A Guide On Roleplaying Pain

CommunistSpy

~A Guide on RPing Pain~

-Introduction-

Hello! You may be wondering why such a guide is even necessary. Pain is something that has a common place in all our lives - we have all burned our tongue on hot coffee, pricked our fingers, stubbed toes, and so forth. Why then, do we need a guide on how to roleplay these things? The answer is simple: some roleplayers do not understand how ‘painful’ various types of pain can be, and the effects pain has on the body. I hope this guide clarifies that and proves useful.

Pain: Localized physical suffering associated with bodily disorder (as a disease or an injury); also : a basic bodily sensation induced by a noxious stimulus, received by naked nerve endings, characterized by physical discomfort (as pricking, throbbing, or aching), and typically leading to evasive action.

-Types of Pain-

Lacerations/Punctures (Slashing/Stabbing)

Perhaps the most common type of wound that occurs in LotC, this pain occurs when one is cut with a blade, impaled spear of some kind, or pierced with an arrow or bolt. The first thing to factor in when getting hurt with one of these types of weapons is the force put into the attack. Obviously, the deeper the cut, the more painful it will be. Another thing to consider is the sharpness of the blade; a dull blade will tear and rend the flesh, causing more damage and pain, while a sharp blade will cut easier, leaving a cleaner wound.

Reactions to this form of pain can include opening of the eyes, pupil dilation, increased heart rate, faster and deeper breathing, and tensing up. Additionally, squirming, trembling, crying out, crying, shuddering, and whimpering may occur when this form of pain is inflicted upon someone. Vomiting and passing out sometimes happen when extreme pain is inflicted over a long period of time.

Bob watches as the sword comes down upon his arm, slashing into it. He yelps, his eyes opening wide as blood begins to flow down his arm.

John sits in the table, weathered metal shackles keeping him restrained in the chair. Jack paces back and forth, a twisted grin on his face as he twirls the knife in his hand. He presses it against John’s skin, and begins dragging it slowly. John pulls against his restraints, squirming as he lets out a bloodcurdling scream. As the knife is pulled away, he pants; his head drooping forward.

Burning

One of the more damaging types of attacks, burning pain can cause some of the most severe pain. Like all feelings of pain, it serves as a defensive mechanism which causes the body to get away from the ‘harmful stimulus’, preventing further damage to the body. If you have ever burned a finger on a hot stove, you know that usually you retract your finger quickly as a reaction. Prolonged burning, such as with a metal brand or hot poker, would cause much squirming and struggling. The reactions to this form of pain would also be similar to the reactions for stabbing and slashing wounds.

The Inquisitor saunters over to the man, twirling the glowing-red brand in his hand. He chuckles as Joe begs for mercy, and immediately thrusts the brand onto his forehead. Joe shakes and pulls against his bindings, letting out an ear-piercing scream as he struggles violently. The brand is removed, the smell of burned flesh filling the room.

Needing to save her patient, the doctor sets her dagger by the open flame. Angelo clutches his bleeding leg, on the verge of passing out. The doctor picks up the knife and moves to his leg, slowly pressing the dagger onto the open wound. Angelo shudders, unable to prevent a few tears from streaming down his face. He soon passes out from the pain, his body going limp.

Blunt Force Trauma

This type of pain covers everything that involves getting punched, beaten, slapped, or hit with blunt objects. These types of wounds usually don’t break the skin, but they can cause broken bones, internal bleeding, and bruising. While one or two blows may only cause minor pain, as they occur more frequently breathing may be ragged and strained, with movement also being somewhat impaired. Blows to the head can cause dizziness, blurred vision, and eventual loss of consciousness.

Billy clenches his fists, glaring at the other dwarf. “Yer woife‘s ugleh!”, he says, hoping to start a fight. “Wot did ya jest say!?” Bobby turns around, confronting Billy. The two begin fighting - Bobby throwing the first punch. It connects with Billy’s jaw; Billy stumbling back a few feet. He groans, caught off guard as Bobby kicks him in the gut. He grunts in pain, slumping over on the floor.

