Magic Canon Part I:

The plugin is a tool to be used on top of magic text based rp. Not its' replacement. People are still going to have to use text based magic to explain their actions, the plugin is just an effect to give those who can't just imagine it actual visuals to look at whilst magic is being cast.

That's what I meant. So just about anyone can learn magic, not just a select few.

Yes, everyone can learn it. Magic became rare in society due to it be phased out for inefficiency. It takes time, effort, and careful experimentation to progress through the magical arts, and at first everyone upheld magical studies. However, as time passed and populations grew into larger scale societies magic took too long learn to support the masses. Society found it was more efficient (and simpler) to learn agriculture to feed their people, rather than study magic for far longer to achieve the same product. A man could be killed as easily with a sword or bow as with a fire bar, but the sword and bow were easier to teach and a garrison of troops could learn combat in half as many years. As society pushed itself towards this efficiency, masters of the magical arts became rarer and more mysterious. It is only more recently, now that magic users are few and far between, that society is understanding the benefits of intermingling magical methods with non-magical means. People are more willing to pick up apprenticeships now to help support their society. The magic using caste will never be the dominant force that it was in the early stages of the world, but they are in no risk of dying out either.

Ouity, now I'm just waiting for you to nuke a child who walked through your flower bed. :P (joking!)

But yeah, I like this lore. One of my characters had already assumed this was how things worked. Sort of, anyway. She's wrong about a couple things.

I do have one question, though. How do you plan to handle app visibility? Will you post a list of accepted apps or link a google doc of it? So people can check to make sure no one power games, that is.

It will be like the VA system, with denied and accepted apps on show to the public. all it would take to find one is to go onto accepted apps, the MC name in and search. If you cannot find them, they have not be accepted. If you do... they have been. Simple as that.

Generally speaking yes. It would be no different than myself coming in as a trained sword user where others must start at the beginning. You must legitimately learn the magic in game like the rest of us.

There are many characters that begin as well-trained fighters.

They shouldn't be. I personally deny applications in which the applicant was an expert swordsman from the get go. moderate training is acceptable, but no one is getting through with "I fought eleventy-twelven battles and have pro skillz with mah blade brah." at best they "practiced with a wooden sword occassionally growing up." or something that reflects introductory level knowledge at best.

I do look at my fellow A-Team members reviews from time to time to ensure we are all on the same track, in this regard we generally share the same denial rates for these reasons. If you see an application that proves contrary to this you should link it to me immediately so we can review it and handle the situation appropriately.

They shouldn't be. I personally deny applications in which the applicant was an expert swordsman from the get go. moderate training is acceptable, but no one is getting through with "I fought eleventy-twelven battles and have pro skillz with mah blade brah." at best they "practiced with a wooden sword occassionally growing up." or something that reflects introductory level knowledge at best.

I do look at my fellow A-Team members reviews from time to time to ensure we are all on the same track, in this regard we generally share the same denial rates for these reasons. If you see an application that proves contrary to this you should link it to me immediately so we can review it and handle the situation appropriately.

And what of characters that were trained 'moderately' in magic?

If they don't continously practice magic then they would start to loos their grip in it to the point that they forget how to cast spells. There is only a certain amount of time in a day a character should be able to put into practice of their skills whilst still putting in madatory things like to say... sleeping and eating. The more skills you practice, the less well trained you are going to be in each one of them.

That is why we get frail magic users, becuase master users would have dedicated quite a large of time into the art and would have forgone quite a bit of physical activity to do it. So they are not going to be able to pick up a sword and start swinging it if they haven't picked one up for 30 years.

That and it solves the balacing issues of being "uber awesome in magic" and being "uder awesome at swinging a sword". You can't be a master of both...

There is only one point I am curious about. In Aegis magic was tied to the Void, and as the veil started to fall man found that he too had the use of magic again. With the Veil raised and the portal closed. What will be the source of power here? I've seen a lot of talk about Ley Lines, as an interesting idea.

I want to ask one thing, If you have fire magic and then you want to learn earth magic to help your foucs magic fire out with power and force by as fire and earth mix together though magic you could move lava/magma, Though training you will be weak though both but then when you are finished and slightly master it you become stronger in fire at the end?.. Can this possibly happen?

It can happen, as in it is conceivably possible. We are trying to leave as much open to the public as possible, and just adjust how the spells you use work so that it all remains balanced. As long as everything is kept in check, it's ok. We want to leave some creative freedom open to people, but we also need to monitor it all to ensure it is balanced.

That being said, we are going through magic suggestions and proposals. If you wish to have a magical ability that is not already within our lore, you will have to propose it appropriately. This will allow us to review it, ensure that it fits our lore, is not overpowered, ect. before letting it through. This doesn't have to be an entirely new magical archtype, it can just be a new spell/ritual which may have never been visited before and you want to make sure it's ok to be casting.

We are working on a system to prove training as we develop the application. At this time, I do not have a complete answer for you, so I do not want to reveal too much without it being incomplete. However, I intend to put a little more information concerning the Magic App in the next Magic Canon post Q&A, by then we should have a more refined idea of what we will expect and I can answer your question with more complete information.

Added a Link Index for other Magic Cannon posts. Right now; A link to Magic Cannon Part II. Find the Index at the very top of the original post in this thread.