[Guide] Addict Roleplay: Part 2

ThatFunkyBunch

Addiction Roleplay Guide Part 2.

Spoiler

A while back I made a part-one guide, which was more meant for me to gain a semblance of understanding. So Part 2 will do much the same, serving as a means of venting while hopefully helping others realize the gravity of addiction on their mineman persona. I can’t deny that, it makes me have to inhale copium when I hear people giggling about their persona being addicted, which is fully upon me, and no one else. I detail briefly in Part 1 about recovery, but this piece will go more in-depth on addiction itself. Lacking in speaking of recovery until I get anxious again and type up Part 3.

In the following passages, you will see many quotes, which have been altered to be more gender neutral and certain words replaced with Addict

So our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the addict is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though they usually doesn’t think so.” AA. Page 60

“Do you want to know the Addicts least favourite word? No.”

Spoiler

These observations would be academic and pointless if our friend never took the first drink, thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion.

Therefore, the main problem of the addict centres in the mind, rather than in the body. If you ask them why they started on that last bender, the chances are they will offer you any one of a hundred alibis. Sometimes these excuses have a certain plausibility, but none of them really makes sense in the light of the havoc an alcoholic's drinking bout creates.

They sound like the philosophy of the person who, having a headache, beats themselves on the head with a hammer so that they can't feel the ache. If you draw this fallacious reasoning to the attention of an alcoholic, they will laugh it off, or become irritated and refuse to talk.

Once in a while, they may tell the truth. And the truth, strange to say, is usually that they have no more idea why they took that first drink than you have.” AA: Pg 23.

A spiritual malady, then, reduces to a sense of otherness felt by many addicts that prevents them from feeling at peace with themselves and the world around them.

All addicts suffer from what is referred to as a Spiritual Malady. This manifests from an early age and does not directly correlate to substance use. We’ll brush up briefly on the most common Spiritual Maladies. This is not to say, every addict has only one or these, or all. Like every human, it is more of a variety.

Spoiler

These would be academic and pointless if our friend never took the first drink, thereby setting the terrible cycle in motion.

Therefore, the main problem of the addict centres in the mind, rather than in the body. If you ask them why they started on that last bender, the chances are they will offer you any one of a hundred alibis. Sometimes these excuses have a certain plausibility, but none of them really makes sense in the light of the havoc an alcoholic's drinking bout creates.

They sound like the philosophy of the person who, having a headache, beats themselves on the head with a hammer so that they can't feel the ache. If you draw this fallacious reasoning to the attention of an alcoholic, they will laugh it off, or become irritated and refuse to talk.

Once in a while, they may tell the truth. And the truth, strange to say, is usually that they have no more idea why they took that first drink than you have.” AA: Pg 23.

This pesky notion that the addict must be in control of their life and the lives of those around them. To the smallest details, to grander schemes. The Addict possess the inability to accept Life, on Lifes terms. Those Addicts with control issues (nearly all of the Addicts who walk this planet) find that whilst they believe they are acting selflessly, are causing more harm than good. In a roleplay perspective, this can stem from the Addict needing to control those they call family and friends to how things are placed. It would not be uncommon for one to enter a friend's home and simply, re-arrange a table setting, for they believe, their vision for their friend's home would be most welcome. Control does not have to extend to all facets of life, but undoubtedly will manifest itself at the most inopportune times.   “
Most people try to live by self-propulsion.” AA. Pg:60

Spoiler

Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show; is forever trying to arrange the lights, the ballet, the scenery and the rest of the players in their own way. If their arrangements would only stay put, if only people would do as they wished, the show would be great. Everybody, including themselves, would be pleased. Life would be wonderful. In trying to make these arrangements our actor may sometimes be quite virtuous. They may be kind, considerate, patient, generous; even modest and self-sacrificing. On the other hand, they may be mean, egotistical, selfish and dishonest. But, as with most humans, they are more likely to have varied traits

What usually happens? The show doesn’t come off very well. They begin to think life doesn’t treat them right. They still decide to exert themselves more. They become, on the next occasion, still more demanding or gracious, as the case may be. Still, the play does not suit them. Admitting they may be somewhat at fault, they are sure that other people are more to blame. They become angry, indignant, self-pitying. What is their basic trouble? Are they not really, a self-seeker even when trying to be kind? Are they not a victim of the delusion that they can wrest satisfaction and happiness out of this world if they only manage well? Is it not evident to all the rest of the players that these are the things they want? And do not their actions make each of them wish to retaliate, snatching all they can get out of the show? Are they not, even in their best moments, a producer of confusion rather than harmony?” AA. Page 60

Many Addicts suffer from the inability to emerge from themselves. They find standing in crowds makes their skins crawl. They can not stand to be around family and friends. Unable to speak, sitting in a chair staring off at a wall. Personas which bear extreme Insecurities may be hard to roleplay. This goes beyond social awkwardness. A prime example is a Priest of Canon who stands in the back of their church. Their hands shakingly grasp a bottle. They are about to face over a hundred people in a sermon. Sweat runs down their head. All have anxiety, what makes the addict different in this scene? The addict will use a substance of any degree to mask this. To snuff it down and allow themselves to step forward and face the crowd. Sitting down for dinner with friends is the most gruelling task. Inflicting dread and paranoia.

Spoiler

And again this terrible feeling of awkwardness and the, you know, the forks and the knives and the napkins. Oh, I was in an awful case. And then somebody hands me a Bronx Cocktail. And I drank it, and the whole face of the universe instantly changed. And I, who had been tongue-tied, could talk freely. Ah yes, I was part of life at last. Because it released me from myself. From this gnawing sense of inferiority.” Bill Willison: Co-Founder of AA: Speaking on his first sip of Alcohol.

One of the more complex Spiritual Maladies. As it ties into all others. The addict is unable to move beyond themselves. Regardless of the situation. It has to affect them in some way. From a law passed in their city that, in reality, will barely affect people they know. To the death of someone's friends. The sorrow and issues of others become the Addict's sorrow and afflictions. This ego-centertic person cannot separate themselves from others' pain, and joy. Both the positive and the negative. It must surely be the universe's divine plan for them to interject themselves at any given chance. Do these people not know who the Addict thinks they are? Are they not placed in this life to serve the Addict to some degree, even when the Addict believes they are being sincere? There is always a deeper plague. One of value to the Addict. One of selfishness

Spoiler

Our actor is self-centred—ego-centric, as people like to call it nowadays

Selfishness—self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. Driven by a hundred forms of fear, self-delusion, self-seeking, and self-pity, we step on the toes of our fellows and they retaliate. Sometimes they hurt us, seemingly without provocation, but we invariably find that at some time in the past we have made decisions based on self which later placed us in a position to be hurt.” AA. Pg: 60

This is best explained, the complexity of this Malady, in the following scene. Which came from the Movie Clean and Sober (1988)

Spoiler

Daryl, a man early in recovery,  has been seeing a woman for a short time. He believes he can help her stay sober as he stays sober. Eventually, she returns to her ex to start that relationship. A few weeks later, Daryl, calls this woman. Named Charlie. They argue, and it ends with Charlie getting in her car to drive over to Daryls' house.

Unfortunately, she never makes it. Dying in a car crash. The scene jumps ahead to Daryl, showing up at his sponsor's house, Richard. Richards grandkids are playing outside as he puts up Christmas lights. Daryl approaches and begins to break down crying.

Prompting Richard to pause, as he looks down at Daryl from his ladder.

You think you did this to her, don’t you, Daryl?” “That is selfish, egotistical thinking. That you have any power over the actions of another Addict Daryl. You don’t even have power over your actions.” “Selfish, self-centred thinking. Let’s go inside the house.” 

The Addict, and this stems to all addicts, cannot be satisfied by normal means. In a world such as LoTC, there are many different things to be addicted to in the form of substances and beyond. A ruler will never have enough land. A religious zealot will never have enough followers. A Marauder will never be able to inflict enough violence to state themselves. A parent will never feel like they have taught their kids enough. A Paladin will never be able to properly install Order. A druid will never be able to sway the mortal races to adhere to nature. A shaman will never be able to get all to serve the spirits. And the Addict will never have enough substance to quell their emotions and return to a state of utter numbness. They are discontent with the hand life gave them. Unable to live life on life's terms. Making them irritable, and restless. They strive to quell this bottomless pit, ever shovelling more and more until their substance use begins to kill them, as it does all who continue to use. One is never enough, and a thousand is few too many.

