A Guide To Healing Emotes And Injuries

MamaBearJade

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere looks over Artimec for wounds.

There are many times when I myself will heal people and as a healer, I will look over my patient to examine for wounds. Why do I do this? I do this because nine times out of ten I was not there for the fight. In this guide I will cover how to properly emote wounds and also cover what you can and cannot survive when it comes to wounds. I will be using my healer Kaila Bedevere and my friend Artimec as examples. Note that this does not mean you /have/ to emote like this.

Emoting and You

Too often I have seen people be lazy when it comes to emoting wounds. This is what I will see.

[L-OOC] Artimec: Just shift click me, its in my card.

or

Artimec lays there panting. He waits for the healer to finish

These emotes are not a proper response to my looking over a wound. How can I treat a wound that I have no idea to. Lets state why this is bad. If you want to be healed, you need to emote it. Do not go into OOC or IC and ask if we are done after two emotes. A good healer will tell you when they have finished. Character Cards are another issue. No offense out there to anyone who uses this, but your character card is meant to put your characters description or any information you wish people to know. Not biographies about your character or your injuries.

Here is proper emoting.

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere looks over Artimec to see his wounds.

Artimec’s breathing is ragged as blood seeps out from a deep stomach wound.

this gives more for a healer to work with. What does the healer see? That Artimec has a stab wound to his stomach. What is there to do? The healer can do several things here and create some interesting healing roleplay. Not only does it tell us that Artimec is seriously injured, but also that we have very little time to save him. Just stating the severity of the wound works all kinds of wonder. Here is an example of Roleplay that I had done with Artimec where he healed my character Laila.

Artimec lays Laila on the table and looks over her wounds.

Laila Oussana has a gash in her side from a bolt that she had ripped out. Her left shin is also snapped in half from Aislinn’s boot.

Artimec sighs and goes to get some supplies to begin working.

Artimec cleans the wound and begins to stitch.

Laila Oussana sits patiently as Artimec works on her bolt wound.

Artimec finishes stitching Laila’s side and bandages it. He slowly moves over to her broken leg and sighs.

Aritmec: “I am going to reset it on the count of three. One...”

Artimec snaps the bone into place with a loud crack.

Laila Oussana lets out a scream of pain before aiming a kick to his face with her good leg. “THAT FECKING HURT!”

As comical as it is, you can see where I had emoted my injuries. This also leads into my next section.

The Healing Process

The actual healing process goes in steps. As you saw in my example above, Artimec looked over my wounds, treated them, repeated the process until all my wounds were healed. This gets to where you have fun with it. Laila, my /edgy/ dark elf, was injured by a bolt from a Rose and Aislinn. Just because I was hurt did not mean I could not have fun with it.

Generally the first thing I check is whether or not the patient is conscious. If they are not, then they generally will not emote, unless you want to panic the healer. First, before I show you how I personally heal, lets cover the basic steps to the healing process.

1. Check the patient over for injuries.

2. Apply Sedative (if the patient needs surgery) or blissfoil (if the patient does not)

3. Clean the wound

4. Begin Treatment.

5. Seal the wound.

6. Repeat 3 - 5 until all injuries are sealed.

7. Do a final check up.

Now this seems simple enough, however many of these steps have substeps. If the wound is deep, one may need to check for internal damage. If a bone is broken, it needs to be set in place. Now, what can you do as a patient to make roleplay more interesting? Well, that simple. First, are you conscious? Yes? Then you can react to pain or even, if its in character, become a royal pain in the rear to the healer. Just look at the example again.

Laila Oussana has a gash in her side from a bolt that she had ripped out. Her left shin is also snapped in half from Aislinn’s boot.

Artimec sighs and goes to get some supplies to begin working.

Artimec cleans the wound and begins to stitch.

Laila Oussana sits patiently as Artimec works on her bolt wound.

Artimec finishes stitching Laila’s side and bandages it. He slowly moves over to her broken leg and sighs.

Aritmec: “I am going to reset it on the count of three. One...”

Artimec snaps the bone into place with a loud crack.

Laila Oussana lets out a scream of pain before aiming a kick to his face with her good leg. “THAT FECKING HURT!”

Artimec and I had a good laugh over this roleplay. Not only was I rowdy patient, but it gave him something to work with. “What if my character is unconscious?” you ask. Well simple. You can either just let the healer emote their stuff or you can make things interesting. Here is an example.

Artimec is brought in by two large men and laid down on a bed in Kaila’s clinic.

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere rushes to his side, waving the men off. She quickly checks over Art to see if he is alright.

