and proclaimed his name as Ser August and swore to aid her. Two, three others chimed that they too will help. Bodbmakos would urge me on, to heroic deed, to harken the call of the wanting. He gave his saddlebag a tug to fix its position and wheeled his own horse around to flank Caterina and her newfound companions. The assembly left for the Aaunian capitol, letting neither forest nor river fords slow them until they reached the open gates of the newly repopulated city.

The cavalry troop passed beneath the gatehouse and broke up with the armed soldiers riding harder and deeper into the city while Caterina and the unarmed took to tending the wounded and the fleeing men and women scattered before the trampling hooves of a mounted highwayman. The Lechian knight took the lead of the armored troop with a lance directing them, Brennus couched a javelin along one arm and an archer by the name of Joseph Vasile took up position behind a colonnade running parallel on the street side across from the beginning combat. The highwayman, nearly riding down another victim before sighting the troop, broke his pursuit off to retreat deeper into New Vienne and towards the city plaza.

"Rabo! Sin bana flēiz adr ekoz!"[1] Brennus chanted as he released his javelin. The missile arced too far to the left and missed as the highwayman reached in the plaza. The Lechian let out a curse before riding out of the way for Brennus to find the highwayman stopped and brandishing a bottle. The knight in his heavy armor riding at full charge careened into a gaudy merchant's cart, one of many in the plaza, and the highwayman tossed the bottle towards the Lechian. The Cingedoz skirmisher, barely armored, made a better change of direction and circled around and past the Lechian who contended with a swift growth of vines enmeshing him into a mess of canvas and splintered wood and horse barding. He brandished a second javelin from the clutch held against the underside of his shield and faced the highwayman.

Joseph had the highwayman's attention and Brennus trained his javelin with a fluid motion from behind his shoulder bringing the javelin to rest level with his head. A second commotion goaded the highwayman to begin his approach towards the archer, that of the injured and the efforts to pull them inside shops and houses lining the street between the city plaza and gates. He released his javelin and let out a choked yelp of glee, the javelin struck true but did little to stagger his target. He broke into a gallop as the highwayman paused and regathered himself to proceed his course. He gritted his teeth as he felt for his falx and unworked it from its sheath, holding it up over his head as he set his course to intercept his target before reaching the colonnade where Joseph shot from.

Even if I could not have as many fabled stories as Bodbmakos, I fight as my father fought, against a foe as he did in Kivdrona. The braying of horses warned their riders of the impact, Brennus did little to brace for it and let his weight shift against the highwayman as the horses slammed awkwardly together. He drove the edge of his falx between a shoulder-pauldron and helmet and bowed his legs in an effort to keep himself saddled. The horses no sooner collided than they rode in separate directions with the tribesman pulling away his falx with a look of surprise and the highwayman sent past the archer out of reach and gripping his shoulder. That was neither flesh nor iron. Brennus looked to his falx and found an inch along the blade dented and coated in dust and debris.

"I am Maxx Baitman," the highwayman cried out with a laugh not giddy enough to suggest mere lunacy, but betraying pained surprise. He continued towards the gates slowly, rubbing the earthen-colored divot where the falx met between shoulder and neck.

"You any good at shooting that bow on horseback?" Brennus questioned as he circled in front of Joseph. The archer joined Brennus and mounted the horse in response. The two of them turned and found Maxx crying out in Elven, clutched fist over mouth and eyes fixated on a ring of gold bedecked with a ruby. The two broke off into a gallop towards him. They watched as Maxx brandished a lance and straightened his own steed as if readying to charge.

"I don't like the look of that ring," Joseph muttered. Brennus kicked at his gelding's flanks.

"I can't joust with a falx, you'll need to cripple his horse before we meet!" Brennus exclaimed as he steered his horse onward.

A fireball emanated from the highwayman's ring and catapulted towards the pair. The gelding reared as flames felt for horsehair and ensnared it and the forwardmost rider. Brennus yelled in pain and saw his ochre-colored mantle and the sleeves of his tunic burn away as he fell backwards. He leaned his head against the cobblestone and saw Joseph sprawled out three feet back. He rolled onto his side and saw Maxx disappear into an alley nearer the city gates than them. People began to peek past the jambs of shop windows and the frames of doorways out into the street. Caterina and the man nearly slain before the plaza combat came out to help Brennus and Joseph up.

A reminiscent cry in Elven called out from that same alley that Maxx slipped through. Brennus motioned with his fore- and middle finger spaced apart for Joseph to go to the opposite side of the street and for him to continue towards the alley. He ducked into niches and stepped into shop galleries. One such shop he entered appeared well-stocked and elegantly curated with all manners of gems and jewels arrayed, more than he could think a name for. Wealth I brought to my tribe, as did my fatherIt is just as necessary as great deeds, the one to be spent on the needs of our members and the other to be sent forth to gather up more members - the sum of the tribe. He tore himself from his fleeting distraction and stepped out of the shop.

Brennus saw the archer shouting before he heard anything. He turned to find Maxx closing in on him with a couched lance. Would that this last stand earn me a song by the bards preserving me a hero - one of the last sons of a waning tribe. He braced his shield and held his falx overhand like a short spear. No sound reached his ear as the barb of the lance splintered shield and exited the head of the Cingedoz tribesman.

Spoiler

Translation

1. Zeal! This enemy flees before us!

OOC: 

I always love conflict RP, though I am not wholly accustomed to all the rule changes happening fairly often with CRP. It was an incredible fight that I really enjoyed and knew it deserved a PK for. Kudos to everyone such as @Nectorist, @kazoo, @Unwillingly, @Mykei, @TimberBuff, @libertyybelle

Within the corridor of a seaside port, a man sits adjacent of a hearth. Aching in both mind and body, a bear pelt lay draped over his form, offering solace where other creature-comforts could not. It reminds him of home. 

Caterina sat in the tavern, only a few meters from where she had found the man's lifeless body. She took a moment to pray, for it had been the first death she had witnessed in her young life. 

"I only wish I could have saved him."

Spoiler

You absolutely crushed the RP, thank you for including me in your post. :)

Joseph Vasile’s fight with the brigand had continued for the greater part of the day- as many as three days- a few local children of Vienne would claim. Although the duel between the two had ended in a draw, Brennus’s sacrifice had not been in vain. Twice he had saved Joseph’s life that day, and even his death allowed a slim opening for the young man to dismount the bandit. Dozens more, the wounded and the unarmed, were saved by the man’s sacrifice. Although he remained nameless to most of them, there was no doubt he would remain in their prayers for some time, most of all Joseph Vasile’s.

In a room overlooking the sea, moonlight gives a woman the light she needs to properly find a place upon the walls for her new paintings. She fondly remembers the merchant, even though he did charge much too little.