[✓] [Creature Lore] Spiderlings / Anthró̱pina Aráchni̱

Teemo

An entry from an anonymous author-

“Deep within the caves of Anthos lay dark things. Many run out, their eyes wide with fear as they tell stories of dark creatures of human descent. Oddly, many do not return after all groups of 5 or even 10 return to towns bloody and battered their numbers depleted and some of them unable to use words to speak of what they have just seen. These creatures of fale are the sly, cunning Spiderlings.

These...creatures from what I gather in my research are half human, half spider. They are silent as they walk kidnapping all who are stupid enough to wander off the path in the night. They are able to spit venom and are able to create webs. Their fangs from what many have seen are 3 inches long and capable of pumping enough venom to leave their foe paralyzed within moments.

I have only heard tales of these things and I plan to explore the caves of Anthos and conduct a study on one of these one day, but for now I can only go on the description and information of those who were brave enough to survive the devastation of these passive creatures that stalk in forests and the deepest of caves.

DandD4.jpg

Description-

Spiderlings, what I have given their name as are widely described as those with the abdomen and head of a human and the body of a spider. Their skin is extremely pale and because of their behavior I reason to believe that they are mostly blind and weak in the sunlight. They have 8 legs and two human arms, their skin very pale and their veins and blood vessels showing through their skin.

These creatures have been reported to be as a normal Orenian man but some can be as big as a full grown Hansetian. Despite their size, they are extremely quick and agile among the forests and caves, able to climb their webs and through thick bramble with ease. Their methods of attack are very broad ranging from venom, fangs, claws, and webs for defense. The venom they use is a strong neurotoxin able to put a man to his feet in moments with no known cure for the poison other than magical healing.

The Spiderlings silk is as strong as a normal spiders and can be harvested if one would be able to kill these creatures. Their fangs are truly something to make awe for. Although their skin is almost colorless their fangs are black, their mouth representing something close to a spiders but their face is most certainly human. Their bodies represent that of a giant spider able to produce webs and scuttle around caves easily.

Where they live-

The pale skin of these creatures leads me to believe they are limited to caves, however it is hinted they live in thick forests among the trees. More specifically the Witch Woods of Lenfarthing and the Orcish Jungle. However, it is only known that they live in the deepest darkest caves and labyrinths.

If you were able to kill one of these creatures their rooms are often littered with gold and armor enough to supply a small army. This is due to the stupidity and sheer strength and cunning ability of these creatures. The cave is almost always covered in mass amounts of sticky webs and pits to prevent wary visitors from entering the caves. However, many ignore the warning and head into the cave anyway. The number of these parties range from 3-20 people and the amount of Spiderlings in the cave can range from 1 to a giant colony of 20 Spiderlings a force to be truly reckoned with.

Fighting One-

The Spiderling is fierce and mighty in combat, able to outwit their opponent and trick them into a trap. They range in weapons from their fangs, their claws, and traps. The best way to kill one is to outwit it by trapping it in its own trap. Sometimes, Spiderlings can be seen carrying massive spears manufactured from an unknown but skilled source of smithing. Their method of production is unknown.

A spiderling can become entangled in its own web and it is the best way to defeat one. While extremely agile, they can be tripped up by taking off 2 of their pointy, slender legs. When fighting one many die from being cornered or poisoned. Their poison will continuously weaken those who were bitten until they fall unconscious and paralyzed for many hours.

Behavior-

The Spiderling is a passive creature only attacking when provoked. However not all of these creatures have been known to be cold blooded killers when met face to face but rarely. Spiderlings are fierce in combat and like to remain isolated, fixing up their home with shiny decorations and webs. They rarely come out to hunt and when they do it is for blood. The Spiderling kills by draining fluid from the body effectively draining all the blood from the being it attacks.

It is unknown is these creatures are sentient beings and if they are they know little to no common resorting to mimicking the screams of pain from their victims or few words such as help. It is known they have figured out how to forge their own weapons, spears and cloaks made of silk. I believe they are sentient but too scared to become integrated into society and vice versa. Their appearance as not a myth but fact will cause mass hysteria in many different areas of Anthos.

Abilities and Weakness’-

The Abilities of a Spiderling vary. Some of them prefer to use their fangs, slender and hollow black fangs reaching up to 6 inches but usually 3 inches. These fangs are capable of injecting a neurotoxin into their victims causing failure of muscles, nausea, weakness, and finally paralysis until death occurs.

