Magic Canon Part I:

Index of Links to other Magic Cannon posts:

Magic Cannon Part II

Greetings Asulon! Today we are taking the first major step forward in paving a canon foundation for magic lore in Asulon. There has been some confusion as to where magic all started. Some people have written lore suggestions on the topic, who taught us magic ect. Well we now have story for all of you to wrap your heads around:

In the beginning...

The Creator created the world, life, and existence. He forged the physical realm in which we live, using the elemental spirits to make the building blocks of this realm, the aspects to oversee the natural working growth, souls to take physical form as inhabitants of the realm. He created the Void from which thoughts could exist for the physical realm, an Ancestral plane for souls to go when their physical forms were shattered. He created a spirits of emotion and culture, Wrath and Joy, War and Hunt, and a separate plane for these spirits to exist. These spirits gave life and reason to the beings of the physical realm. This is where the basis of magic exists. Anguel and Daemon taught Krug, Malin, Horen and Urguan the secrets for how to draw from these sources, and Anguel further taught Aeriel, one of Anguel's own brood, the secrets to her own magic. Daemon taught Iblees, one of Daemon's own brood, the secrets of his darker magics. Horen and Urguan were attracted most to the manipulation of the Void as a basic but powerful form of magic and passed his information to their learned sons, calling these first magic users Mages. Krug revered the power of the spirits, understanding the importance of the soul. He taught his brood this magic that they might share reverence and they became known as Shamans. Malin understood the importance of the aspects in maintaining the world, so he taught his brood how best to interact with these and promote their power, calling them Druids. The Daemon Iblees, created to be the evil balance to the Anguel, created the Nether. From this realm he empowered his unholy magic. He created the first Overlord and granted him the power, that he may spread corruption across the world. First, the four faught Iblees. When he was defeated, the Anguel Ariel created the Sages and taught them her own magic that they may ward against Iblees in the future. As time went and races grew, the races slowly had to abandon magic to seek simpler forms of sustaining their populations. Farmers were needed to plant a sow crops that the races might eat, and no time was left to study magics. Warriors were needed to fight wars and a blade was just as effective as a spell, but far faster to learn. Kings were needed to lead and politics left no time for study. In the end only a few retained the knowledge and passed it down.

Those of you already excessively familiar with the origin lore of our planet, as well as the various magical archtypes, are probably completely unsurprised by anything I just said. For the rest of you, consider yourself 100% more informed! In addition, I will address some of the questions that have been popping up frequently. Free Q&A:

How long until we see the magic plug-in/magic applications/ect.?

The best answer I can give is soon. We have a game plan on how we will tackle situations and intend to release them as we overcome them. Currently we are working on bringing lore solid and up-to-date. With the Origin story out of the way, our next plan is to overview lore suggestions that have popped up. We are going through people's ideas for different magic types and deciding if they should be allowed or not. This may seem like an out of the way thing, but it will actually set the foundation for all our future projects (Plug-in magic, what magic applications look for, ect.) Essentially it's another stepping stone for laying down a solid lore so that we can build the more game-mechanic stuff for you. Plus I'm sure these people who have been waiting for decisions forever would appreciate finally being answered, even if it is a denial.

Will we be allowed to submit new magic ideas?

Yes, we are open to new ideas for magic, and now that we are starting to lay down lore it should be easier for you guys to write ideas that don't conflict with the reality of the situation. Unfortunately what we grounded today is going to automatically rule out some ideas/suggestions that were submitted prior to the M-Teams existence. Believe me we looked at these ideas, took them into consideration, and decided they wouldn't work for the overall lore of the server. However going forward hopefully people will make suggestions with solid information to build on and we won't have this issue.

How will magic work via the Plug-in?

My best answer: I don't know. None of us do. We have a few ideas floating in the air right now about what we might do, but as it stands we haven't really looked at this yet. Our plan is to lay down the lore first, then approach the magic plug-in in a way that fits this lore. This is also something we have to work with Vaq with before it can happen and sort out what is and isn't reasonable/possible. So unfortunately my answer to this question is temporarily incomplete, but there will be one of these threads to address that once we get to it.

