[Lore Idea] Gem Evocation

Cjmate

Gem Evocation

2ld7y40.jpg

Gem evocation is the process of evoking inert properties within gemstones. When released, the gems will aid the wearer by emitting certain properties, which can affect the holder both physically and mentally. Although the process of releasing a gem is similar to enchanting, you are not imbuing the gem with magic. You are releasing properties that are already present.

Each gem has a certain grade of stress. They take a toll on the bearer and will cause them to become fatigued if overused. This applies to most, but some are lesser than others. I rank them from A-D. This is in order from highest tier to lowest. Evoking gems are all equally difficult; however, the drawback lies in how they are used. Forcing gems to push beyond their limit will destroy them, and they may kill or harm the user.

A ranked gems take immediate,  immense toll on the body, which may lead to collapse entirely if the person is weak. These will begin to destroy the body if used in prolonged situations.

B ranked gems are average gems, they slowly make the person become fatigued. They can be used in an average fight, but it is not suggested for them to be relied on.

C ranked gems cause little stress on the body, but they cannot be used all day.

D ranked gems cause no stress on the body. These usually do very little, or they work very slowly.

The following is a list of gems, their properties, as well as possible in game items they can be role-played as:

*I will only be using gems that have possible in game items for them to be roleplayed as. This is to avoid confusion and give the craftsman appropriate trade for the imbued items.

Ruby: Redstone dust

Ruby gives the wearer increased wisdom. It is helpful for those that are not particularly intelligent, or trying to make an unwise being see error in his train of thought. Rank B.

Emerald:

Emerald increases fertility. This works for both bearing and conception. [i will have to talk to someone else to see if this will work on the Elf race. I like to think it will, though not to the point of a normal person.] Rank C.

Diamond:

Diamond is the most difficult of all of the gems to evoke; however, it is the most powerful of all of the gems. It has the power to greatly amplify the power of other gems. Rank A.

Amethyst: Spider eye or a soulstone

Amethyst calms the nerves, allowing for clarity. It can be used for clearing the mind. This is a common tool, but it can be especially useful for meditating or studying. Rank C.

Sugilite: Magenta dye

Sugilite is the healer's stone. It is used to amplify healing, both through material and magical means. Rank B if using materials. Rank A if using magic.

Carnelian: Glowstone dust

Carnelian improves analytical reasoning skills. This includes banishing sorrow, anger, lust, envy, and other emotions that get in the way of thought. Rank C.

Garnet: Charcoal

Garnet is the stone of blood. It can be used to draw out toxins from the body, or speed up the time it takes for blood to clot. Rank B.

Onyx: Ink sac

Onyx is used for spiritual guidance. It can be used to obtain enlightenment, as well as speaking to spirits. Rank A.

Hematite: Light gray dye

Hematite reduces stress and gives the bearer self-awareness of his or her faults. Similar to a sad drunk. Rank C.

Jasper: Stone button

Jasper protects the user from mind invasion. It gives the bearer energy. Rank B.

Sapphire: Lapis lazuli

Sapphires invoke peace and happiness within the bearer. If used by a powerful mind, it may be able to read the future. Rank D. Rank A if you are trying to read the future.

Topaz: Pink dye

Topaz increases both mental and physical stamina. It allows one to push his body and mind to the limit without breaking. After release, it will cause the body to crash. It is similar to an extreme sugar rush. Rank A.

Tiger's eye: Gold nugget

Tiger's eye destroys anxiety and promotes non-reckless courage. It makes the bearer confident. Rank B.

Peridot: Cactus green

Peridot is used for growth. Children born small or sickly will benefit from this, but it also encourages the body to heal faster over long periods of time. It does not produce fast results, but it also the only gem that does not drain the body. Rank D.

Pearl: Bone meal

Pearl is used to balance both the mind and body. It is a less spiritual version of Onyx. Rank C.

Sodalite: Light blue dye

Sodalite slowly absorbs and neutralizes negative thoughts from both yourself and those around. This gem has a wider area of affect, but the results will greatly diminish if more people have negative thoughts. It works fine on one person, greatly lessens on two, and it only gives small doubt to three. Rank A.

Evoking Gems

Gem evocation requires that you remove all impurities from the gem. They must be purified, and this may be done in a similar manner to enchanting.

Step one: Find an appropriate gem to evoke.

Step two: Surround the stone with redstone. The redstone is used as a sponge to draw out the power of the stone. This will expunge the impurities and bring out the true nature of the stone.

