THE LONELY CHILD: A Handful of Observations About LOTC's Gender Bias

esotericas

Personally, I am not here for a big show - I am here just to state what has been happening with me, as I have played about three female personas. Two starting off as children (elves), another starting out as a 30 year old (elf). Back to the point, although, but I have never really started off any conversation. Starting in Norland with my dark elven woman, was I interacted in first and almost a day later participated in a fun event where I had been referred to by many. 

Second being 'Lychee', where I was sitting in Lurin for the first time with the persona rather late in the afternoon. Such being about 1-3 AM EST. I was also interacted first, and got to go into 'CRP' to try out for a guild. It was generally amazing and funny each time. I would tell about the other one, but it is similar to the last two.

Even if I were to be ignored, I would start RP first and go to the people who actually care rather than people who just want to push me off to the side. There is no use staying, as you can make yourself at home and test other places if you struggle in just one; for there are mutiple. But, for the current persona I am on, I have gotten approached first by a number that surpassed the rest. By far Dasyra has been my best persona and yet she is still a child. 

And I have heard some people generally speaking how it makes them feel uncomfortable to RP with child personas; both due to the pedophilia caught in the server and the fact that normally those children personas are people twenty through thirty years of age pretending to be a child. I must admit, I do see this clear and I understand it. Even if I am not even an adult yet, nor have escaped high school, I understand the concern and I am not going to put anything else to that. I am glad people space themselves out when thinking about that reason, actually, and see it as valid; as it stops any concern and either way both groups have their entertaining and comfortable RP.

Honestly depends where you are, I would think. It tests the group of people in that location more than overall roleplay genders and OOC involved thoughts or directions. (If this has already been said, then my bad. I have not read the last 3 pages of responses.) Although for whoever made it to the end of this, I wish you to have a good day.

Edited by ɮʊռ
Must put another topic in.

Your topic is something I have had on my mind, but I've never been able to put it down to words until now;

Many guys on this server fear RPing with children due to its implications, including myself. It does not matter what the RP is about, there's an unspoken rule about even doing it, is what I feel. Personally, I experience this with both genders. But it's by far weirder for a 50-some man RPing with a 9 year old child in the square, it's the sort of thing I raise eyebrows at. I don't do it because I am a misogynist, but because I have a universal belief that all children should be protected from predators.

Why don't I RP with children then, if I want to protect them? — Because I don't wanna be frowned at either.

Definitely some eye-openers in here for me though, and I think moving forward I will be making a greater effort to initiate RP. I'm usually the one getting initiated on (very rarely), or I schedule RP through Discord. Thank you for making this post, think a lot more people should be looking at this and taking notes to include everyone and reflect.

Probably repeating what others have said previously in the post but sorta just laying it out here.

Y'know I don't think I realized until I read this post but I think i've RP'd with more female child characters then male

It just depends on where you go.

In placed like Haense, Vortice or even like Numendil I feel like I can reliably pull up to any group and atleast get a "Hello".

I tried that in Celianor for example and promptly got told to get bent.

If people are ignoring you, stop trying to give them roleplay. Hell come down around Haense or Numendil and I'll make sure you get rp. Goes for anyone in this thread looking to make a story together. Doors always open on my end.

On 9/21/2023 at 3:55 AM, Hunnic said:

I must ask... how does this comment contribute to the conversation at hand? 
While I am very sorry to hear this happened to you- I can't really connect your post to anything esotericas pointed out.

Sexism, primarily. Being treated differently as a perceived boy than a girl.

thought that was pretty obvious 

I agree their is obvious bias. I have played female personas in Aaun since its founding and found that unlike others who were doing very similar to me. They men personas get more recognition. They can also stay relevant longer.

If you play human females you should just pk at age 40, because so many people just think you are worthless and past your youth irp.

On a side note, the issue with Galina may be less about gender, and more off culture. I started my time on the server in Haense, then moved to an Aaun main. In both countries(not all) but most communities are rather inclusive. If you aren't their friend ooc/or have politics to do with them you will get ignored. 

In the past this issue has drawn people of my community away, because it makes the whole country seem rather harsh and unfriendly. 

I hope you find better luck with your persona, and feel free to reach out to me if you ever want our personas to meet!

20 hours ago, __WaterFox__ said:

Ngl I've heard than a few players of various genders ooc complain about how their human female characters were basically used to pop out heirs then were ignored

This happens so much. The worst part about it is that it means you are putting in all that time as that person as a little girl. Just to get married, get treated bad irp. Usually I hear of it perplexing to the point they just shelve the personas.