That's all for now folks! I would appreciate having more questions given as this Q&A is a tad bit short and may have missed some questions you all want answered. Ask them in your posts and I will start making a list as I see them pop up. I look forward to seeing them and answering them with our next thread!

Remember: The above is OOC information, treat it as such. You may be subject to a metagaming report if you choose to bring this IC without Roleplaying and successfully discovering this. Do not wake up tomorrow and suddenly know the secret of the universe, that is not how this works :smile:

~~~

Requesting Sticky for all to see

~~~

And now... we wait.

I would also like to use my comment to post some things that I posted in response to a high elven topic posted by sporadic http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/53575-ooc-high-elves-and-magic/page__st__30 to do with magic and racial trait:

I say again, I wouldn't bother trying to role a mage character that knows magic off the bat, because once we get an app sorted, not only is it powergaming to start with magic, but you won't be able to provide evidence of your training if you start off as a mage with no training. Meaning if you posted an app for magic, it would be denied outright.

As for teaching apps, not only are you going to have to explain in detail how you would train pupils, but you will also need to explain why you should be able to teach people magic. Both OOC'ly and ic'ly. The teaching trait is going to be our version of the VA team's number "5" trait. As in there will be hardly any teachers and you will need a damn good reason behind it.

We will also be asking guilds who wish to have status as a "teaching platform" for magic to contact us via a thread we will be putting up. In which point we would ask the reason for this and ask for lore behind it to review.

Anyone outside of this who just decides to ignore this process and continue rp'ing magic without the credentionals behind it are subjected to the term of powergaming and will be dealt with by our GM'ing staff of the server.

Anyone who is caught doing any forms of powergaming with an app as in going above and beyond limitations or just rping in a way that is just unfair entirely will be dealt with in the same manner as the VA team deals with its' applicants that step out of line.

Don't worry, the magic team has this covered.

A self taught user would have to provide a lot more evidence and reasoning behind their teaching. Seeing how many might just skip the "being taught" part of magic rp by just saying they are self taught.

Of new magic systems, that would go under lore, if you wish to post new lore, I am hoping to get a seperate thread section sorted out for magic in which people can post their ideas in. Then it would be reviewed by the magic team, then put forwards to the GM's if deemed to fit lore, reasonably detailed and not powergammy.

For example, lore that puts you into a very large position of power like lets say...

"another noble race".

Unless we saw a lot of RP reasoning behind this and their magical skill, and presented in a way that isn't power gaming, it would most likely be denied. Because of the fact that a noble race is the collective term for races like the Ascended and undead.

Things that write players into a position of power, a very large position of power will most likely be denied because of the fact that part of the reason we are here is to make things fair.

I mean, you wouldn't like the idea of a God like race walking around being able to unmake people in an instant because they are on the same level as anguels and daemons now would you?

That may be an extreme case but there is a lore that we recently reviewed which was a lot like that and thus we deemed it too powergaming and unfair.

Another reason why we are here is to help the GM's, I mean, it must be tiring for them to have to, not only gauge in in game moderating, but also have to gauge in looking at lore in the your ideas and lore section, looking through the monumental amounts of magic lore ideas along with a lot of other styles of lore as well. Finding the ones that might actually work and deeming it acceptable.

Magic is not a tool everyone, it is not used to "gain an advantage" or to be the "Ultimate uber pwnage nubdecimator" on the server. Magic is another form of RP. Part of the fun of magic is going through the basic steps, learning from the ones before in very colourful, drawn out rp sessions that lasts several RL days and weeks. Maybe even months.

It is something that adds interesting RP both to yourself and to those around you. Again, it is not a tool, it is an extension of RP.

Just a side question: The Shad'Rin belief system was built around worshiping the Creator itself and the Anguels and Daemons were mere countermeasures against each other to preserve balance. Since my character adopted this line of thinking back in November or so, it's not a metagaming issue, correct?

