[✗] [Creature Lore] Battle Ferrets

VoidTermnia

These are amazing. I would sell my soul to have them in my life.

If battle ferrets has million fans, then I'm one of them.
If battle ferrets has one fan, then I'm THAT ONE.
If battle ferrets has no fans, that means I'm dead. +1 I love this!

Questions though, can they be given light armor like leather wrappings or thin plates tied with leather straps around them? What’s their carrying capacity if they hold anything? 

5 minutes ago, Turbo_Dog said:

If battle ferrets has million fans, then I'm one of them.
If battle ferrets has one fan, then I'm THAT ONE.
If battle ferrets has no fans, that means I'm dead. +1 I love this!

Questions though, can they be given light armor like leather wrappings or thin plates tied with leather straps around them? What’s their carrying capacity if they hold anything? 

aa thanks for the support! they can wear armor, and probably heavier armor like steel. they can also probably hold roughly 10 pounds of stuff? (im bad at guesstimating weight)

Creature bloat is not a problem as-is... If there are too many lore pages, they can just be compiled into AWESOME creature compendiums. 

That being said, I feel like “big, semi-obedient” ferret would not be a staple of the setting… I feel like a  “general battle animal pet” piece with VERY good (restrictive) redlines would save lore reviewers a lot of time…

15 minutes ago, Benleft said:

Creature bloat is not a problem as-is... If there are too many lore pages, they can just be compiled into AWESOME creature compendiums. 

That being said, I feel like “big, semi-obedient” ferret would not be a staple of the setting… I feel like a  “general battle animal pet” piece with VERY good (restrictive) redlines would save lore reviewers a lot of time…

@SmmerGive him a timeout on the forums. He is giving feedback to lore on Christmas eve

20 minutes ago, Benleft said:

is there anything you would explicitly change to help this get approved?

Hmpf.

Admittingly I'm really not a fan of the idea of battle-pets in general, since we've got magics centered around that already.

Both Druidism and Life Evocation go (somewhat) in that niche. A creature this size would be considered "large" by life evocation lore standards, meaning for combat, you would need five (!) emotes to summon it (T5 Life Evocationist casting Terrestial Conjuration). Even for a druid, who are quite literally centered around animals/nature would need two emotes to convince a creature that size to fight for them (T5 Druid casting Beastspeak). However, both the druid and the conjurationist need to keep focus on said animal.

If you look at the creatures immense size - this is way to overpowered, especially since you'd not need to focus on the animal...

4 hours ago, Benleft said:

The druidic communion lore says:

"A Druid’s animal companion must adhere to ST guidelines concerning pets, if used in combat. As such any companion larger than a golden retriever is prohibited from combat scenarios."

"Current ST policy concerning summoned, independently-acting animals requires them to be no larger than a golden retriever. This means any animal called to fight for the Druid must adhere to this."

...so apparently such a guideline does exist? (I can't find it though)

Looking at this statement within the druidism which cites some guideline by the ST I admittingly cannot find would really make the lore obsolete - since you can just downsize it into a reasonable size and then go on.

4 hours ago, Laeonathan said:

Hmpf.

Admittingly I'm really not a fan of the idea of battle-pets in general, since we've got magics centered around that already.

Both Druidism and Life Evocation go (somewhat) in that niche. A creature this size would be considered "large" by life evocation lore standards, meaning for combat, you would need five (!) emotes to summon it (T5 Life Evocationist casting Terrestial Conjuration). Even for a druid, who are quite literally centered around animals/nature would need two emotes to convince a creature that size to fight for them (T5 Druid casting Beastspeak). However, both the druid and the conjurationist need to keep focus on said animal.

If you look at the creatures immense size - this is way to overpowered, especially since you'd not need to focus on the animal...

The druidic communion lore says:

...so apparently such a guideline does exist? (I can't find it though)

Looking at this statement within the druidism which cites some guideline by the ST I admittingly cannot find would really make the lore obsolete - since you can just downsize it into a reasonable size and then go on.

Thanks for your feedback! I've downsized the battle ferrets, and made it so that ordering them to fight is a major emote.

A big noodle dog that can fight beside me?! Sign me up for one (or four) of these little guys!

+1

@Benleft((My phone won't let me quote)) I've actually done a bit of work on a "Dire Animal" lore piece for pets/mounts/event monsters that are just an IRL animal but big. I never pursued it because I figured it would be abusable/ST would shoot it down though.

@VoidTermniaIf they are only four feet long and unable to get through most armors they probably don't need a major action to command. They would fit within the basic independent companion rules.

17 minutes ago, ClassyDryad said:

@Benleft((My phone won't let me quote)) I've actually done a bit of work on a "Dire Animal" lore piece for pets/mounts/event monsters that are just an IRL animal but big. I never pursued it because I figured it would be abusable/ST would shoot it down though.

Balance and submit it… Don’t lose hope… LT are only a mental road block (review compiles are a helpful resource). You are stronger, better…

40 minutes ago, ClassyDryad said:

@VoidTermniaIf they are only four feet long and unable to get through most armors they probably don't need a major action to command. They would fit within the basic independent companion rules.

Oh epic lol, first time trying to write any sort of creature lore so I'm trying not to make them too OP y'know?