[Idea] Dreamcasting | Illusionary/mental Branch

The Media Wizard

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dream-Casting be implemented?

• Yes! Fantastic idea and write up!
    • Yes! Perhaps some more information, though.
    • Maybe. Still unsure.
    • No! Needs more information.
    • No! Dreams are for the weak.

FloatingIslandWyana.jpg

DREAM-CASTING | ILLUSIONARY/MENTAL BRANCH

Azoth lies in his bed late at night, his eyes glazed over in thought as objects such as books, scrolls, and quills float around his bed. He exhales softly as he turns his head to the side, resting his eyes upon Sophia beside him. He smiles softly as the objects in the room come to a standstill. Azoth extends his hand over to Sophia, lightly brushing her hair and smiling softly.

"You know," he says calmly to her, "sometimes I wish I knew what was going on in that little world of yours when you're sleeping."

Azoth smiles a moment before his eyebrows raise slightly, an idea forming. The objects in the room quickly rush back into their places, seemingly untouched. Azoth turns onto his side, facing Sophia completely as he steadies his breathing.

"Okay... a world," he says softly in a hushed tone. "... beautiful, blue skies... floating islands, yes... waterfalls into the land below..."

He smiles as he then rests his hand upon Sophia's head. A rush is felt as Azoth suddenly finds himself there; standing upon a large, floating island in the middle of a jungle. He laughs to himself softly before turning and seeing Sophia beside him, happy and simple.

What is Dream-Casting?

Dream-Casting is a cunning and inventive way of utilizing Illusionary and elements of Mental magic to enter another's dream. Upon entering said dream, the user has almost full control over their surroundings and the world itself. They do not, however, hold the ability to control the other person; they control themselves through your casting.

How does Dream-Casting work?

Through the use of Illusion upon a tired and resting mind, an Illusionist uses little mana in creating another, virtual realm. Transmitting this to the other's mind, they can then enter the world alongside the dreamer and Guide them through a dream sequence. During this connection, however, both the mage and the dreamer are oblivious to outside events, save for injury and pain.

A dream is also maintained by the dreamer, funneling their own creative abilities through the mage and into the Dream Realm.

What is the Dream Realm?

Every dream realm is unique to that specific mage. They control the geography, weather, time, and anything else within the world. Most mages like to let their creativity run wild in such lands, though, spawning impressive structures and monuments of stone and grass.

epic-art-beggin-to-be-made-film-floating

flying_elf_mage_by_greyhawke74-d3cw7se.j

What are the negative effects?

Although Dream-Casting can be fun, it can also be dangerous. Mages have little control over what parts of their imagination are allowed into such a place as the Dream Realm. This can cause massive creatures, deadly natural events, and even old rivals and such to reappear.

Another would be the use of Dream-Casting for evil. But, sadly, this is almost impossible to use. A simply pure and good magic? No such thing!

Well, this is wrong in this case. If a mage causes a Nightmare for the other person, the shock of these events would scare most out of their dreams, breaking the connection and awakening both parties. But, with enough control on the Mage's part and calming tones, they can try and keep the connection alive by solving problems.

Guidlines

+ Death within dreams causes awakening, not real-world death.

+ Mages and Dreamers are completely inactive in the real-world during a Dream-Cast.

+ Dreams cannot last forever.

+ Trying to Dream-Cast someone who is awake will be much more difficult, and nearly impossible.

+ Death of a Mage in the real-world will result in connection loss.

+ Death of Dreamer in real-world will result in absence of the person in the dream, the world starting to fall apart without any balance.

+ Nightmares can be purposely caused, by highly unlikely to stick.

+ User must be touching Dreamer to enact Casting. Disruption of this can result in awakening.

Conclusion

Just a simple idea and a new take on some current magics that could potentially start some new, fun and "out of this world" RP. Any questions, feel free to post! :D

I am more than certain this already exists. The Dream-realm can be done in this way by Mental mages...

Sounds like fun !

Heyyy. I wrote lore like this. Cognitive Existentialism. Got denied tho. 

Nice lore ya got thar. +1. I can link my version of this concept, if you want any ideas on a few kinks both me and Pengepi tried to work out in this concept. Including the fact time is without meaning in a dream, even if created.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_-PE735yGmrylxeLER3G8mcbGnWKGK2OMIPjpF0F1h8/edit

I am more than certain this already exists. The Dream-realm can be done in this way by Mental mages...

Would you mind sending me a link through a PM of this, then?

Would you mind sending me a link through a PM of this, then?

Actually, this does exist within the realm of Mind Magic and I've been using it myself for quite some time, but I called it the Dreamscape. The limitations are actually very similar to yours.   :D

It was actually a branch off of Environment-Changing illusions. Jon021, the creator of Mind Magic, actually did something similar to this often, though claimed it as Environment-Changing illusions. I took it and set it as it's own skill.

As the current holder of Mind Magic lore, I'd be glad to have this as the official guideline and documentation for it, save for one small change:

It can be used on targets who are awake, though the more awake they are, the harder it is to maintain the dream with being fully rested (having just woken up) being near impossible for even a master Mind Mage.

That change would have it be almost exactly my limitations.

Actually, this does exist within the realm of Mind Magic and I've been using it myself for quite some time, but I called it the Dreamscape. The limitations are actually very similar to yours.   :D

It was actually a branch off of Environment-Changing illusions. Jon021, the creator of Mind Magic, actually did something similar to this often, though claimed it as Environment-Changing illusions. I took it and set it as it's own skill.

As the current holder of Mind Magic lore, I'd be glad to have this as the official guideline and documentation for it, save for one small change:

It can be used on targets who are awake, though the more awake they are, the harder it is to maintain the dream with being fully rested (having just woken up) being near impossible for even a master Mind Mage.

That change would have it be almost exactly my limitations.

I would be 100% alright with this! But I am curious to the fact of my character, Socari, being able to utilize this ability through time and practice. :D

This seems somewhat like a hybrid between Mind Magic and Cognitism (illusion directed at the self), my own creation. Perhaps you would like to collaborate?

Of course.

This seems somewhat like a hybrid between Mind Magic and Cognitism (illusion directed at the self), my own creation. Perhaps you would like to collaborate?

I think Cognitism could add a new level to it like allowing the caster to remain awake. Though the key difference to this, I think, is that there has to be a target mind. Without a mind to link to, the Mind Mage couldn't perform this feat as with any other Mind Magic skill.

I'd say think of it like two people having the same lucid dream, linked through the mental powers of a Mind Mage.

However, I'll bite. Mind if I got in on this? We can all discuss this further.

dae le matrix.

Btw. I wanted to make a mental magic character who was like a native american shaman. He would lucid dream to enter other people dreams and kill them. Don't see how that's possible with lore like this however.