Speaking The Blah

w1llll

Introduction

The Orc language, or "Blah" as they refer to it, appears to be one of the main things putting people off roleplaying an Orc character. Whilst at first glance, it may appear to be complicated, it is actually deceptively simple to understand and write. In this guide, I will (hopefully) explain how to speak and understand the Blah.

Who can speak the Blah?
Orcs naturally speak the Blah. Humans and other races would find it very difficult if not impossible to speak it, as aspects of it come from the distortion of speech by the tusks. Many Orcs are insulted by attempts by non-Orcs to speak it.

Blah-Common Dictionary

Agh - And

Albai - Elf
Blah - Talk/speak. It is also the name of the Orcish dialect.
Blarg - Home
Bruddah - Non Whitewash Orc
Bubhosh - Great/Big
Buub - Pig
Buubshara Nubded - Zombie Pigman
Buurz - Dark
Dabu - Yes/My Pleasure (Obedient, Respectful)
Flat - Dead
Gazat - Dwarf
Glob - Fool
Goi - City
Gruk - Understand
Gug'ye - Goodbye
Howlur: Wolf
Klomp - Attack/Fight
Krimp - Control somebody (stun, capture, snare, etc.)
Lat - You
Ligz - Arrow
Lusk - Axe
Mi - Me/I
Mojo - Magic
Nub - No/Not
Nubded - Undead
Nubhosh - Bad/Small
Nuutshara - Ascended (literally sky human)
O'lig - Bow
Pinkskin/Pinkzkin: A non-Orc.
Pushdug - Stinky
Quikspawn / Breedurs - Human
Rulg - Thanks
Shara - Human
Skah - Expletive, to mate with.
Snaak - Halfling
Snaga - Slave
Squeals - Halflings
Steemiez - redstone tech. Referring to the 'steam' in a steam contraption.
Stik - Staff
Stowt - Dwarf
Throm'ka - Formal greeting
Twiggies / Treeuggers - Elves
Ug - Hail/Hey/Hello
Uzg - World/Lands
Wub- What?

Translating into the Blah

The main thing to remember when trying to translate anything into the Blah is to misspell words. For example, food becomes “fuud”, “want” becomes “wunt” et cetera. If you do this, and insert one or two words from the above dictionary, you’ll be able to easily speak the Blah.

Tips on mangling words: Replace the letter s with a z, spell words phonetically, and substitute similar sounding letters for each other.

Here are a few examples of translations from common into the Blah.

“Hello, fellow Orc. I need a sword.” 
From the dictionary, one can see that Orcs say “ug” rather than “hello”, so that is the first order of business. “Fellow Orc” can be replaced with “bruddah”, assuming they aren’t a whitewash. “I” can be replaced with “mi”, and by misspelling the word “need”, you’ll end up with something along the lines of “nuud”. You can either replace “a” with “ash”, the Orcish number one, or omit it entirely. Finally, “sword” in the Blah is “zult”. After doing this, we end up with the following sentence: “Ug bruddah, mi nuud zult.” This is actually one of the more complex translations you might need to do whilst speaking in the Blah.
“What is that?”
This translation is rather simple. “What” is replaced with “wub”, the word “is” can be misspelled and “that” can be replaced with something sounding similar, such as “dat”. This results in the phrase “Wub bi dat?”

Translating from the Blah into common

This seems to be the one that really gets people. It’s actually fairly simple to translate a sentence in the blah by just reading it aloud. After doing this, look up any unfamiliar words in the dictionary above. If you’re ever struggling to work out what something means, don’t hesitate to ask the player in OOC what they mean.

As above, here are a few examples of how to translate from the Blah into common:

“Wub lat duuin un Uruk landz, pinkzkin?”
First of all, read the sentence aloud to yourself. After doing this, you’ll probably end up with the following translation: “Wub lat doing on Uruk lands, pinkskin?”. If you need to, consult the dictionary for any words you don’t know the meaning of, and you’ll end up with the following translation: “What are you doing on Orc lands, non-Orc?”
“Mi gunnur flat lat!”
Reading this aloud will give you “Me gonna’ flat lat!”. As before, the dictionary is your friend. “Flat” means “kill”, and “lat” means “you”, giving you “Me gonna’ kill you!”

Bibliography

Even with this wonderful guide I swear I will never learn speaking "the Blah". 

If you want some more help speaking it, feel free to PM me.

This is an excellent guide! You have some talent and I hope to see a lot more guides from you.

Wub lat doing on Uruk lands, pinkskin < very simple you use alot of common in it.

correction.

Wub lat bi duin en Uruk uzg shara.

Wub lat doing on Uruk lands, pinkskin < very simple you use alot of common in it.

correction.

Wub lat bi duin en Uruk uzg shara.

The reason a slightly simplified version was used is because it is an example translation. The only real difference between the two versions is the replacement of "landz" with "uzg" and the use of a different word to refer to the individual who is trespassing:

"Wub lat duuin un Uruk landz, pinkzkin?"

"Wub lat bi duin en Uruk uzg shara."

This really helped a lot! I've been trying to learn it off the wikipedia page but it was a little complicated ^^ Thank you :D +1

This really helped a lot! I've been trying to learn it off the wikipedia page but it was a little complicated ^^ Thank you :D +1

I learned from the wikipedia page :I

So evil, wow.

Anyway, +1