Step three: Clear your mind, use your hands to hover over the gems, and meditate. You are trying to draw the power out of the stone.

Step four: It is suggested that you socket the gem into a prepared item. This makes them more practical to use.

Step five: Check to see if you have evoked the gem. Evoked gems give no sign of their power, and they will have to be practiced with. If you have managed to evoke the gem and use it successfully, it will emit a glow depending on the rank. Rank A glows like a torch, while rank D will only make the gem appear a brighter color.

Gem Lore

I do not want to make up a history for this. I believe it should be a new skill. If I can get it accepted, I will write a story about the people who will discover it.

OOC information

I do not believe that this craft is particularly strong, and it has zero use in a pvp situation. It is heavily limited in rp fighting as well. I do not think that it is game breaking. It has no other purpose than adding fun and unique roleplay. I hope that it encourages more people to take up a craft trade. Because of this, I do not believe the trade to evoke it should be particularly high. These are not enchanted items, and their purpose is solely for roleplay. They provide no clear benefits.

If I can get this accepted, I will improve upon it and add more gems with increasing diversity. Most of the ones I have now deal with emotions, but I think we can find some more interesting things to add. I would like to see more physically practical ones in the future, such as invisibility.

The power will be in the gem itself, it has no affect on metal necklaces, rings, or swords.

Edit: These will be pretty rare because you will have to /modreq making it. I doubt it will be common knowledge at first.

Edit2: My main purpose for this post is to create a skill that actively makes non-combat oriented items. Most custom items are based on combat, and I want to encourage unique roleplay for people that do not like to fight.

I appreciate this in-depth lore for a type of magic that I believe will inspire plenty of roleplay.

TaricSquare.png :Gems? Gems are truly outrageous. They are truly, truly, truly outrageous. 

I'd change the name, unless I misread this post. When you said gem evocation, I thought you meant creating gems from the void, which is do-able with geomancy, not drawing special powers from it.

I'd change the name, unless I misread this post. When you said gem evocation, I thought you meant creating gems from the void, which is do-able with geomancy, not drawing special powers from it.

I am using the definition, "The act of evoking". Which in this case is to evoke the properties within the gem. I can see how it is misread given the already established evocations. I may have to change it.

All effects are mostly phycological, and can be just believed without being true. Example is real life ones, sometimes it just works without there being an explanation. Enchanting can remove impurities from gems as far as I know, and since it respects the mechanical standard, you're good to go.

Just remember, is it's true or not, up for the players. It might work on some, and on others wouldn't. If a character wouldn't believe it, it probably wouldn't work, the mind is just that powerful.

[Edit] I sugest you place this lore on roleplay section and remove the 'true' validity of it. Creating a belief instead of a true magic is far more interesting.

Probably a good idea to change it, given that the context of LotC already has a meaning for evocation. The same goes for things like "aura". Even though their meaning is universal, in this world they are already defined to mean a certain thing which makes you definition 'wrong' based upon the current perspective.

And I agree with Jistuma. A belief system about the properties of gems can be just as good. The psychological effects of fervently believing that something will happen is often enough to make it so, provided all the gem affect's are inward.

All effects are mostly phycological, and can be just believed without being true. Example is real life ones, sometimes it just works without there being an explanation. Enchanting can remove impurities from gems as far as I know, and since it respects the mechanical standard, you're good to go.

Just remember, is it's true or not, up for the players. It might work on some, and on others wouldn't. If a character wouldn't believe it, it probably wouldn't work, the mind is just that powerful.

[Edit] I sugest you place this lore on roleplay section and remove the 'true' validity of it. Creating a belief instead of a true magic is far more interesting.

I am not entirely sure if I want to do that, and I may talk to Lago about it. I eventually want to build on this if it becomes acceptable, and then start adding gems that actually have physical properties. If I do not do this, I may create two seperate posts. I will change this to belief, and then add lore for actual magical items. My main purpose for this is that I want to add non-combat oriented custom items into the game. I want to encourage enchanted items for something other than pvp. Psychological effects were the easiest to come by.

Reminds me a bit of Allomancy from the Mistborn series. I'd like to see this in LoTC. +1

*glomps chris as the mention of allomancy*

Reminds me a bit of Allomancy from the Mistborn series. I'd like to see this in LoTC. +1

If anything it'll most likely be closer to one of the Stormlight Archive abilities that have not yet been revealed.

Regardless, I like it, so why the hell not?

*is not sure what glomp means, but he gets it

I never heard of it before, Lark! :huh22: