Goodnight Sweet Prince

"I will make sure Leon does not find himself stranded in his new duties...You ought..."

Gottfried spoke almost as if it was a matter of fact, though his steely veneer faltering as sorrow took hold of him.

"Brother... may you rest well in the seven skies..."

He spoke softly as he looked on at his now lifeless younger brother, teary-eyed.

Alfred wandered the Keep of Kanunsberg, following the battle outside Velen. There was no doubt he was late - maybe, despite his lack of affection for combat, if he'd showed earlier, Ferdinand would have lived. Nevertheless, he wasn't intending to dwell on it - just a simple oddity, only a week following his inheritance. He was promoted with the title of High Chief.

Spoiler

"It looks like we are all going to die a martyr's or hero's death, Ferdinand".

Heinrich II Lothar, the late Prince of Merryweather, said to his cousin as he entered the Seven Skies

Ferdinand Alexander Barclay smiled proudly from within the skies, holding high hopes for his sons.

The fallen sons of Reinmar chanted,

"Wer Rastet, Der Rostet!"

For is there a more glorious death, than to fall in battle. The Prince had done his ancestors proud.

Spoiler

1280px-Juana_la_Loca_de_Pradilla.jpg?ex=

Amid her chambers, a grieving Princess wept endlessly. Not once had she loved anyone besides her husband, and not once had she felt the need to. Yet something lingered at heart, and it stung, repeatedly. Perhaps, one day, she had wished for such a death. All who knew her knew how much she lamented the lack of a present Prince, yet she never left. She endured for the love they once cherished and the fruit of such a love: her dear Leon, the little Albert, the awkward Gertrude. 

Any servant who had attempted to enter the room and aid the Princess had all met terrible fates, for she had become crazed and no soothing word may ever pacify such a fury. Chairs were commonly thrown, and along with them came bed sheets, jars, and God knows what else. Only after a week’s sleepless rest had she found some sense. She stood from her bed, and all of her jewels were placed on her desk. She made sure to preserve what little thing remained of their union; the reforged amulet, wedding band, and whatnot. She had not once thought he could die, not even during the battles he had fought in while in service to the Lord God. She had never thought her husband to be the type to fall in war, no.

After grief, came the guilt. “Maybe, if I went too…” she thought to herself quite often, pulling at her white hair. “Perhaps, if I told him to stay…” the Adunian’s head fell between her hands, desperation filling the air. She did not know what would happen next, or if she could ever forgive herself, yet her heart had felt all too much pain in the recent year. All she could feel was the urge to escape, run away, be free. But while the heart longed for liberty, the mind spoke of their children. She could not possibly leave Leon alone with the aged Brandt, who had long gone senile. Although it would be quite the struggle, Helena of Formindon decided to push through and carry on with the life she deserved. 

“Reserve me a space up there, my dear.” she spoke to a newly lit candle, a smile pressed on her lips. 

“Ruhe in Frieden, Ferdi.”

“May the prince never no sorrow in the skies.”  Wilhelm spoke softly as he stood silently for a time. In a show of respect. “Wer Rastet, Der Rostet, good prince I shall see you in the skies when I have done all there is for me to do.”

The aging Landser Highlander, Hildibrand Brawn, stood beside Wilhelm (@Irishmanmichael) as he also showed his respect for the fallen Grand Prince. “With ‘he time we ‘ave left, we will see our people shine ‘rightly now an’ after ‘his bloody war.. Wer Rastet, Der Rostet.” He spoke before saluting to no one in particular just a sign of respect.

Brandt, once the former Grand Prince and now a man of the cloth solemnly looks up to the skies, seeking the will of his Master, who had decreed that a father should outlive the son. There, he saw a new star appear within the tapestry of the night's blanket.