Endeavour Steam Power Lore

AndrewTech

https://docs.google.com/document/d/11YQ8GxpCIv4Q_NR8MkfNYnPNCvpTjG8yGtiLWu6S41k/edit

This is lore for how The Gallmore Engineering Corps got steam power and weapon technology for the creation of a single steam-powered exploration cruiser, the Endeavour.

We do NOT want to try to break the dwarvish monopoly on steam power. This lore, if accepted, WOULD NOT GIVE GALLMORE THE RIGHTS TO MAKE STEAM POWERED SHIPS AT WILL. THIS WOULD BE A ONE-TIME, ONE-SHIP THING. And even then, it isn't even meant to be a warship; it's an exploration vessel meant to be a platform for exploration events.

And, by the way, this was all genuinely done in RP, if you were wondering. Hence the enclosure of Screenshots in this document for proof that this actually HAS happened in an RP process.

I like steampunk-esque things, so I support this. However, I don't think many other people will.

No, just no. LoTC is not to advance that far into modern time. Simply NO.

EDIT: Yes I know dwarves are that far. But everyone doing this is not an option. Also, this would not be capable of being done in RP without HOURS of IRL time trying to figure it out without the original way that they were made, which, was by dwarves.

EDIT: Yes I know dwarves are that far. But everyone doing this is not an option. Also, this would not be capable of being done in RP without HOURS of IRL time trying to figure it out without the original way that they were made, which, was by dwarves.

Then explain magic, alchemy, and all the other 'fantasy' related things that are in LotC. They had to have happened someway without an exponential amount of IRL time.

Wot. How is steam power modern times lol? 

I support this, and any fluid advancement in LOTC's technology. 

I approve of this, personally. One time, one ship. I don't want a huge steampunk overhaul anytime soon, but one thing isn't going to kill us.

Well, actually read it?

We do NOT want to try to break the dwarvish monopoly on steam power. This lore, if accepted, WOULD NOT GIVE GALLMORE THE RIGHTS TO MAKE STEAM POWERED SHIPS AT WILL. THIS WOULD BE A ONE-TIME, ONE-SHIP THING.

Plus, we only ripped out the engine from a dwarven ship and installed it in a more peaceful one.

Also, I feel that this actually falls under clause three of the lore regulations, and thereby does not actually NEED a lore post.

3. Anything which can be done completely in-character, be it an invention or magical artifice within the confines of a character’s MA, can be RPed without a lore post provided it is neither powergaming nor a one-handed crossbow. If in doubt, okay it with a GM. If it grants significant power, a lore post is advised to prevent powergaming accusations.

The dwarves have steam power not to grant an advantage but because it's dwarfy. Their steam lifts explain Craftbook lifts that the rest of us just use and treat as an OOC thing. Their steam ships aren't any better than the sailships of other races. Reader, don't go and tell me a load of history and technology to contradict the statement that steamships have no advantage over sailships, because I know from a realistic standpoint that's incorrect. Allow me to explain why a steamboat is no better than a sailboat on LotC.

In part it's because LotC does not follow real life timelines (invalidating "this historical group had this invention then" arguments") or even real life physics. Thus, nothing is out of our technological reach based on when it was invented RL.

"So Lago, why don't we have guns then?" you ask. Allow me to answer.

The reason we don't have guns is NOT because in history guns were invented later, because for LotC history dun meen sheet.
The actual reasons are as follows:

• A: Because we don't have any way to represent them properly.
  • B: Because guns do not fit the setting and the world. It's not "is it possible according to RL physics," it's "is this laser rifle insanely immersion breaking and out of place?"
  • C: We like bows and swords and if we put in guns they'd all die out.

So let us apply these reasons to steamships.

Do we have a way to represent them?

Kind of. We can represent them no better or worse than any other large boat, with an MC build.

Do they fit the setting?

For the dwarves, they're already in the setting. The dwarves have steamboats and steamlifts. It feels eccentric and it feels like high tech for a low tech world. It feels dwarfy. A big ugly steamship belching smoke from its riveted smokestacks is far more dwarven than an elegant sailship moving gracefully across the water at sunset. Does it fit Gallmore? Arguably yes. Gallmore is an eccentric place, and most of their eccentricities do not violate the three reasons I stated above. They have a rather modern looking apartment building there, but it fits the crazy hodgepodge aesthetic of Gallmore and certainly doesn't run the risk of causing our beloved Al'Khazar Tudor Houses to die out.