The Spiderling may also use their claws, long gnarled claws. However their best defense method is their silk which can ensnare not only animals but large groups of men. The silk is as strong as if not stronger than steel.

The Spiderling is not without weakness however. Although they are agile and strong they are extremely vulnerable by taking their legs off. Just two legs is all it takes to render one of these creatures immobile. Their silk as I have found is mildly flammable able to burn but the silk will eventually burn out within time. The Spiderling is also very weak and several large sized stones would be able to crush these creatures (or giant shoes). It also appears they can’t swim their homes usually void of large water sources.

Anatomy-

From description, I have gotten mixed opinions but from guessing it appears the top half of their body works very much like a human. Their organs must be similar save for the mouth which contains poison glands presumably in the neck area. Their mouths as well are comparable to a spider. They also have two human arms and six long, black and pointy legs.

The back side of the creature is like a spider it closely resembles that of the fabled centaur creatures. Their legs giving them great agility, speed and balance. It is not known what is located in here but the silk is produced in here. It is presumed this area contains muscles and glands for producing silk as well as a way to expel waste.

"This is the limit to my information, I wish those who encounter these creatures to stay wary."

((Created by me, written and fleshed out by DrDovahkiin))

I'll assume it's an ET only creature? I'd add a mention of that if so.

What else can I pick on... If possible I'd like the description of their mouth to be more... descript? I'm unsure if they have mandibles or teeth.

Also, there's a bit of an error in the first sentence of the paragraph describing size. Personally, I'd measure it in feet rather than Orenians, but that's your choice.

Otherwise, I like the lore. It has a lot of promise to become very interesting.

Would they be a event monster for players or an ET only thing? If they were for players to play as, how would you limit them?

Alright, seeing as I did most if not all of the lore writing with a bit of help from my friend...it'll be limited to me and him and et. Possibly expanding it to another as I can see much powergaming and a lot of complaining if this was like ghosts.

Agreeing with DrDovakiin It will just be me and him with some ETs if they want to. Maybe later on add more throw an application similar to a va.

Agreeing with DrDovakiin It will just be me and him with some ETs if they want to. Maybe later on add more throw an application similar to a va.

'cause LoTC needs more applications. (Just teasing if you didn't realize.) 

The application is just to filter out people who might not be able to rp as a Spiderling well and make it not fun or power game.

(Call them something cooler)

They are called spiderlings because they are half spider = spider and half human +ling like and halfling

I told him that, I suggested Vrak. It sounds cool don't it?

i gave it a cooler name it is greek for human spider / spider man

Hello, I am currently helping this person write more lore by rping with the beast.

I have some MAJOR problems.

1. A sword can't cut through the webbing, but a person wiggling can escape from it EASILY.

2. The venom insta kills you, or at least paralyzes you for a lifetime.

I also have some complaints about how this beast was RPed, I hop someone else was to RP this creature, because frankly, I_love_dirt kind of power games when using this creature.

~TechnoBeast

Hello, I am currently helping this person write more lore by rping with the beast.

I have some MAJOR problems.

1. A sword can't cut through the webbing, but a person wiggling can escape from it EASILY.

2. The venom insta kills you, or at least paralyzes you for a lifetime.

I also have some complaints about how this beast was RPed, I hop someone else was to RP this creature, because frankly, I_love_dirt kind of power games when using this creature.

~TechnoBeast

1: Spider Silk is stronger than steel so I can see why you wouldn't be able to cut out of the web when you were ensnared in it. Just by having him let you wiggle out puts the powergaming on you since a spider would usually spin you into a cacoon.

2: The Venom does not INSTA kill you, it's a neurotoxin rendering you paralyzed.

I can see where your coming from as he is brand new...but you should really talk to one of us before posting on how terrible his rp job was/

It seems to me that the creature can climb walls which is a no-no if players were to play them. Furthermore part of the great thing about monsters is that they aren't an everyday encounter. Having players constantly play these will render them boring quite fast. 

Yes to the lore

Yes to ET playing them

No to players

EDIT: Also spider's silk is -relatively- as strong as steel. A single thread is not. A sword would be able to slash through the webs easily. There is a chance that the sword or any other part of the victims body would bet stuck on a web. Think LOTR. The webs were able to be slashed through until Frodo, god bless his soul, got stuck.