Remove The Useless

TavernLich

I will try to make this short. I want the lore that is locked and/ or need some sort of thing to be able to use (being taught, sacrificing, etc.) to be free for all, and I mean ALL, if they are not active. Because what is the point of locking a magic, creature or whatever it it doesn't contribute to the server and only a few people are able to access it. Because I feel the whole locking lore and having two people on it is just an excuse of being a special snowflake. To keep lore locked and have few people on it is pointless, it adds little to no RP with the scarcity of the members allowed to use that lore. I understand things such as the ascended or Itharel need to be small because, well, they need to be regulated and are meant to be just for a select few. But, others are just way to small and just don't contribute, thank you very much!

Ok, I am gonna say this, so here goes: the necros and all them can keep on being special snowflakes... As long as they contribute to, I am not gonna lie here, my fun. I can say "for the community's" fun which is sorta what I imply but, realistically, this is for me. I want to experience RP with different and unique things, not the same thing over and over again, so, heck, I don't care if necromancers are still special snowflakes, blah, blah, BLAH! My point is, I don't care if something is locked, just as long as it provides RP and contributes to people's fun. Locking something that already barely has anyone playing is just the opposite of that. The following bellow are what I believe the staff or whoever is in power take into consideration of getting more people to play or making it free-to-play...

-Frost Witches: Aren't there supposed to be a good amount of these? I mean they are supposed to live in covens or whatever, however, in my small but well managed time here, I have seen ONE. And that was a GM... Need I explain further?

-Soul Puppetry: One of the only locked magic I don't like, basically most of the other locked magics have made an effort to increase their ranks and provide RP for others, I have seen none of this from soul puppetry. I have seen no legitimate soul puppeteer!

-Contract Magic: I have seen none of this. None, just none.

-Shades: I know there are some out their, but it is annoying that, throughout my travels I have seen no shade at all. The whole magic itself seems based around and centered around the Mage's Guild, where some people don't even know where it is!!! Seeing my problem here? There are shades and people who RP them well, but if they others can't interact with them with the exception of some baddies and Mage's who somehow know their location, there really isn't a point to them but special snowflak-i-ness.

These are the ones that I can think of at the top of my head. The other thing that pisses me off is that it is not fair. It is not fair to the groups who try hard to boost their activity within their special but awesome group. For example, Dreadknights, people call them PGers, and special snowflakes, but I think they are great, they constantly try to provide RP for others and boost activity within their little groups. They have by far gone above my expectations of the villains of LotC. Necromancers are special, but they play nice and put other's fun ahead of theirs, they have also been very active. So, in conclusion to all this mess, as long as they make me happy (Cause I'm happy!!! Get that reference?) and others, but mostly me, happy, go ahead and be special!!!

There may be point to what your saying, but if you don't mind please list the LockedMagic/Creatures that you feel are inactive, and what would you propose to do about that. As we are not privy to all things going on, so some groups may be active just not in plane view.

Locked magics and creatures are needed when the thing that is locked can be easily played incorrectly to its lore, so having it within a guild is sort of a... Lesser of two evils. I personally would rather have it that you have to join a group to learn each magic, and then once learnt you can leave at your leisure, but that is just what I would love.

Honestly? I enjoyed when all magic was locked. Searching for a teacher for magic creates a lot of RP.

All the locked magics I can think of are locked for a reason. I'm going to very tentatively divide the locked magics into minor protagonists and antagonists. Necromancers and dark magic people that sacrifice babies or whatever fun things they do are sort of minor antagonists, creating chaos and fear when they leave their piles of dead bodies or command swarms of raised dead (both things I have actually witnessed and created a good deal of RP). Clerics and shamans and druids, amma call them minor protagonists, because they go around doing good and healing people and summoning spirits and whatnot. Its special when a cleric or a necromancer or a druid visits.

They may not create a ton of RP, sure, but do mages of unlocked magics create a lot of RP as well? Not usually. Magic is useful only in given situations. An evocationist or conjurist will be useful in battles or in magical light shows. In the same way, a cleric only creates RP when a healing needs to be done or some undead creature needs to be slain with holy fire or somebody just needs a little prayer. A druid will be useful in growing stuff and battles. A shaman... Well, I don't have much experience with Shaman RP, given they live with orcs and I have never played an orc, but I'm guessing they contribute a good deal of healing and spiritual RP.

They don't even need to be unlocked. You dramatize how hard it is to find a teacher. If you wanted to be a cleric and you looked, and I mean really look, just ask random people in cities and towns, you will find a cleric. I spent two weeks searching for clerics and it was the most fun I have ever had. It's an adventure! It's a challenge! It's something to actually do when you're bored with your character's situation. If you don't pursue magic, do you really want to provide or experience RP?

It also wouldn't make RP sense for them to be unlocked and would create a HUMONGOUS hole in our lore if we just removed the lore for them. They have patrons, or specific rituals, that only they know. Void magic requires only a gentle push in the right direction of your branch of magic and you can go on that, requiring only meditation, concentration, and a great imagination. Clerics and druids need to be bound to their patrons to use their patron's powers. Shamans and necromancers, again, very unfamiliar with their lore, but I 'm pretty sure it's a similar thing.

TL;DR Locked magic should stay locked and present cause its been around for too long and thats just how the lore works for it.

I kinda miss MA's. And I hated MA's. And I was a mage when MA's were around.

The system was stupid, elitist, basically OOC running RP, and Nazi like gestapo obsessiveness over the littlest details and restrictions.

But...Magic RP was kind of more significant back then.

I'm probably being selfish though. If there was a way to keep magic free, make the actual learning process hard like it was in the MA days, but leave it open to creativity and less Nazi-like obsessiveness over detail, I'd be happy.

I want to see more creatures played by players themselves.

Redxophos, you have to give examples. Don't feel bad for stepping on toes, I need to know specifics on what you mean to even be the LM I'm meant to be. If people b*tch at you, they'll have to suck it up because what your OP reads is very vague and confusing.

Well Gaius, I guess your right, I really did not want to point fingers when I wrote the post, but I may as well. I will edit it with what /I/ think needs to be changed, these are based on whether I have ever seen them, RPed about or with them, etc, etc.

As I said, I want to help you. However, you aren't giving me examples so I am left scratching my head like Dr. Grant from Jurassic Park lol.

I AGREE. FINALLY SOMEBODY AGREES WITH ME. It is utterly ridiculous to lock things, and only leads to clique bias and unhappiness all around, especially when it's based around who likes who OOC, if unlocked like villainy and most magic types, IT WOULD NOT END THE WORLD. If somebody PGs and doesn't listen to reason, swing your banhammer for breaking rules, for what some bad apples do should NOT limit what good players can. THANK YOU.

(lol caps, I'm only making emphasis, not anger expressions.)

We need examples if you can find any, thank you.

Locking certain magic types is VERY needed. Otherwise we would have Blood Mages and Necromancers EVERYWHERE. Nobody wants that. IT would ruin the standard of rp, and make Necromancers and the like a common thing, which they're not supposed to be.

I'm laughing really hard right now about that Jurassic park reference. when you mentioned It I literally had a vision of him from the movie in this scene and just burst out laughing in front of my whole family.

Thank you for making my day!! :) The Monomyth

If nothing else, I aim to make folks laugh and have a great time!