Just a side question: The Shad'Rin belief system was built around worshiping the Creator itself and the Anguels and Daemons were mere countermeasures against each other to preserve balance. Since my character adopted this line of thinking back in November or so, it's not a metagaming issue, correct?

It is what I believe in character as well somewhat, and it is somewhat the truth. But so long as you have a legitimate reason for your belief then it is ok.

So long as people don't go "I believe this" (-copy pastes origin-)

I cannot provide screenshot proof of training in magic considering in July I was taught by the leader of magic at the time and thought I wouldn't need evidence in 10 months time... What should I do as "evidence" to have been taught magic in the app?

I cannot provide screenshot proof of training in magic considering in July I was taught by the leader of magic at the time and thought I wouldn't need evidence in 10 months time... What should I do as "evidence" to have been taught magic in the app?

You could start be getting accounts from others about your magical training. Though slayer himself might not be able to answer there must have been others that might be able to speak on his behalf yes? For example, a student who was learning alongside with you. Another in the mages guild who knew about your training taking place etc etc...

It is not only your teachers that have to provide here, it could be those that knew you were recieving such training.

That and the system of recommendation which was used by the VA team in which players account for your rping prowess will be taken into account.

Same here my teacher's have been long gone. Also anguels and deamons are races not people. And the sages weren't created they we decedent of anguels mating with the normal races. Ironguts are this. Our lore has dwain the first irongut mated with a anguel thus making this clan have access too magic and yes its accepted lore ;)

I still do not see the lore idea, but a summary of previous lore. Why is the topic called Magic Cannon, and what is with it being part I? Will there be multiple posts to explain one topic? Could you please elaborate on the Magic Cannon idea.

Meh, Ogland was the only other person who was being trained at the time beside me. Everard can also vouch along with Tehlulu if she were here.

Ogland and Tehlulu ain't here no more to say I was trained, but Everard is, although he had almost 0 activity in the guild at the time, the activity was mostly me, Ogland and Slayer.

Same here my teacher's have been long gone. Also anguels and deamons are races not people. And the sages weren't created they we decedent of anguels mating with the normal races. Ironguts are this. Our lore has dwain the first irongut mated with a anguel thus making this clan have access too magic and yes its accepted lore ;)

Created and mated can be taken into the same context really depending apon opinion, also technically in lore, ancient lore I might add, the creator created the first two when creating our world, who had four sons. That means to that our creation is out of magic which means that we all possess the ability to learn magic. What defines who can, and who cannot learn magic is enviromental occurances that change our mindset and being after birth.

So really, the lore behind the ironguts adds more depth to the clan, but is not necessary to their ability of learning magic.

Yes I agree

And dwarves are naturally resistance to magic and no one teaches it other then me or kilgrim which we.barely do.

Yes I agree

And dwarves are naturally resistance to magic and no one teaches it other then me or kilgrim which we.barely do.

Of course however, if dwarves are lacking in teachers of magic then there would be a lower amount of magically apt'ed people.

Also I like it so far and cant wait to finally have a control onmagic.

I still do not see the lore idea, but a summary of previous lore. Why is the topic called Magic Cannon, and what is with it being part I? Will there be multiple posts to explain one topic? Could you please elaborate on the Magic Cannon idea.

Ths is a bit more than a summary of previous lore. There was never actually canon on where the magics started or where they draw power from, or where those fonts of power came from. Previous lore was: The first four taught us magic. That was it.

As for the title, yes, there will be more releases about magic lore. We thought the player base would appreciate being kept up to date as we finish pieces of it rather than being kept in the dark and then having a sudden change where we release all the work we have done over a long period of time. Such a drastic sweeping change could have been bothersome and players have been waiting long enough to see progress on magic as it is. No need to make that worse on people.

Elaborate on the Magic Canon idea... I'm afraid I am not exactly sure what you are asking here. If I already answered it, awesome. If not, please rephrase the question and I'll try to help how best I can.

This seems like a legitimate piece of lore, but since this is part one, I have to say, what more could be explained in part 2?