The White Rose soldier raises his wooden baton, looming over the elf straggler as he mutters, “You shouldn’t be out past curfew.” He sends his baton down, the elf letting out a yelp as his shoulder is hit. The baton is raised again, and the elf raises his arms to shield himself, his forearm taking the blow. “S..stop..” He mutters in protest, the baton whacking him on the side of the head. He groans, his vision blurring. The White Rose grins, sending his baton down one last time. The blow renders the elf unconscious, and he is dragged off.

-A Note on Masochism-

What is Masochism?

Masochism is the enjoyment of what appears to be painful or tiresome, or when one receives pleasure from pain or from getting hurt.

How it Works in Roleplay

I would first like to say that being a masochist in LotC isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It can provide interesting RP opportunities, and add depth to characters if done right.

A few things must be considered before you can properly roleplay your character as a masochist. How did they begin enjoying pain - were they tortured or conditioned to enjoy it? What types of pain does your character like, and what doesn’t he or she like?

Another thing should be kept in mind - masochism should be very specific. Many types of pain, such as burning, getting torn apart by animals, or being flayed alive wouldn’t likely be enjoyable, even by the most extreme masochist.

-Resistances and Racial Lore-

Races

Each race would respond differently to pain. Everyone handles getting hurt in a similar way, but some have more of a tolerance for it than others. Races like the dwarves and orcs would likely be able to handle pain better than others, such as humans and halflings. This should be treated very carefully however - just because you are an orc does not mean you can fight fully and easily when you have multiple serious injuries.

Adrenaline Rushes and Orcish Bloodrages

In stressful and intense situations, an adrenaline rush may occur, where chemicals are released in the body that act as natural painkillers. When doing this in roleplay, one must keep in mind the effect wouldn’t be too strong, and it wouldn’t last very long. There is a difference between a slight tolerance to pain due to an adrenaline rush, and ‘going numb’ as adrenaline courses through one’s veins, the person shrugging off pain and fighting as normal. The latter would be an incorrect way of emoting.

As for Orcish Bloodrages, I believe the effect is similar to an adrenaline rush, but on a much grander scale. (If anyone would like to clarify this that is knowledgeable with Orcish lore, I would appreciate it!)

Tolerating Pain

Many people are built differently, and the reactions people have to pain differ. Some may be affected differently. Think of a battle-hardened soldier compared to a normal, peaceful merchant. Both may be the same race and size, but one will have a higher tolerance to pain, having at least experienced combat more. Naturally, a peasant would be much more fearful in a fight, while a soldier or mercenary would be more brave and confident in their abilities.

-Final Note-

Thank you for reading, I hope this guide proved somewhat useful! Please leave any comments or suggestions you may have, as well as clarifications or corrections to any mistakes. Have fun getting hurt!

Not many people seem to know how much a solid punch can hurt. It is fairly easy to kill someone with your fists, if hitting them in the correct places.

Mind you, when you lose just the tip of your finger, the pain would be extremely intense, possibly enough to stop you from being able to attack. 

Additionally, broken bones, whilst they may not be felt at first (I know from plenty of experience. I'm a regular at the hospital for breaks) will be some of the most painful and crippling things that can happen, as it renders a joint of bone useless, and causes much, much pain, more than enough to drop any man to the grounds. Also, broken noses cause a massive influx of tears that would blind you for a short while. In fact, any decent hit to the nose would blind a person with tears.

And yet another note, if a man gets kicked in the balls, it is actually equivalent on the pain scale (apparently) to over a hundred broken bones, and over a hundred child births. Just a little note, as I see too many people not RPing the sheer pain of being hit in the testicles. Believe it or not, you are not getting up after being hit with a hammer, you would be laying on the ground puking your guts up, possibly unable to breathe.

Just a few little things, but otherwise, great and much needed guide! 