Artimec is unconscious and barely breathing. He has a bolt wound in his chest, the bolt still lodged between two ribs.

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere bites back her panic as she quickly gets to work. Locking her door she moves to his side and begins to cut his shirt.

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere looks at the bolt to see how deep it is, listening to his breathing.

Artimec’s breathing is ragged and comes in short gasps.

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere quickly begins to cut the flesh away from the bolt and goes to remove it.

Artimec: As the bolt is removed, a slight hissing is heard from the wound. A lung was punctured.

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere takes a slow breath and moves to see if she can get better access without having to break a rib.

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere sees there is no other choice and breaks the sternum and cracks open the chest to get to the lung.

Artimec’s heart stops beating.

[Healer] Kaila Bedevere notices this and quickly puts her hand on the heart and begins forcing it to pump with gentle squeezing.

Artimec’s heart begins to beat once more on its own.

As you can see, even with him unconscious there is much he could do to add to the roleplay. If he wanted to make a sandwich while I healed him, there would be no complications, nothing for me to respond to. Not saying thats not alright. Not everyone wants to go through the healing process. Heck, if I am about to hop off and in need of sleep, I will sometimes ask a patient, “May I fade to healing?” Usually its fine and I let them decide whether or not they sustain scars or whether they will be in pain.

For knowing how to deal with pain, look over Patriotic_Fool’s guide on Roleplaying Pain.

Wounds and You

Now below I will list some injuries you can and cannot survive. I love constructive criticism, however, do not start a flame war over what you believe you can and cannot survive. I will provide examples as to situations these would happen in real life as well for those you can survive.

Slit Throat
The act of slicing across the throat. In order for a quick kill, one must cut the arteries in the neck. If you only slice the windpipe, the victim can survive for quiet a while. It is a slow and painful death. Now, can you survive this? Yes. It is possible to survive /IF/ you are treated immediately. Now before you say “Well any bleeding means instant death.” It doesn’t. The neck, like many areas of the skin have veins that if cut will bleed. A cat can cut your neck and cause you to bleed, and not kill you. However, the same can not be said if say, a /Kha/ scratched you.

Stabs/Bolt to the Torso

Now, how many times have you gotten an emote stating they shot at your back/chest? Several. Unless it is specified, you can easily survive. However, that is not to say you will be running a marathon afterwards. Being shot in the back is harder to get a kill than in the front. The back was built to take hits. Not only do you have your ribs protecting the back, but also the spine. The front, well its a little more squishy half way down. Now, you can survive nearly any hit /unless/ you are hit in an organ or artery. Now, that is not to say you get shot in the chest, manage to avoid it hitting your lungs. You can still bleed to death if you are left untreated for too long.

Stabs/Bolts to the Shoulder

Commonly I see people hit in the shoulder and nothing comes of it. What no one notices is there is a major artery inside the shoulder. Press your fingers against the ball in your shoulder. Hurts doesn’t it? That is called a pressure point, a very tender spot on the shoulder. Now, personally I do not know where the artery is in the shoulder, but I do know that some hits there, depending on whether the attacker is aiming for it or not, you will bleed quickly and die. Same goes for the thigh.

Burns

The common misconception for burns is that flesh burns quickly. It takes hours for the sun to blister skin, and minutes for a flame to char it. The hotter the flame, the quicker the burns. To be burned at the stake takes several minutes for the person to die of smoke inhalation, and even longer for the flesh to burn beyond recognition. That is not to say that a dragon flying down and sending a fireball at you isn’t going to nearly melt your flesh. Unless you are in a fire of magnesium, you can survive being burned completely from head to foot until you are nearly charred. However, you will be bedridden and in pain for weeks. Not to mention the scars that will be left behind.

Hanging/Drowning/Strangling

Most people think you can survive a hanging. It depends. If the executioner knows what he is doing, your neck will snap. However, you can survive being aphyxiated by any means /if/ properly treated and quickly. Hanging/strangling damages the throat and leaves bruises. If you are not killed this way, you are left with pain that lasts for days. Drowning, well if the person knows CPR, then you can survive.

Loss of Limbs

Here is the problem, bleeding. Fingers and toes do not count. We are talking hands, feet, arms, legs. The problem is bleeding. Unless the wound is cauterized quickly or a tourniquet is applied immediately, you will bleed to death. Loss of an arm or major limb means death within a minute. Hand or foot, you have a few minutes. Survivable, likely. Death from blood loss or infection? Highly likely.

