[Playable] Ghosts And You!

Urahra

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see spooky ghosties in Anthos?

• Aww yeah.
    • Needs more work. (Post suggestions please?)
    • No. (Post reasons please?)

I don't think this needs to be an MA. If the ghost has no ability to affect another person then there's no reason to have to apply for it.

Now as something that the Event Team oversee. I am all for that.

I don't think this needs to be an MA. If the ghost has no ability to affect another person then there's no reason to have to apply for it.

Now as something that the Event Team oversee. I am all for that.

It just sort of makes me sad that so much of the neat supernatural, fun stuff goes to the event team. I think there should be some unique, interesting things that us normal players can access too. There are those of us who don't want to be staff, but still want to create fun, interesting RP for ourselves and others. Also, the E-team will have a lot on their plates soon with running the Antagonist faction. I feel like ghosts wouldn't get much attention.

Trust us normal players a little bit. We may not be staff, but there are still quality RPers among us. I know many quality roleplayers whom I think would be amazing ghosts and really put their best into it. 

This pleases me.

Also, incoming conspiracy theory:

every character is a haunt. They just die over and over again as haunts and the Monks pretend to revive them. We're all dead and we all refuse to believe it.

Don't see it as only the Event Team can instigate it. What I mean is that if you want to play a ghost, you contact someone from the Event Team (it would be good if they could suggest someone to oversee this in particular) and say "Hey, I wanted to do a ghost in this area, this is the character" and they say "yeah sure."

Putting it in the hands of the ET just means that you don't have a whole bunch of ghosts all over the place and they keep that specialness. The only reason the Event Team would have to say no is if there are already a bunch or if they have something in mind for that specific area or your character proposal is dumb etc etc.

EDIT: I know what you are getting at shaping it like a form of magic. But if the ghosts have no influence on people then there is no reason for it to be an application process for magic. I would rather see this implemented in the simplest form possible so that it can just happen. Kalenz' apparition lore is approved and so he is going to great lengths to make an event where it can happen. I would love to see this just 'happen', though it does need to be overseen in some form.

I am crazy about this lore, it is GREAT. Now, yeah their are people on this server who are gonna wanna be bad ghost thingies. But their are probably alot who will take this to a cool rp advantage as a Spectres and do it for good. Lets say some one  becomes a Spectre, and would do what jedi ghosts did in star wars and give advice and be wise with some one they  am related  or connected too and do good. (This idea was inspired cause the sceptre are blue like jedi ghosts) So i think applications should ask how they will be as a ghost and regulate around that to make an equal amount of baddies and goodies. So i am not sure how this would work out to the perfect ending????????? But hopefully this is implemented!

If people would like for me to create my own ghost application process and oversee a sort of loose "ghost faction," I think that's something I could manage. I use the term faction very loosely because there wouldn't be an IC "ghost leader," there would only be like five ghosts, and, since ghosts are mostly solitary, there wouldn't be a government system. I'd just OOCly oversee the four or five people who I choose from the applications. 

Would like to remind everyone that I was an M-team member for a while and I graded apps very harshly, so I wouldn't let any baddies slide through. If people think this is a suitable alternative to ghosts being a Magic subtype, I'd be open to managing that.

Send an Event Team person a PM and ask who would be good to oversee it. I think it should be in the hands of someone who knows what is in the works, because perhaps a ghost shouldn't be doing something somewhere if the Event Team are planning something for that area the following day. If you know what I mean.

Also they could more easily get a GM to make something in a permissioned region (for example) if necessary.

Send an Event Team person a PM and ask who would be good to oversee it. I think it should be in the hands of someone who knows what is in the works, because perhaps a ghost shouldn't be doing something somewhere if the Event Team are planning something for that area the following day. If you know what I mean.

Also they could more easily get a GM to make something in a permissioned region (for example) if necessary.

I'm not entirely certain what you think ghosts will be doing. I assure you that there is nothing big and dramatic in store. And ghosts will likely avoid high traffic areas since they're solitary.

They are very low level entities when it comes to power. Literally, the only ghosts that can affect the physical world are poltergeists. They cannot cast large spells or anything. A poltergeist is pretty limited. They can't even lift objects they wouldn't have normally been able to lift.

I also don't expect to have the actual in-game ability to vanish or fly. I intend to handle it with emotes. Meaning it's just normal RP. Nothing really fancy.

And that's why I think there shouldn't be an application to do it. However, if this became approved lore things might get out of hand. Maybe not, but maybe.

Proposing yourself to oversee it is not a bad idea, but it is such a small thing for one person to keep tabs on that I think it is better suited to someone from the Event Team to be receiving Ghost application PMs. Not that ghost's are a big thing, but that it mightn't be the right timing or location to have a haunt wandering around an abandoned house if the event team is planning for a dragon to burn that house down soon.

This pleases me.

Also, incoming conspiracy theory:

every character is a haunt. They just die over and over again as haunts and the Monks pretend to revive them. We're all dead and we all refuse to believe it.

tumblr_m4ztgtOrN61qihztbo1_500.gif

The E-team already has a lot on their plate and I fear that placing the lore in someone else's hands would lead to misunderstandings. I've already seen a lot of people in this very thread misunderstand the lore. I know how ghosts work - I wrote this. Plus, the E-team has a lot to handle already. 

I managed the Frost Witches for quite a while and I managed to keep the Coven very tight. I learned a lot from managing the Frost Witches. Where we started to mess up was when I allowed players to deviate from my initial vision (namely getting married and having affairs with Oren royalty). Instead of being killing machines to be feared, we turned into something I didn't like and didn't intend. I unfortunately allowed players who didn't seem to be interested in the initial vision and instead just wanted to be sexy ice babes. It was a very strong learning experience and something I'll remember.

If I were allowed to regulate ghosts personally, I would be much harsher and not allow people to twist the lore. I wouldn't allow misunderstandings. The application would be extremely rigorous. I am VERY hard to impress, after all, and I would be sure to manage each ghost personally to make sure they aren't RPing in a way that lessens the impact of ghosts or the intent behind the lore.

I thought liches stopped being cool and special when they started getting married and hanging out in bars. I wouldn't let that happen. I'd enforce the lore or revoke ghost privileges.

Does it really need a harsh application? I mean, you should take the ideas from the new magic app system and oversee their growth. Characters will have to ask if they can move up and explain what roleplay experiences have lead them to it, then you'll get some feedback from those who have RPed with them, or watch them yourself.

Haunts would be limited to repeating the same actions of a normal day over and over right? So they're not going to be going out into the streets and terrorising people immediately. It is only once they become self aware that you want to choose wisely who can do it.

It feels like there are applications everywhere these days.

I'm just not sure how else to control it. And I personally don't mind apps. They give me a sense of the person's writing ability and what they intend to do with the character. If a person doesn't have a lot of solid backstory and reasoning for their ghost, I'll know that they haven't put as much thought into the character as I think they should. An app would also give me a chance to gauge their knowledge of the lore and what they intend to do in their roleplay.

But I'll have to leave it up to the staff to decide how to handle it anyway. If I had it completely my way, I'd be able to oversee it and control it to my liking. Or I'd at least have someone very competent and well versed in the lore handling it. And while the selection process would be harsh, it would be open to everyone to apply. Restricting it to staff members only would depress me. I constructed ghosts to have a roleplay heavy evolution - not to just be an event race to be used once or twice, but actual characters with progression.

I love this idea, Good work.