Love the guide <3 I've been wanting a guide like this for a bit. I'm a regular for being burt with the hot glue gun. And I know how bad that hurts, and then taking it and timzing it by five, that would be terrible. I would ball my eyes out.

And yet another note, if a man gets kicked in the balls, it is actually equivalent on the pain scale (apparently) to over a hundred broken bones, and over a hundred child births. Just a little note, as I see too many people not RPing the sheer pain of being hit in the testicles. Believe it or not, you are not getting up after being hit with a hammer, you would be laying on the ground puking your guts up, possibly unable to breathe.

As a human of the male gender that has been kicked (granted not the strongest kicks ever) down there a few times, I'm not sure that's entirely true.

Aaaaanyways good guide, makes sense, and seems informative.

As a human of the male gender that has been kicked (granted not the strongest kicks ever) down there a few times, I'm not sure that's entirely true.

Aaaaanyways good guide, makes sense, and seems informative.

A hard punch, and you will know ALL about it. And, I have received a proper martial arts kick to the balls. I couldn't breathe properly for about half an hour, not to mention I had puke in my mouth.

EDIT: Notice the apparently. That means it is what I have read, but may or may not be true.

Blood and water, not really paint, but blood in water expands if that makes any sense. A drop of blood seems like a lot put in water and so many rp it otherwise

Does it make sense that when my character is cut or burned he bites his to the to stop screaming and sucks up the pain? Of course if it is something serious he reacts correctly.

Does it make sense that when my character is cut or burned he bites his to the to stop screaming and sucks up the pain? Of course if it is something serious he reacts correctly.

I would say that if he bites his tongue, depending on how much pain he was receiving at the time, he could stifle a scream or yelp. His tongue would probably be bleeding though. There are ways to resist expressing pain; it depends on the character, really.

Good guide, but you're scaring me a bit here. I feel like you're going to go on a rampage or something now.

Very good guide. This even might help me a bit. Thanks!
+1

Awesome guide. Too many times have I slashed, burnt, or otherwise maimed my opponents in RP fights, and they keep fighting as though they are immune to pain.

As a female, and maybe it's just me. Punching a woman in the chest (breasts to be exact.) Does indeed hurt. No women really produces a mass of muscle there in that one spot compared to men, A character's endowment does not matter, think of it as a small cushion, but a full on punch to the chest from the burliest of men will certainly hurt you, and if you're a fragile female character, it can break the bones, and knock your air out.  (Or maybe my breasts just do a terrible job at keeping me protected.)

-- TL;DR Aim at the cleavage.

Female vs Male, or Female vs Female fights (i've came across two) are usually resorted to punching in RP, and the occasional grasp of hair. Keep in mind, grabbing and jerking hair doesn't hurt one after a while, it stings for a time, and women some what have a tendency to 'immune' themselves from the sting of a hair grab. So do not expect a women to be screaming for hours on end when you grasp their hair, and fling them around. (There is the case of grasping them by the roots of their hair, which is hard to control in the fury of fighting, and constantly jerking the grasping arm about can keep the sting go for longer.)

-- TL;DR: Hair grabs don't work forever.

Also crotch shots do indeed hurt a woman, it hurts alot, not as bad as getting kick in the ********, a burly woman might not be as affected to it, but a fragile high elf woman would probably be sore, pained, and thus will end up with a bruising below that makes it hard to walk, and keep stable. It really knocks off ones center of balance.

-- TL;DR: Lady crotch shots usually hurt.

(I'm talking full power shots, not a shot from a starving kiddo, but rather a man with decent muscularity against fragile to possibly some what stronger women. If your female character (an orc comes to mind in this #stereotypes )... is burly, manly as nether, and has a tendency to fight alot, then ignore this.)

Nicely done, I give this full awso-credits, because I am biased in the fact that I follow all of these, thus I support it.

Also,

As a lil' boy nutshots hurt not even half as much, confession time being that I smashed my nuts on purpose as a past time on long car drives.

I'm sorry,

had to share,

enjoy your meal.