“They are restless, irritable and discontented unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks -- drinks which they see others taking with impunity.” AA: The Doctors Opinion

Nearly all addicts are compulsive people who act on their first thoughts. They cannot properly engage in long-term planning. This is mostly due to the mid-brain in the real world. A little part of the brain whose task is survival. In addition, the mid-brain begins to overpower the Frontal Lobe. So the base, primitive thought begins to rule the addict, not the other way around. This also plays into the extreme desire for instant gratification. Unable to cope with the fact, things take time. That the world does not move at the pace they believe it should. More often than not, the addict will seek instant gratification. Waiting on a letter from the local guard captain if your request for rest leave has been accepted. Constantly squirming with anxiety. Why don’t you head on down to the tavern and drown that twitching restlessness out with a couple of mugs? Or a dozen.

I won’t be covering them all, but a few deserve a shout-out on this page.
One of the most addictive substances on Mundas. I equate this to Fentanyl in the real world. One addicted to Life Force has very slim chances of recovery. Necromancers and other undead require this substance to survive. The cravings go beyond simply feeling better. It is food, and starvation drives one to insanity. Similarly, this can be applied to Corc and their need for blood. Tasting it is intoxicating. Currently, I have not found any lore talking about one Overdosing on Life-Force.

Life Force is unique, in its ability to be consumed by non-undead and non-necrotic beings. Producing an intense high. I’ve seen little of the rulings about withdrawal for non-necrotic and undead beings addicted to this. So I offer a general run down. Much like Opium withdrawal.

Diarrhea and vomiting. Nausea. Tachycardia (increased heart rate). Muscle or bone pain. Hypertension (high blood pressure). Insomnia. Anxiety. Increased body temperature. Sweating.Chills.
I equate this as a rather potent Psilocybin mixed with Adderall. Oracle Wood itself, states it offers Clear-headedness. Which, in my opinion, makes it one of the most dangerous substances to be addicted to in the world of Mudnas. The implication is one, is rid of anxiety, fears and worries. Bringing focus on what is before them.  I can see many an artist, religious clergy members, blacksmiths, alchemists, and people in positions of power using this substance to quell the mind and bring forth what they believe to be a better self. Making it dangerous, for they will come to rely upon it fully. It isn’t hard at all to imagine that something that relieves anxiety and brings focus becomes their only driving force.

Immediate effects include a sense of warmth pervading the entire body, and a sense of invulnerability or superior strength. It also makes the user more energetic. The drug builds up an immediate addiction that is overwhelming and hard to break. If chewed, the weed softens the teeth and blackens the gums. If smoked, the smoke leads to lung damage and pained breathing. Once it is ingested, the user has an extreme urge for another 'hit'- however, they still retain all free choice in the matter. Once a second dose is administered, the drug will begin to play a larger and larger part in the user’s mind. They will constantly crave a dose, and will start to show signs of withdrawal.”  Its symptoms of withdrawal bring the user back to it nearly every time. It resembles the real effects of alcoholic withdrawal. Which can lead to seizures and death.  (Small bit of science here. The reason why narcotics that induce shaking can be deadly if they do, induce muscle twitching and shaking. This is because the dopamine forced into the brain is so strong, that when the narcotic exits the body. The brain begins to try and speed back up to the state it was operating under the influence. This is what can lead to seizure and death.)

Frankly, one of the best-written narcotics I’ve ever seen on the server. The lore speaks for itself. My congratulations extend out to Mickdude2 for writing and submitting this peace.  
Just ST signed Psilocybin. It would offer no unique withdrawal but could become addictive to personas that often seek to escape reality. Artists might struggle with this one, as they use this herb to induce hallucinations for their art works.

This ST herb found in the wild acts as a natural sleep aid. Personas with insomnia might find themselves become easy victims of its sleep-inducing effects and if used often enough, might find themselves unable to sleep without this herb. An acceptable addiction to the world for its effects is minor.  In turn, they might grow a tolerance to Javens. Seeking more powerful substances

A less-friendly sleep aid. It induces a calm in the body which can be dangerous for personas that seek the use of narcotics to escape their natural anxieties. The side effects are a splitting headache which urges the user to use more. Two rapid dosages will induce sleep. Easily arguably a stronger sleep aid than Javens. Users of Javens might ‘Graduate’ from its use to swap over to Nightsap. There is no current lore about withdraw being deadly beyond the standard headache.

