A Moment of Maternity [PK]

b72b72f9f1944b62d4a8da31c8d015fd.jpg

[An artist's peaceful rendition of Astrid and her son, Matthias]

The day Astrid Parvana Rosiliya Colborn was born was a stormy one, with her first impression on the world was a blood-filled cough. Weak lungs and poor health plagued her youth, though it never squashed her devotion to music. Her first instrument, the violin. Her first song, a wheeze. Thankfully, as days went on, her health and skills improved. She performed, played, and taught through her melodies. Sadly, every song must come to an end.

The day Astrid’s voice could no longer reach her highest note was a grave one. The woman declined until she was once again bedridden, trapped to the very pillows that imprisoned her childhood. Pale skin, sunken cheeks, and a frail figure signaled the worsening of the woman’s condition. There was no cure, and the doctor assured her of little hope. Still, her song was not finished. She craved a family.

The day Astrid’s pregnancy announcement was greeted by a frown from her doctor, she knew she had a choice. She was weak, and only had the strength for one person. Her or her child. The choice was obvious, and she shut herself back into her pillowy prison to keep what little strength she had left. 

The day Astrid Rosiliya Colborn Barclay's child was born was a sunny one. A warm afternoon, with colorful birds littering the sky. Rays shone down on Matthias' rosy cheeks as he slumbered peacefully.

Peace.

Peace.

A peace Astrid longed for as she rested her head.

Peace.

Peace.

A peace Astrid recieved.

----------

The woman’s remaining time was filled with writing. Lots of it. Some songs, some notes, but especially a lot of letters. Messages to everyone that had impacted her life.

Dear Mamej,

Spoiler

I’m sorry, mother. I have given you the greatest grievance of having to bury your child. I cannot thank you enough for everything my entire life. I realize we were not as close as we were when I was little. I suppose adulthood is very busying. I regret the majority of our time together being spent with you nursing me. I’m sad I will not have much time to spend being a mother myself, so I ask that you extend some of that gracious energy to my child. I hope everyone loves them as deeply as I do already.

Dear Papej,

Spoiler

I’m sorry I could not be here longer. I am glad to see you so soon, but I regret not achieving more before meeting you. I hope what I have done in this time makes you proud. See you soon, father.

Dear Carolus Colborn,

Spoiler

Thank you for being a father figure when I lost mine. Your support kept me going for these years, and I am grateful for you. I am sorry for not achieving more. I wish I had just a bit more time. More time to make you proud. More time to show you the woman you helped raise.

Dear Brendell and Nikolai Colborn,

Spoiler

You were both my protectors and heroes, despite how much of a bother you were at times. You have saved my life. I’m sorry that we have encountered this problem that you cannot save me from. Please protect my child. I regret that I could not grant them siblings. Instead, I pray they will have you both as amazing uncles to look up to.

Dear Anabel Colborn,

Spoiler

You have been nothing short of a saint. I thank you for your support during this time. I thank you for being a shoulder to lean on. I thank you for the time you spent nursing my heavy mind and heart. Please do not let me be forgotten.

Dear Konstanz Barclay,

Spoiler

I am sorry for leaving you so soon, my love. We did not have enough time together being husband and wife, and I am sure we did not have long to be parents together. Still, I pray day and night that our child grows well. I know you will care for them and love them with all of your heart. Please, cherish them enough for the both of us. 

I know you have told me that you only love and adore me, but do not be afraid to fall in love again. I want our family to have nothing short of absolute happiness, and for our child to grow up with the love of two parents. I do not wish for the devotion to a dead woman to hold you back from any future happinesses. Do not live as a widow, but instead as a strong knight, devoted father, and honorable man.

You made my remaining days absolutely magnificent, and I am grateful for having you by my side to the end. Even as a lie in my bed, tired and helpless, I feel happy looking back on our memories. Two kids, enjoying music together. Dancing, playing, and making melodies to carry through time. Share our songs with our child. Tell them how much I love them. If they are ever sad, hug them with enough strength for both of us, and hum them a lullaby.

You are a beautiful man. I love you.

Dear Virgil the Darkspawn,

Spoiler

I’m sorry. I’m sorry I did not have you killed a second time. I’m sorry I trusted you, and let you steal my flesh. Congratulations, you have won this battle. Like the nasty darkspawn you are, you have outlived me. However, you have failed the war. Your only achievement will be your disownment. You will find no wife, and your children will be filthy bastards. I wish you nothing more than the absolute worst, you pest. May you be damned by GODAN himself. May GODAN forgive my french. F- you.

589cf9fbf4380e77c213e034970f23c4.jpg

[A portrait of Astrid's final moments]

Spoiler

I want to thank everyone for the opportunities granted to Astrid. I am so grateful for having the chance to play her, and I am sad it had to end so soon. Unfortunately, due to inactivity and real-world things, I wanted to cut back on the number of characters I would be playing. Thank you all for taking time to help me build and develop this character. It has been wonderful. Again, I am so upset to see her go, but I am so glad to have played her. I hope I have done so well, and that people and characters have good memories of times with him. Minus Virgil. You know what you did. >:[

Thank you all!

Apon hearing the news of her daughters death, the sickly grand elder broke down in tears, sealing herself in her room. the only people she spoke to was her grand daughter and son. sealing herself away from the outer world to give her time to grieve the loss of her daughter. 

Edited by Lmcfc

Brendell did not speak to anyone, not his wife nor his children, for three days. When he did eventually emerge, he gathered up each of his children one by one, Kajsa, Nikoletta, Iduna, and Lauritz, and spent the day with them. No longer would he spend every waking hour at work, or toiling over stewardry paperwork up in the office. His own father had done so, and it had affected him far more than he'd ever admit. 

One night, too late to recall the hour, he'd mutter aloud to his wife. "Ea think eam going to retire."

"Astrid!" Katerina chirped excitedly as her younger sister joined her in the Seven Skies. "Ea missed eym so much! We did nejt get to spend ein lot of time together... shall we make it up now?" The long deceased Colborn asked, extending a hand to the woman.

From afar with a simple smile etched onto her lips the recently deceased Colborn approached the arriving Astrid with many goats in tow, once she was welcomed by many warm faces. “Like my modir you shall nejt see your child grow alongside them. But from above you will see them loved and care for- our kin below will care for them. Until they too, join us. Come, little goat.” 

The Countess of Malkovya grips the letter sent to her with wrinkled hands. Tears slip down her pale old cheeks; she had known this would come soon enough, but even so ... "Forlati mik, my dear..." She whispers, "I should have ... Spent more time. Forlat.."

27 minutes ago, Nilyeet said:

Brendell did not speak to anyone, not his wife nor his children, for three days. When he did eventually emerge, he gathered up each of his children one by one, Kajsa, Niloketta, Iduna, and Lauritz, and spent the day with them. No longer would he spend every waking hour at work, or toiling over stewardry paperwork up in the office. His own father had done so, and it had affected him far more than he'd ever admit. 

One night, too late to recall the hour, he'd mutter aloud to his wife. "Ea think eam going to retire."

Iduna Colborn would weep for her aunt. though staying close to her father not letting go of him.  

Spoiler

it so sad T-T

Ser Konstanz remained solemn and out of public view, his life now filled with despair at the costly loss of his dear wife.