[Your View] Combat Lock

Spoopy_Duck

What should we do about combat lock?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do about combat lock looking forward.

• Keep the rule as is
    • Keep it with an extended timer
    • Remove the rule entirely

I understand why the CRP-lock exists and have no problem with it, however it has some issues.

In my RP as a city-guard i've watched people just get bonked in the middle of the street with 18 people RPing around them and then wander off. 
I've also missed a few combats by smallest of margins.
Or tried to ring the bell - yet there's no point to it because by 3rd emote, 15 min is up, maybe have the bell extend the CRP-lock by another 15 min? so there's more urgency for others to stop you from doing it.

I would suggest something along the lines of allowing new people to join in after a certain amount of emotes are passed. IE. After every 20 (or more) emotes you get a reinforcement chance. Or maybe just 1 single reinforcement opportunity after a certain amount of emotes so the battles don't drag on eternally. OR decide to extend the lockdown by another so many minutes IF the bell of the settlement is rang. So keeping it outside of settlements and extending it on a bell ring.

On 2/6/2024 at 3:44 PM, Jaslaw said:

Well while at it its good to note that the three emotes to ring a bell is too much with it in place, as it will take way over 15 minutes to ring the bell making them kinda useless
But eather way even in those 15 minutes you can likely meta rally I would have guessed as long as people respond quickly theres no point

I was just in a CRP where, since the members involved were good writers, the first couple rounds of combat alone took quite some time. The bell itself was right there, but by the time the bell was rung and the guardsmen showed up it was already a minutes beyond the time. I understand that some people use the 15 minutes until invisibility to escape consequences like in raids and some such, but it would be better IF

the timer was extended, and you dont just become invisible. Just that when the timer does run up, those around cannot enter, and instead they have to be like the extras in an old roman movie or a medieval film and watch while the battle happens

With any CRP session always lasting around a few hours OOCly, this would mean that you could practically have a never ending vortex of people joining in from both sides to help out. 

In either case, my guess as to why the rule exists from an IRP perspective is because despite said fights lasting OOCly for hours, irply they would at best simply last less than 5 minutes, you can't exactly find a brawl that lasted around a few minutes if not seconds, and join it an hour after it should've ended.

Which I am assuming that this is why the invisibility rule exists to begin with. Like yes, the fight did happen but by the time you arrived and the combat lock was put in place, this mean that the battle has concluded. 

Nobody lied to your character about there being a fight in the square, it's not like the RP of the battle was voided; It just ended before your character could make It there and the Victor has already left the scene (Or is writhing on the floor with half their limbs missing).

Edited by Agy

The options for tackling this rule are insufficient.

Cities should not have a combat lock: Cities theoretically would have lots of guards. We are not guards, but LOTC enjoyers who are not all on all the time nor do we all want to do guard rp all the time. Guards act as a deterrant to crime. An unlimited combat lock within cities (or, at least, capital cities because this would be clearer so people can't argue their towns or villages are cities) would equally be a deterrant for crime. It's very dumb that guards, too, cannot guard rp when they want to if they happen to arrive at a fight too late. Kind of defied the point of being a guard or having them at all.

Outside of cities, 15 minutes is not sufficient. Most will take maybe 10 minutes or so to rally. 
Let's say its a minute to ring the bell.
It's then maybe 3 minutes to boot up and load in, assuming you don't have any loading issues or run into any chunks.
You then need to continue to wait because those 4 minutes are only if everyone drops everything irl immediately because LOTC!!!!! and it's going to take maybe 5 minutes for people to wrap things up?
So most time is spent just rallying. If you have someone - dare you even try - rp during that time you may need to wait on emotes. How dare you rp on my faction server!!!
And then maybe you'll get the chance to ride out - although that person that told you about the fight that ran to the city probably took a few minutes so the combat lock is probably done anyway. 
How fun - and this has been the typical experience I've had minus the people that dare to bandit literally right outside of the gate.

However, I do think "wild combat" per se does require a combat lock. Your fight could be very long and the longer a fight runs, the more time it takes for people to join to the point where it might become silly. I would say the lock should be 30 minutes given that this is a rp server but I'm also more on the I would like to emote well side, rather than just rush there. Either way, it should be longer but not indefinite.

• Remove CRP Lock inside settlements but keep it in the wilderness
• Extend CRP Lock timer in the wilderness to 30 minutes

• Remove post-Lock invisibility

Towns and cities actually become the places of relative safety they are meant to be.

Guards are no longer pointless and actually get a decent chance to react to threats as they realistically should.

People will feel safer logging on and actually sticking around to RP, especially in non-peak hours, increasing overall RP and server activity.

People's IRL time and commitments get more respect.

RP spaces are still usable when fights happen.

Nobody has to deal with the jarring situation of watching their buddies get jumped right in the middle of the town square in broad daylight and pretending to not notice or be bothered by it at all.

The RP and commerce block of cities closing their gates is much less of an annoyance.

CRP can still happen. Bandits and raiders just need to consider that there are obvious risks to attacking people in what are supposed to be populated and defended areas.

Lessening the CRP Lock is a compromise that benefits and is supported by the majority of players. And its benefits way, way outweigh any drawbacks. This should not be that hard of a decision.

Edited by Vysii