A dangerous substance that not only, gives hallucinations but imposes a sense of clear unity with the entire world. This makes it one of the more dangerous substances to be addicted too, for its addiction appears purely mental. Characters riddled with anxiety will find themselves drawn to this, there is no current lore about how long the effects last, nor withdrawal, so all withdrawal can be assumed to be purely in the mind. Anxiety and fear over takes the mind once again after its effects fade.

Another one of the more dangerous substances to get addicted too.  Consuming welcomes warm bubbly effects. Whilst it induces Mania and an irrational state. Unstable, numb, or deranged personas might find themselves drawn to this substance as an excuse to act out and lose control. Those who are numb might use this substance as a way to enforce artificial emotions upon themselves.

That’s all for now folks. Thanks for reading if you did. Sometime in the future, I’ll do a Part 3 about recovery. The list of special substances might be updated on this page depending upon what is submitted and accepted into lore. This is to help serve not only to help someone understand addiction, but help roleplayers that have addicts, take their addiction just a wee bit more serious.

Sincerly, to all those that have had to deal with me. That Brass Monkey. That Funky Monkey.

(It’s me. I am inhale copium, seether of worlds.) div widget

will this guide work with gambling addictions

1 minute ago, ferdaboy said:

will this guide work with gambling addictions

Yes. Gamblers follow the same 12 twelve steps. As detailed in their own Gamblers Anonymous. Simply replace the words Substance and Narcotic use with Gambling

nothing on pipeweed

minus infinity!!!11!!1!!111231!!

Addressing the profound darkness of addiction, it's a relentless force that drives individuals to destruction, fostering a cycle of taking, manipulating, and consuming everything in its path. Reflecting on my first character, Kypris, who was a self-insert grappling with addiction, I initially shied away from portraying the gritty reality of substance dependence. Methanphetamine and Fentanyl withdrawal is actually hell on Earth, AND I was already playing a Shade? I chose the insomnia redline.

Over time, I've observed characters labeled as "addicts" over the years, yet seldom does addiction serve as a central pillar shaping their identity and narrative. Unlike my gender identity or abuse trauma, addiction has been the defining force molding my life, seeping into every aspect of my personality. I resonate with the relentless dissatisfaction, the absence of foresight, and the persona of the fun, social, party-goer masking the underlying struggle.

For those who've experienced addiction, it's more than a mere aspect; it intertwines with our core. It's not akin to a peanut allergy; it permeates every facet of our existence. Encountering a depiction of addiction on this server that captures its essence felt profoundly validating. Your nuanced understanding and depiction of the struggles with addiction resonate, and it's admirable to witness someone who grasps the complexities and perhaps navigates their own journey through such challenges. 🤍

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”

4 minutes ago, 𝙻𝚞𝚟 XO said:

Addressing the profound darkness of addiction, it's a relentless force that drives individuals to destruction, fostering a cycle of taking, manipulating, and consuming everything in its path. Reflecting on my first character, Kypris, who was a self-insert grappling with addiction, I initially shied away from portraying the gritty reality of substance dependence. Methanphetamine and Fentanyl withdrawal is actually hell on Earth, AND I was already playing a Shade? I chose the insomnia redline.

Over time, I've observed characters labeled as "addicts" over the years, yet seldom does addiction serve as a central pillar shaping their identity and narrative. Unlike my gender identity or abuse trauma, addiction has been the defining force molding my life, seeping into every aspect of my personality. I resonate with the relentless dissatisfaction, the absence of foresight, and the persona of the fun, social, party-goer masking the underlying struggle.

For those who've experienced addiction, it's more than a mere aspect; it intertwines with our core. It's not akin to a peanut allergy; it permeates every facet of our existence. Encountering a depiction of addiction on this server that captures its essence felt profoundly validating. Your nuanced understanding and depiction of the struggles with addiction resonate, and it's admirable to witness someone who grasps the complexities and perhaps navigates their own journey through such challenges. 🤍

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”

Thank you. It's extremely heart warming to know I'm not the only one that struggles with addiction. My depiction comes from personal experience as an alcoholic.  ❤️

"We claim Spiritual Progress, rather than Spiritual Perfection

14 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

nothing on pipeweed

minus infinity!!!11!!1!!111231!!

Pipe weed, totally blanked it got accepted. I'll edit the piece later about thoughts on Pipe Weed

i dont need an rp guide for this since i struggle every day with a very difficult addiction (lotc)