[Lore] An Addition To Soul Puppetry (+ Lock To The Magic)

Malaise

An Addition to Soul Puppetry

Written and discussed by epic_raccoon, and mthdominator.

A beginning note: ALL original lore must still be followed. This is merely an addition!

What is the addition to this lore?:

With the addition of this lore, the act of create a soul puppet with no longer be as simple as gathering the appropriate materials, and shaping a doll into the image of your victim. The intent of this lore is to provide a more challenging way to go about it, and allow for "official" puppets to be created-- Something to distinguish a soul puppet, from a regular (though disturbing) doll.

How does this lore work?:

Quite similar to how a puppeteer would conjure his harness from the void, a spell would be cast to conjure a needle of a substance dubbed "Grim". Grim would be used as a substitute for the thread used to sew these dolls together. Grim, quite simply put, is the essence of the puppeteers soul. Just as a puppeteer must harness the soul of his victim through their blood, the puppeteer must sacrifice some of his/her own to create his link to the doll, and utilize his soul to sew these dolls together. Any doll created with use of the puppeteer soul is officially a soul puppet, and may used to cast curses/hexes upon another being.

How does Grim work?:

Grim works just as yarn would when creating a puppet. It is the soul in a compact state; entirely opaque, and wispy in nature, though solid, and capable of binding the material of the puppet together. When a doll is completed, and the grim has been used to do so, the doll is officially linked to its creator, and its victim. (Note: These puppets must still follow all rules within the original lore. The victims blood must still be used to create the link to their soul, and the materials needed to apply specific curses must be present.) No being is capable of harvesting grim before being tutored by a veteran Puppeteer, already capable of the process. This being said, the magic may not be self taught, as no knowledge of said process is provided to the common man. As the puppeteer’s soul is connected to the victims, any curses performed are now far more grueling for the caster. Whilst they will not suffer the pain the victim might, they will be fatigued, and risk faster corruption of the body.

End notes:

-It is now possible to officiate a soul puppet.

-The magic is contained, and the knowledge must be taught, rather than learned.

-The puppeteer suffers further harm from the magic.

-Puppets may no longer be made with something as simple as twine.

-The process, in its nature, will be far more time consuming.

This isn't really an addition, more like a change to the lore. That aside, I have mixed feelings about this.

This isn't really an addition, more like a change to the lore. That aside, I have mixed feelings about this.

Should you wish to discuss them, I've sent my Skype to you. I'd love for you to present them to Epic and I.

I have no real idea on what it really does and like Monkey mentioned. It's more a change than addition.

What it is, simplified:

Puppet made with grim = Puppet capable of being cursed/hexed/whatnot.

Puppet made without grim  = Puppet.

And, yes, perhaps it is more of a change. I've also sent for you, Lalve. I'd like to discuss this all with both of you.

Are you even a soul puppeteer? Who taught YOU?

Stop suffocating magic, and even worse, nerfing it into the ground.

Gonna start out by saying this is the sort of heavy change that you'd think you would have discussed with the original lore creator in the first place before suggesting and that they wouldn't have to find out about it from reading the thread.

Now I will spam lots of questions that I feel would need to be answered adequately.

Where is this substance "Grim" coming from? Who has access to it? Who is able to conjure it? What is the substance itself? I know you say it is "the soul in a compact state" but whose soul? The victim's? If that's the case, can you just somehow conjure any individual's soul through this even without having any contact with them? Why does the substance come in a needle if it's supposed to act as yarn...?  Is the purpose of locking the sub-type so that only the individual perpetuating this attempted change to the lore would have access to this substance? What does this mean for roleplay that has occurred prior to this change in lore, is it all retconned as they did not have access to this substance which is supposedly the only real way of making real soul puppets?

All in all I don't really support heavy changes to established lore like this. :I But that's just my opinion, mayn.

Are you even a soul puppeteer? Who taught YOU?

Stop suffocating magic, and even worse, nerfing it into the ground.

Of course I am. I dare not meddle with things that aren't my business. You ought do the same, some time.

Gonna start out by saying this is the sort of heavy change that you'd think you would have discussed with the original lore creator in the first place before suggesting and that they wouldn't have to find out about it from reading the thread.

Now I will spam lots of questions that I feel would need to be answered adequately.

Where is this substance "Grim" coming from? Who has access to it? Who is able to conjure it? What is the substance itself? I know you say it is "the soul in a compact state" but whose soul? The victim's? If that's the case, can you just somehow conjure any individual's soul through this even without having any contact with them? Why does the substance come in a needle if it's supposed to act as yarn...?  Is the purpose of locking the sub-type so that only the individual perpetuating this attempted change to the lore would have access to this substance? What does this mean for roleplay that has occurred prior to this change in lore, is it all retconned as they did not have access to this substance which is supposedly the only real way of making real soul puppets?

All in all I don't really support heavy changes to established lore like this. :I But that's just my opinion, mayn.

Many of these questions are answered within the thread. You simply have to read it carefully. Any being may use Grim, thought it would be of no use to them, as the only written purpose is to construct these puppets. The puppeteer uses his own soul to do so, his "grim".  In regards to RP, not much will change besides the creation of the puppet. This is only existent to provide a more complicated way to go about creating the vessels used to curse a victim.

On to your questions:

Grim comes from you, the puppeteer. It is the solidified connection from your soul to the doll.

Any being has access to it, inherently, though SP is the only magic that uses it, rendering it useless otherwise.

It is the puppeteers soul. Imagine it as a monorail for the curses to travel through. Curse follows the grim. Hits the doll. Doll is connected to it's victim via the victims blood, as done in the lore. Grim is ONLY to create YOUR connection to it. No random joe may be cursed, as their blood is necessary to create the link between them and the doll. You: Need Grim. They: Need blood.

The needle, when sewn through the doll, leaves the grim behind, as if it were leaving a trail.

The purpose of locking it is in hopes of limiting the use of such a powerful magic, given the servers habit of metagaming.

All roleplay prior may still have occured. Until accepted, all RP will still occur as such. When, if accepted, this process will presumably be the "way to do it".

I won't be changing anything on the comprehensive guide collection until someone important says something. There's not much reason to lock this magic so my opinion is that it should remain open to be learnt. Its a complicated magic so it is unlikely that someone is just going to start learning it out of the blue.

I won't be changing anything on the comprehensive guide collection until someone important says something. There's not much reason to lock this magic so my opinion is that it should remain open to be learnt. Its a complicated magic so it is unlikely that someone is just going to start learning it out of the blue.

Last I remembered, people who self teach risk dying.

Soul Puppetry is perfect as it is. Whilst your ideas are ok, soul puppetry is fine as it is.

Some may agree, though I feel this point is highly opinionated. Many of my comrades see this as necessary!

Some may agree, though I feel this point is highly opinionated. Many of my comrades see this as necessary!

Yes, it is highly opinionated, I agree. It is my opinion, of course xD