So we get the the big one. Will steamships make our beloved sailships die out?
Were this reality, hell yes. In history steamships made sailships die out. However, remember what I said before. Anthos doesn't give a damn about Earth History, and steamships will never replace sailships. Why is that? When you look at a boat and what it does in LotC, you shall see.

In LotC a boat gets you from A to B over a body of water. The boat builds cannot move unless worldedited, in which case they move instantly. This is what I call a Roleplay Mechanic. It's what's left when you strip all the lore off of something, and understanding them is key to creating that lore in the first place. That's what lore is for, after all. It explains the Roleplay Mechanics, it doesn't control them.

All boats follow the same roleplay mechanics, and the advantages of one boat over another in reality are completely negated by this. Lightsabers are better than swords, but if lightsabers are represented by the iron sword item, you'll still get swords because lightsabers don't have a true advantage. Likewise, be it a sailship, a ramshackle raft, a steamship or a killer robot hovercraft, all it will do is get you from A to B over water.  We have no sailing plugin nor boat plugin, the roleplay mechanic remains the same. The steamship has no true advantage. It is simply putting different lore to the same roleplay mechanic.

So we've established now that the dwarves having steamships is not a bad thing. It's more dwarfy and conveys no actual advantage. Gallmore is, by its nature, an incredibly eccentric place, it's VonSchlichten after all. Given how crazy the place is, to me a single steamship, the island's pride and joy, would fit right in. I think it's very much in VonSchlichten's capabilities to build one, and if not, it could easily be a salvaged dwarven wreck.

Is there a reason not to let Gallmore have their one steamship? I don't see one. The roleplay mechanic is unchanged, it's just explained IC in a different way. They'd be no worse off with a sailship, the only difference would be the shape of the build and a slightly less interesting Anthos.

Had they just gone ahead and built it, most of us would likely never have known nor cared.

The character's name is Giovanni Nicodemo, it was passed down to his grandson Kai Nicodemo. I had been playing Kai but left due to real life obligations. (My father had passed away) And Kai traded for the flame imp, having it installed into the ship for a source of power. I will be contacting you in-game. But I hope you change the lore a bit to fit "Giovanni" instead of "Zeedus FrostBlood" 

Evolution

A special case one-time case, not an evolution.  Unless we can breed and trap fire-imps, this will just be a engineering wonder , not a technological advancement or a tech revolution. 

Interesting. I would say no to the weapons but I'm good with the ship.

The Dwarves have a monopoly because IC it fits them and really does not suit any other race/group. I mean the only reason Alras tried to build one was simply to try, and I still carry IC wise the blueprints and other test results from Alras's attempt to make one before we were shut down by Native who said they would never be allowed. And yet I have never went and built one because meh, I prefer galleons and other big 5 masted sailing ships.

As for the weapons, can't say I would approve of it. Cannons were already outlawed because of the abuse by other nations, can only see the same happening and besides don't think we could create enough steam power to fire a projectile or such. At least with current designs of the dwarves and others.

Now, if your simply updating your ballista and such to a more efficient form I suppose so, but nothing too serious.

Interesting. I would say no to the weapons but I'm good with the ship.

The Dwarves have a monopoly because IC it fits them and really does not suit any other race/group. I mean the only reason Alras tried to build one was simply to try, and I still carry IC wise the blueprints and other test results from Alras's attempt to make one before we were shut down by Native who said they would never be allowed. And yet I have never went and built one because meh, I prefer galleons and other big 5 masted sailing ships.

As for the weapons, can't say I would approve of it. Cannons were already outlawed because of the abuse by other nations, can only see the same happening and besides don't think we could create enough steam power to fire a projectile or such. At least with current designs of the dwarves and others.

Now, if your simply updating your ballista and such to a more efficient form I suppose so, but nothing too serious.

I don't believe they have cannons. They took my Scorpions and heavy duty ballista (Stone reinforced) off of my ship and added it to theirs, there's no cannons aboard.