Being stabbed in the Throat/Eye/Mouth

Yes you can survive these /IF/ the aim was not the brain or arteries. Now, whether or not you wish to survive is another story. Being stabbed in the throat is like having it slit, except deeper. You /can/ survive if you are extremely lucky. My advice, you wish to survive it, do /roll 10. If you get 9+ you survive. Stabbed in the mouth? Well, survivable if they only went through your cheeks. Eyes? Maybe. Did the attacker go /through/ your eye or just into it? If he went through, you are dead, as it would have hit your brain. If he only went in a little, you have lost your sight in that eye.

Vital Organs

What is a vital organ? Everything. Your heart is what pumps blood. Injury there means death instantly. Lungs allow one to breath. An injury here is survivable but expect problems breathing after. Stomach? Well, ever seen what acid does in movies? Well there is a lot of that inside your stomach. A stab here means a slow and painful death unless patched properly and quickly. If you read up on your anatomy, you can easily learn whether or not you can survive injury to certain organs. It takes a little research and some knowledge.

Additional Comments

Although you can get injured in many places and survive, you can also just as easily die from the injuries. Even a paper cut can kill if it gets infected. Hopefully this gives you ideas on what you can do to enjoy or spice up Healing roleplay. Several people, including myself, enjoy interacting with our patients and having something to work with. You can be the silent patient who suffers inside. Or you can be the rowdy patient who will kick everyone’s rear because the pain in their leg is too great.

All I ask, after making this guide is, have fun and please emote your injuries. I wanna roleplay too.

One thing of note is that a stomach or intestinal wound is practically as fatal as a stab to the heart. Stomach acid contains a massive amount of bacteria, and if that makes it out of your intestinal tract and into your body you /will/ die of sepsis in short order.

Good point but I did not feel like going into details as to what each organ will do when it is harmed. Most people wont even roleplay the internal injury, so those that do, should read up on the organ before trying the injury, they may run into some issues.

I have a big question!, How would someone know these medical treatments in the medieval years?. 

-=-

And if someone wants to role play healing this would be a great guide, just the first question is what is bugging me about this.

I have a big question!, How would someone know these medical treatments in the medieval years?. 

-=-

And if someone wants to role play healing this would be a great guide, just the first question is what is bugging me about this.

Even in medieval times there was a lot known about medicine. They used herbs and many patients did not survive their wounds.

However this is also a fantasy server where there is magic that can heal wounds (if you find the right people) This is more of a guide on how to emote to healing not how to heal. That is something I plan to work on with Hex and other Healers when i get the chance.

I understand, this is a fantasy server although when healing comes into play some of the things of which you gave a role playing guide towards could only of been solved in the modern day, not within medieval life, as with fantasy by hand/herbs/bandages.

Now with magic yes, things can be healed to an extent (unless you are a monk).

I understand, this is a fantasy server although when healing comes into play some of the things of which you gave a role playing guide towards could only of been solved in the modern day, not within medieval life, as with fantasy by hand/herbs/bandages.

There were many treatments that could be made in medieval times. Again, this isnt a guide on actual healing. This is a guide on how to emote during a healing. It honestly has gotten to the point people have not been emoting their wounds or they will go halfway through a healing and ask if I am done. You are welcome to discuss medieval healing techniques with me in PM. I plan to write a guide on that later with help from other healers in the server.

Even in medieval times there was a lot known about medicine. They used herbs and many patients did not survive their wounds.

However this is also a fantasy server where there is magic that can heal wounds (if you find the right people) This is more of a guide on how to emote to healing not how to heal. That is something I plan to work on with Hex and other Healers when i get the chance.

LEECHES..

Lots..

And lots..

Of leeches.

But if you use leeches, people think you're a bad doctor! BUT WHY WOULD YOU USE LEECHES DOCTOR WHEN THERE'S FINE POTIONS AVAILABLE FROM THE AMAZING GIFT OF ALCHEMY?!

This isn't Medieval life as so many seem to think, this is a fantasy server. The herbs we have on said server are clearly able to do a lot more then what most herbs in RL can do.

Not to mention alchemy, which can do a lot of things medical wise.

Very nice guide! I learned a lot about healing emoting, and it was an enjoyable read. Good job and +1!

Teehee. Artimec is a crude doctor.

I, personally look forward to the part of RP where we patch people up as opposed to the part where everyone is trying to shank eachother.

+1, good guide.

And yes, this is fantasy with strong medieval elements, not a medieval world. Healing can be more advanced than it was in 1066.

thank you everyone for the support ^_^

This takes place roughly in accordance to about 1400CA, Art.